OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Congrats to KC, but Kelce was the real winner winning Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If we go by tradition of Tomlin and Colbert I don’t think jpj is on the table they didn’t go to the pro day

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we go by tradition of Tomlin and Colbert I don’t think jpj is on the table they didn’t go to the pro day
Let's hope there's new traditions they embrace. Khan is not Colbert. Also heard they talked with him a lot at the senior bowl. Who knows, we'll find out in a month.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At the risk of stating the obvious, I feel like the success/strategy for the Steelers' draft hinges on if they can get a center and when.

If the assumption is that JPJ is a first-rounder, do you think you can drop back a few spots and still get him while adding a later pick? Or do you just stay home and take him at 20.

Or, do you think you can get Frazier at 51, or move up a handful of spots to get him? As I've said, Frazier is one of my three favorite players in this draft. If the Steelers could land him while still drafting someone else with their first-rounder, that could really be ideal.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up that they could somehow get both DeJean and Frazier.
They could probably get Dejean at 24 or 25, Frazier probably goes in the 30's so we'd have to move up 12-15 spots is my guess.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
At the risk of stating the obvious, I feel like the success/strategy for the Steelers' draft hinges on if they can get a center and when.

If the assumption is that JPJ is a first-rounder, do you think you can drop back a few spots and still get him while adding a later pick? Or do you just stay home and take him at 20.

Or, do you think you can get Frazier at 51, or move up a handful of spots to get him? As I've said, Frazier is one of my three favorite players in this draft. If the Steelers could land him while still drafting someone else with their first-rounder, that could really be ideal.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up that they could somehow get both DeJean and Frazier.

DeJean and Frazier solves what are our biggest two holes. The more I think about it, with Washington on the roster, we can probably wait to grab a T.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think the Oregon pro day was logistically possible given how it coincided with the start of free agency so I don't think Tomlin/Khan being absent should be read as an absence of interest.

And while normally you'd bet on them going with a player they've been closer acquainted with, this case feels ripe to be the exception and/or start of a new tradition.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If they take a center at #20, they’re a stupider organization than I thought lol…trade down if you can into the early 2nd round…first round should be special players at premium positions where you need that 5th year option to keep the cost down if they pan out: QB, OT, D line, pass rusher, WR, CB…those are the highest paid positions…it’s good asset management to take players at those positions in the first unless a really special player at another position falls in your lap…center, guard, ILB, S, RB are not premium positions…if there’s not a premium position of equal or higher ranking at #20 than the center they like, by all means take the center, but everything I’m reading about this draft suggests there likely be a premium position player of at least equal ranking to the center…

It just depends on how good JPJ ends up being. I’m in agreement that I’d rather see them take a Tackle or more premium position at 20, but no one was saying the Steelers were stupid drafting Pouncey. Or no one is calling the Ravens stupid for drafting Linderbaum.

The thing with drafting a center in the first is that you need them to be almost immediately a top ten center to justify the selection. So it’s a risk but I’d say it’s stupid only if that player isn’t borderline elite.

Reactions: bigdaddyk88 and T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
DeJean and Frazier solves what are our biggest two holes. The more I think about it, with Washington on the roster, we can probably wait to grab a T.
Do you believe Dejean can play outside cb or is he a slot guy like branch

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Glad they got Kyle Allen.

Given how many crucial needs we have burning a 5th-6th on a 3rd string QB is a bad use of resources.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Did a sim yesterday, took-
1- Mims
2- Frazier
3-Corley
4- Sanristil
I like your draft! Well done! Getting Corley in rd 3 really rounds that top 3 out. You nailed it, I'd love to have that type of draft from Khan.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
We are back up in the HFboards NFL mock draft with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Pick 98.

The top players available are:

S: Kamren Kichens, Calen Bullock
OT: Blake Fisher
OLB: Austin Booker, Gabriel Murphy
CB: Renardo Green, Jarrian Jones

Blake Fisher seems like the obvious choice because of his extensive experience at RT at a top program and has the size the Steelers like at the position. He would fit in well as the swing tackle and when Dan Moore leaves at the end of the season he could become the starting RT in 2025.

Just to recount, we have drafted:

1st: J P-J, C
2nd: Kamari Lassiter, CB (Slot)
3rd: Jalen McMillan, WR

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We are back up in the HFboards NFL mock draft with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Pick 98.

The top players available are:

S: Kamren Kichens, Calen Bullock
OT: Blake Fisher
OLB: Austin Booker, Gabriel Murphy
CB: Renardo Green, Jarrian Jones

Blake Fisher seems like the obvious choice because of his extensive experience at RT at a top program and has the size the Steelers like at the position. He would fit in well as the swing tackle and when Dan Moore leaves at the end of the season he could become the starting RT in 2025.

Just to recount, we have drafted:

1st: J P-J, C
2nd: Kamari Lassiter, CB (Slot)
3rd: Jalen McMillan, WR

Fisher seems like a no brainer to me too.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Traded back to 24, picked up an extra 3rd.

1711481407606.png

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Matt williamson on snr said Smiths offense will have more defined reads and it will be 1 and 2 read then take off. They have a much better running game then Denver and Chicago have. You could see fields line up at wr and use the cheat motion and have him throw on trick plays

That’s sounds a lot like turning him into Slash, which was fine until Kordell tried to be a real QB..

He met with them at the senior bowl and was dominating in practice, so maybe they saw all they needed to and decided to skip the pro day.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Beau Brade is a crazy over draft.

And who went in front of you picking Latham at 24? Latham right now is a consensus to go much higher. Could he slide, I guess.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Do you believe Dejean can play outside cb or is he a slot guy like branch

Multi-faceted. He is athletic enough to play outside without question. He doesn't have a position in my mind. DC's create packages for guys like him where he can read and react.

That’s sounds a lot like turning him into Slash, which was fine until Kordell tried to be a real QB..

He met with them at the senior bowl and was dominating in practice, so maybe they saw all they needed to and decided to skip the pro day.
It's funny reading about JPJ because many of the scouts reports read, "He has X, Y, and Z, players that have X, Y, and Z are successful. No reason to make it any harder."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm a bit confused about paying a 33 year old WR/RB $3 million a year for 2 years, but I realize that he'll mostly just be a return man. Still though, he was insanely unproductive last year. Only 181 rushing yards, 38 receiving yards and 153 return yards last year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm a bit confused about paying a 33 year old WR/RB $3 million a year for 2 years, but I realize that he'll mostly just be a return man. Still though, he was insanely unproductive last year. Only 181 rushing yards, 38 receiving yards and 153 return yards last year.
He's a 3rd RB who excels on punt returns. I like it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Multi-faceted. He is athletic enough to play outside without question. He doesn't have a position in my mind. DC's create packages for guys like him where he can read and react.

It's funny reading about JPJ because many of the scouts reports read, "He has X, Y, and Z, players that have X, Y, and Z are successful. No reason to make it any harder."

It’s the center stigma you don’t draft them high like RBs since quality can be found deep into the draft at these positions.

Trying to think of C taken in the first round the last 7-8 years.

Best ones:

Tyler Linderbaum - mid 20s and an anchor/ pro bowler for Ravens.

Ryan Kelly went top 20… became a pro bowler.

Frank Ragnow went top 20 and was also a pro bowler.

Lot of meh:

Garrett Bradberry was top 20 and solid, don’t remember any pro bowls.

Cesar Ruiz was mid 20s and became more of a swing man than a dominant C.

Bust:

Billy Price was like pick 22 or 23 and was mostly a bust.

That’s the ones I rem, maybe missing a guy or two but it’s pretty rare a C goes in the first and only a few have really worked out the last decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad