OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Congrats to KC, but Kelce was the real winner winning Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah, that's a pass for me. Very raw.
And he is more of a sure thing than Mims either guys mean Jones starts the season at RT while they redshirt

With more kicks being returned, I'm curious if we will see a return of the two kick returner sets haha.

I'm glad they are recognizing the fact that they have basically cut special teams out of the game for the last few years.
In xfl 2 kr was often used lots of reverses and trick plays

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And he is more of a sure thing than Mims either guys mean Jones starts the season at RT while they redshirt
I think Mims progression and curve would be quicker and better than Guytons. I would guess they follow the same formula as they did last year with Jones. Because he's from Georgia also gives Mims an edge. I'd be good with Latham but I doubt he's there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is true. I kind of have a similar feeling with Barton and Fantanu - in theory both should be able to play C and have no problem physically...but to go from a T to a C between college and pro is kind of crazy to me.

The plug and play guys are Alt, Fashanu, Latham, Fuaga, JPJ, and Frazier. Every other guy is going to need some time.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Mims progression and curve would be quicker and better than Guytons. I would guess they follow the same formula as they did last year with Jones. Because he's from Georgia also gives Mims an edge. I'd be good with Latham but I doubt he's there.

They both are the same size. I think Guyton is better athletically. I think Mims beats him in strength, power, and disposition.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I prefer Mims, you?

Tough one. Mims is incredible because of his length. But with that being said, is a 36 inch arm going to perform that much better than a 35? Both are freakishly long.

Guyton is incredible because of his athletic ability. Will the athletic ability of Guyton be that much more noticeable over Mims? I don't think so.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd have to meet them and know them because I think that's the difference. Who is more dedicated to this? Because at their size, they can probably pack it in and play in the league for a long time. Which one wants it more? That's who I'd pick.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tough one. Mims is incredible because of his length. But with that being said, is a 36 inch arm going to perform that much better than a 35? Both are freakishly long.

Guyton is incredible because of his athletic ability. Will the athletic ability of Guyton be that much more noticeable over Mims? I don't think so.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd have to meet them and know them because I think that's the difference. Who is more dedicated to this? Because at their size, they can probably pack it in and play in the league for a long time. Which one wants it more? That's who I'd pick.

Agree with this answer. There's a sparrow's dick difference between them as prospects physically, so pick the guy who loves it most.

Apparently the Steelers had Mims in on a pre-draft visit. Which I have to say seems a mild eyebrow raiser when everyone was at his pro day. Feels like that one could be smokescreen as much as raving interest.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Agree with this answer. There's a sparrow's dick difference between them as prospects physically, so pick the guy who loves it most.

Apparently the Steelers had Mims in on a pre-draft visit. Which I have to say seems a mild eyebrow raiser when everyone was at his pro day. Feels like that one could be smokescreen as much as raving interest.
Do they really smokescreen though? I'd say no.

I think they genuinely like Mims and I can see why. Right now the Steelers like Georgia and Wisconsin. Those two teams match our imagine perfectly. Keep diving in those wells, I say.

Reactions: WickedWrister

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That’s a deal I really would have liked to see the Steelers make. Pretty cheap and guy who has proven to be able to be a solid WR2 in a more run heavy offense.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

That should have been us.

I don't understand with the glaring hole we have in our WR core why there isn't a sense of urgency here. Even if you get a WR in the draft there's no guarantee he'll step in a be a world beater. They should get Boyd and stop f***ing around. DJ's been gone for over three weeks and our WR room is very underwhelming ATM. Fix it Khan!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think they genuinely like Mims and I can see why. Right now the Steelers like Georgia and Wisconsin. Those two teams match our imagine perfectly. Keep diving in those wells, I say.

Not often but pretty sure I've seen a former Steelers executive say that smokescreens are one of the reasons the Steelers bring guys in for visits. Plus Khan definitely does seem to be pushing a different type of Steelers.

Although he did also add that extra medical information was another and that's deffo a live one with Mims.

Pour one out for @Peat :laugh:

Think that's probably fair market value for Reynolds. Boyd probably gets around the same, maybe a tad more?

I'd like to say I don't care at all and he was just a guy that seemed to fit the profile but given how close we're getting to WR2 Van Jefferson, maybe I do :laugh:

Iirc, I don't think Boyd's recent production deserves getting more, but he's got the bigger name and the market is getting bare, so maybe he does.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Regarding Mims vs Guyton, I think I lean Mims due to pedigree and strength of competition but I admit I haven't watched any film on these guys.

Other people here have mentioned the Georgia ties, and I remember a story that came out last year when Tomlin had dinner with some players after the 2022 UGA pro day. Asking questions like, "Who should I keep an eye on when I come back here next year?" which led to us taking Broderick in 2023.

I'd like to say I don't care at all and he was just a guy that seemed to fit the profile but given how close we're getting to WR2 Van Jefferson, maybe I do :laugh:

Iirc, I don't think Boyd's recent production deserves getting more, but he's got the bigger name and the market is getting bare, so maybe he does.

Same age but Boyd has like double the career production. Or at least that's what his agent will say. Spotrac has him at like ~8.7m per, I'd like a little less than that if we're talking a true hometown discount.

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Feels more like due diligence than smokescreen but who knows.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Feels more like due diligence than smokescreen but who knows.

Yeah. At this stage I'm spitballing stuff to compare later actions to to get a feeling for what Khan is up to. It just feels odd though. This is, if I remember right, more than due diligence. If memory (and looking at this) is right, then the visits are generally a sign of who they might draft later round and it's rare to see a guy the Steelers brass already got a good look at attend.

Same age but Boyd has like double the career production. Or at least that's what his agent will say. Spotrac has him at like ~8.7m per, I'd like a little less than that if we're talking a true hometown discount.

I'm sure that's what he'll argue but the fact he's out there suggests teams don't want to buy that. Not sure I would. That bit older, declining stats.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not often but pretty sure I've seen a former Steelers executive say that smokescreens are one of the reasons the Steelers bring guys in for visits. Plus Khan definitely does seem to be pushing a different type of Steelers.

Although he did also add that extra medical information was another and that's deffo a live one with Mims.

The issue with Mims is the same issue that Cleveland is going to have with the big guy they drafted last year - Mims needs to drop 20-30 pounds and be around 325. He dropped weight for the combine, but we all know that is fleeting.

I think if he drops weight he will be able to stay healthy. He is so gigantic, no one should ever be able to get into his frame. Every size measurable at the combine he set the standard for. He then ran a f***ing 5.08 40. If he played more than 8 games, we would probably be talking about him with Alt, to be honest. His physical skills are not even generational. If there was a size metric ever created that took all measurables into account, if Mims wasn't 1, he's def top 5.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is why they are drafting a wr
And if we didn't have so many holes to fill that'd be a good strategy. But the way this is unfolding we're gonna have to hit well on 20, 51, 84 and 98. That's a tall order, even with Khan coming off a great draft last year. It be better to get one of those holes filled sooner.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
And if we didn't have so many holes to fill that'd be a good strategy. But the way this is unfolding we're gonna have to hit well on 20, 51, 84 and 98. That's a tall order, even with Khan coming off a great draft last year. It be better to get one of those holes filled sooner.
Or they are trading back and getting more picks this isn’t a 1 year sb fix anyway.
I wonder if they explore moving ca3 for a pick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Or they are trading back and getting more picks this isn’t a 1 year sb fix anyway.
I wonder if they explore moving ca3 for a pick.
So, we create yet another hole? And I can't imagine CA3 garners much value anyhow. We need to gain WR's not continually trade them off.

Honestly, I'd prefer we fill holes with proven commodities if possible prior to the draft. I don't expect to at Center or Tackle but you still can get Boyd who' can move the chains and block effectively in the slot. That will clearly define Pickens as our number one. I don't see a downside there. And then if you want to add a WR in the draft you can. You're just not forced to in the first couple of rounds.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So, we create yet another hole? And I can't imagine CA3 garners much value anyhow. We need to gain WR's not continually trade them off.

Honestly, I'd prefer we fill holes with proven commodities if possible prior to the draft. I don't expect to at Center or Tackle but you still can get Boyd who' can move the chains and block effectively in the slot. That will clearly define Pickens as our number one. I don't see a downside there. And then if you want to add a WR in the draft you can. You're just not forced to in the first couple of rounds.
How are you creating another hole trading Ca3. Right now he might not even make the team.
Boyd doesn’t do anything for us. He is a jag who wants more money than he is worth. Boyd doesn’t see himself as a wr 3 thats why he is still unsigned

Reactions: T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
How are you creating another hole trading Ca3. Right now he might not even make the team.
Boyd doesn’t do anything for us. He is a jag who wants more money than he is worth. Boyd doesn’t see himself as a wr 3 thats why he is still unsigned
Beyond Pickens he's far better than anyone else we have and he's a proven commodity. Good blocker, physical, dependable, To me that counts for something.

And if you don't think Austin might not even make the team, why the hell would anyone want to trade for him? His value is minimal. That said I'm not gonna just give him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad