OT: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: The Sixers Used Harden - It Wasn't Very Effective (Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I saw last night:

Matisse started slow but hit his last two 3s, they want him to keep shooting, I think with him it's all about confidence, he rushes his shot and has to settle down, but the potential is there to be an average 3 point shooter (note to Ben, that's all they ever wanted from you) - just keep shooting until it's second nature.

Tucker is not a small center, Allen ate him alive and he's not a big center. Good complementary forward for 20 minutes a night, but let's put the center thing to rest.

Reed is stronger this year and it showed, not as good as Allen but held his own and showed some nice moves around the basket. Work in progress but should be a good matchup option against some backup centers and size at PF. Harrell is stronger but 6'5 has its limits on defense.

House just looks smooth, nice shot, good speed.

Melton can defend, on offense it comes down to judgement, when he lets the game come to him he can hit the open shot consistently, but he's not talented enough to force things and ends up taking bad shots. The opposite to Matisse, a good defensive player who wants to be an offensive player.

Milton is slow, has those hurky jerky offensive moves that are effective, but is a tweener on defense, not strong enough for SF, not quick enough to stay with good offensive guards. I can see him being traded for a 2nd rd pick b/c not sure there's a spot for him in the rotation.

Korkmaz seems like he's over the nerve thang that really hindered him last year. Not talented enough to start, but has improved his handle and defense to the point where he can contribute in a number of ways off the bench as long as the 3 is falling.

Joe is getting more confident, I think he has Lou Williams "Instant offense" potential off the bench, a pure scorer.

The mini-van keeps puttering along.

Maxey, he's a bit of a tweener as a short "2" who seems to lack the instincts to be a starter at point guard, had a number of passes deflected and just doesn't seem to find teammates. But he's increasing the range on his "3", starting to approach Stephan (I'll shoot from anywhere) range - and he's deadly if you give him space. He's so electric as a scorer I think he'll overcome his deficiencies, and his work ethic means he'll continue to improve every aspect of his game - but hard work can't make him taller or give him the instincts of a true point guard.

Harden looks old, good thing he's only signed for 2 years, if he works on his 3 point shot can still be effective as a smart point guard who can overpower defending guards to the basket (isn't going to out quick them anymore) and run the offense - but defensively he's a liability who needs Embiid behind him to clean up his mistakes. However, with Embiid and Maxey, Harden and Harris merely have to be complementary players on offense who exploit opportunities created by their more talented teammates.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
I would rather see Shake dumped for a fake 2nd, rather than Joe and Bassey released.

Joe and Bassey are nothing special, but at least there's an ounce of potential there. Shake is completely broken and barely NBA caliber anymore.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Daryl was on the Ricky today if you're interested. Nothing earth shattering but I always appreciate his candidness.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Damn. They waived both. Of note below. Kork’s contract is guaranteed so probably why he wasn’t a cut.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're building around the "Embiid window."
Korkmaz and Milton can play now, Bassey and Joe are a year or two away, if ever.
Joe has improved, and I'd prefer him over Milton at the back of the bench, they want to bring him back on a two way.
Reed passed Bassey, who still needs to add strength.

It's not like the bench is ancient, Melton (24), Matisse (25), Harrell (28), Reed (23), House (29), Milton (26), Niang (29), Korkmaz (25), Springer (20).
They also have Foster (19), Champagnie (20). Which may explain the Bassey decision.

More a numbers game than anything else, that is a deep bench.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
DeazadpW4AARQUW

shy-scared.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad