OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Congrats to KC, but Kelce was the real winner winning Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So, we create yet another hole? And I can't imagine CA3 garners much value anyhow. We need to gain WR's not continually trade them off.

Honestly, I'd prefer we fill holes with proven commodities if possible prior to the draft. I don't expect to at Center or Tackle but you still can get Boyd who' can move the chains and block effectively in the slot. That will clearly define Pickens as our number one. I don't see a downside there. And then if you want to add a WR in the draft you can. You're just not forced to in the first couple of rounds.
We don’t need a slot WR. Arthur Smith’s offense has the lowest slot usage in the league.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We don’t need a slot WR. Arthur Smith’s offense has the lowest slot usage in the league.

So, we're gonna pin our hopes on a rookie receiver? To me that's kinda crazy. Even if they become world beaters it's gonna take time to acclimate. If we're a ''win now'' team that doesn't jive. It's ok to draft a WR, but you should have a good 1-2 punch in place prior to the draft. That just creates a lot of uncertainty there.

Truthfully the Smith offense doesn't excite me. That said I'm hoping he'll add a bit more looks over the middle be it with WR's or TE's.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So, we're gonna pin our hopes on a rookie receiver? To me that's kinda crazy. Even if they become world beaters it's gonna take time to acclimate. If we're a ''win now'' team that doesn't jive. It's ok to draft a WR, but you should have a good 1-2 punch in place prior to the draft. That just creates a lot of uncertainty there.
Truthfully the Smith offense doesn't excite me. That said I'm hoping he'll add a bit more looks over the middle be it with WR's or TE's.
I’m not sure why you’re worried about a rookie WR. The Steelers have always found WR talent in the draft. Here are the last notable rookies we’ve had slide into the WR2/3 role day 1:

Pickens (2022): 52 rec 801 yd 5 total TDs
Claypool (2020): 62 rec 873 yd 10 total TDs
Diontae (2019): 59 rec 680 yd 5 total TDs
JuJu (2017): 58 rec 917 yd 7 total TDs

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

We aren’t a win now team they didn’t want to keep DJ at 10 million they are not going to pay another wr 8 million. This is why i didn’t want to trade DJ t begin with but since they don’t pay 3rd contracts to wr he knew it’s better to be traded to a team who will pay him.

I’m not sure why you’re worried about a rookie WR. The Steelers have always found WR talent in the draft. Here are the last notable rookies we’ve had slide into the WR2/3 role day 1:

To be fair 7 was the QB who made this possible

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We aren’t a win now team they didn’t want to keep DJ at 10 million they are not going to pay another wr 8 million. This is why i didn’t want to trade DJ t begin with but since they don’t pay 3rd contracts to wr he knew it’s better to be traded to a team who will pay him.

To be fair 7 was the QB who made this possible
I 100% agree with you on not trading DJ. Right now that's the only move Khan has made I disagree with.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

That was with different OC's. And we're gonna be throwing less with Smith most likely, and at the same time Pickens is gonna get a ton of targets within that framework. So, when the new wideout does get the opportunity the margin of error IMO is lower.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
That was with different OC's. And we're gonna be throwing less with Smith most likely, and at the same time Pickens is gonna get a ton of targets within that framework. So, when the new wideout does get the opportunity the margin of error IMO is lower.
The OC doesn’t make decisions about which players to draft and they don’t get the final say on the depth chart.

I’m not following your point that the margin of error is lower. If Pickens is going to have a large target share in a low volume offense, why is a vet a better option than a rookie? Boyd isn’t a particularly good fit and will cost more than a rookie will. I have confidence the Steelers can find a player of the caliber of the 4 I mentioned in this draft. It’s the deepest WR draft in a long time.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The OC doesn’t make decisions about which players to draft and they don’t get the final say on the depth chart.

I’m not following your point that the margin of error is lower. If Pickens is going to have a large target share in a low volume offense, why is a vet a better option than a rookie? Boyd isn’t a particularly good fit and will cost more than a rookie will. I have confidence the Steelers can find a player of the caliber of the 4 I mentioned in this draft. It’s the deepest WR draft in a long time.
My point is fewer targets you gotta maximize your opportunity when you get the ball. Boyd at least is proven and a very good at blocking. I guess I feel as though we're in a very precarious position with these WR's. Doesn't mean a rookie couldn't come in and do the job, I'm just not gonna count on it.

TBH We need at C, T, CB and WR. So we have to hit homeruns with our 1st four picks as it stands now. To me that's a very daunting task. I'd prefer to solidify at least one of those areas prior to the draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno about anyone else but I'd like them to sign a guy and draft a guy fairly early. I know Smith isn't exactly Mr WR but if Pickens goes down or can't handle the pressure, that room smells like week old fish. Guys like Van Jefferson, Austin, that dude from Philly - I don't think any of them is the sort of guy you actively want at WR3, particularly if you have questions about WR2.

And if opponents operate without fear of the WRs, then the run game is gonna have to be hella good to carry things against stacked defences.

The issue with Mims is the same issue that Cleveland is going to have with the big guy they drafted last year - Mims needs to drop 20-30 pounds and be around 325. He dropped weight for the combine, but we all know that is fleeting.

I think if he drops weight he will be able to stay healthy. He is so gigantic, no one should ever be able to get into his frame. Every size measurable at the combine he set the standard for. He then ran a f***ing 5.08 40. If he played more than 8 games, we would probably be talking about him with Alt, to be honest. His physical skills are not even generational. If there was a size metric ever created that took all measurables into account, if Mims wasn't 1, he's def top 5.

I think you're the first person to say Mims has a weight issue. If anything, I've seen people marveling at how natural his bulk is. Also pretty sure he was 340 at the combine?

Reactions: T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I dunno about anyone else but I'd like them to sign a guy and draft a guy fairly early. I know Smith isn't exactly Mr WR but if Pickens goes down or can't handle the pressure, that room smells like week old fish. Guys like Van Jefferson, Austin, that dude from Philly - I don't think any of them is the sort of guy you actively want at WR3, particularly if you have questions about WR2.

And if opponents operate without fear of the WRs, then the run game is gonna have to be hella good to carry things against stacked defences.
Exactly! One injury to Pickens and it's slim pickings for the rest of the wide outs. To me we're putting ourselves in a very precarious position.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I can’t believe 31 people let alone 31 teams would attend sPitt’s pro day to watch those bums. Yeah let’s line up to watch a bunch of kids work out from a 3-9 team!! 🤣

Saw some of their workout numbers too and they were largely weak, unsurprisingly.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The ideal draft for me has the Steelers getting Mims and then moving up in the second round to grab their franchise C.

The value of their second and original third is 560, which puts them at pick 34.

They can easily move back into the middle of the third with 98 and 119 which puts them right back around where their original third was.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Falcons threw it more than we did. In Atlanta the 2nd leading target wr was Jefferson they used the te more

The ideal draft for me has the Steelers getting Mims and then moving up in the second round to grab their franchise C.

The value of their second and original third is 560, which puts them at pick 34.

They can easily move back into the middle of the third with 98 and 119 which puts them right back around where their original third was.
Anything with mims at 20 is a failure I hope they don’t like his medical records

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Trade up for Brock Bowers. Teams aren’t winning shit without a top TE. When will they learn?

Pretty sad when we still have to chant Heath.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I'm honestly more on board now with getting JP-J, and then seeing how the T situation works itself out later. There are just so many tackles.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Falcons threw it more than we did. In Atlanta the 2nd leading target wr was Jefferson they used the te more

Anything with mims at 20 is a failure I hope they don’t like his medical records

Every single pre-draft sign based on their past picks points the arrow directly at Mims being their guy.

Maybe someone slips and changes their mind, but Steelers telegraph their picks most of the time.

If Mims had more starts under his belt he’s an easy top ten pick.

Guys with his size and athleticism are ultra rare.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm honestly more on board now with getting JP-J, and then seeing how the T situation works itself out later. There are just so many tackles.
I'm still kind of hoping the run of QB'S pushes an elite CB or OT down to us. JPJ is more of the safe predictable pick. I see him as a hell of a fall back if nothing unbelievable falls to us but I get your point. With Broderick Jones ability to play either side and the depth of the tackles, we can probably find a mid round OT that can eventually do the job especially at RT. I think we're in a pretty good spot in this draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

After breaking down how many impactful centers have been taken in the first round the last ten years (basically only three), I’m going the opposite direction.

Take the best T at 20 and trade up in round 2 for JPJ, Frazier or Barton.

One of those guys will be there.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
After breaking down how many impactful centers have been taken in the first round the last ten years (basically only three), I’m going the opposite direction.

This is also how I want the draft to shake out. Then grab a Receiver in the third. Grabbing an OT like Mims and one of JPJ, Frazier, or Barton makes for the beginning of a heck of a front line.

Like you said about Mims, we had a family friend who ran a football training camp for a lot of D1 guys, including our old friend JuJu, and he always said “the one thing I can’t teach a kid is size”

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm still kind of hoping the run of QB'S pushes an elite CB or OT down to us. JPJ is more of the safe predictable pick. I see him as a hell of a fall back if nothing unbelievable falls to us but I get your point. With Broderick Jones ability to play either side and the depth of the tackles, we can probably find a mid round OT that can eventually do the job especially at RT. I think we're in a pretty good spot in this draft.

We are going to get at least two awesome players. I would like to see us try to snag another 1 or 2. This team is ready to compete now. Get after it.

Reactions: Captain Hook

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Best case scenario is undoubtably IMO:

Mims
Frazier

Both falling to them.

Then they can take bpa wr/cb/dl in the 3rd

Personally id love if Wilson and Sainistril would fall but they seem to have some helium the last month

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I'm fine with this plan if it's Frazier. I remain unsold on Barton but I'm just a dude on a message board. It just concerns me that it almost certainly requires a trade-up. I know they happen and I'm not opposed to combining assets for it, just that the uncertainty of it, requiring a partner who has what you want and wants what you have.

I just feel like you need JPJ or Frazier out of this draft. I know the discussion around first-round value at T vs C and whatnot, but if you're getting a ready-made player who improves your team... anyway.

Reactions: JTG

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hope the Steelers move down about 10 spots and pick up an extra second…I don’t think picking up a tackle project at #20 is a good move….certainly not urgent…move down and pick up some really good players at center, WR, CB, Dline…what was the point of keeping and developing Cook and Anderson at tackle last season? Sure, if a tremendous plug and play RT falls in their laps, do it, but I don’t think they need to pick up Mims and redshirt him for a year….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad