Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Is it just me(maybe my age also) but does it seem that AI is more revered than Doc was/is?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So unless I'm reading the tiebreaker scenarios and stuff wrong it looks to me like

If Sixers beat the Nets they could be either 5 seed, 6 seed, or 7 seed.

5 seed: Pacers lose to Hawks and Sixers win. It doesn't matter if Magic win or lose because if they are tied with the Sixers it goes head to head and Sixers won all 3 games against them.

6 seed: Pacers win, Sixers win, and Magic lose to Bucks. The Sixers and Pacers are in a tie-breaker with Pacers having the 2-1 series advantage.

7 seed: Pacers, Sixers, and Magic all win. The Sixers drop to 7th because in a tie-breaker between multiple teams the first criteria is if a team won their division. Which the Magic did. That gives them #5. The Pacers then beat the Sixers in the tie-breaker for #6 so the Sixers get #7.

There's a lot more scenarios if the Sixers lose to the Nets which could result in dropping to 8th seed. There's a chance the Sixers could still get 6th seed, but it would need to be a 4-way tie with Pacers, Sixers, Magic all losing and Heat winning. In that scenario the Heat win the division over the Magic and get the 5th seed.

Sixers would then be in a 3-way tiebreaker against Pacers and Magic. Sixers have a 4-2 record against them. Pacers 3-3. Magic 2-4.

With the NBA not re-seeding, the 5 seed (if they win) will play the #1 seed in the second round. 6 & 7 seeds wouldn't meet the #1 seed until the Conference Finals. The 8 seed plays them in the first round.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So unless I'm reading the tiebreaker scenarios and stuff wrong it looks to me like

If Sixers beat the Nets they could be either 5 seed, 6 seed, or 7 seed.

5 seed: Pacers lose to Hawks and Sixers win. It doesn't matter if Magic win or lose because if they are tied with the Sixers it goes head to head and Sixers won all 3 games against them.

6 seed: Pacers win, Sixers win, and Magic lose to Bucks. The Sixers and Pacers are in a tie-breaker with Pacers having the 2-1 series advantage.

7 seed: Pacers, Sixers, and Magic all win. The Sixers drop to 7th because in a tie-breaker between multiple teams the first criteria is if a team won their division. Which the Magic did. That gives them #5. The Pacers then beat the Sixers in the tie-breaker for #6 so the Sixers get #7.

There's a lot more scenarios if the Sixers lose to the Nets which could result in dropping to 8th seed. There's a chance the Sixers could still get 6th seed, but it would need to be a 4-way tie with Pacers, Sixers, Magic all losing and Heat winning. In that scenario the Heat win the division over the Magic and get the 5th seed.

Sixers would then be in a 3-way tiebreaker against Pacers and Magic. Sixers have a 4-2 record against them. Pacers 3-3. Magic 2-4.

With the NBA not re-seeding, the 5 seed (if they win) will play the #1 seed in the second round. 6 & 7 seeds wouldn't meet the #1 seed until the Conference Finals. The 8 seed plays them in the first round.
My head hurts...

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Council + Oubre means for the first time in the Embiid era we have two athletic wings that score from all three levels.

That also should mean that we aren't held hostage by bad Tovirus (99% of the time) minutes when he's turning down open 3s to miss layups in traffic and cosplay as a cone on defense.

Barring Embiid's knee though this is easily the most complete roster he's ever had. I feel about as good as I have about a run being possible this year.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

:)

A little surprised it was that cheap tbh.

Sounds like it's pretty much league minimum, but guaranteed and changes this year to having been fully guaranteed which ends up giving him that extra money.

No-brainer for the Sixers since he's played well as a bench piece and in terms of cap space you have every 'empty' roster spot counts as a the 'league minimum' in the off-season anyway. (or cap holds for maintaining rights)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Sounds like it's pretty much league minimum, but guaranteed and changes this year to having been fully guaranteed which ends up giving him that extra money.

No-brainer for the Sixers since he's played well as a bench piece and in terms of cap space you have every 'empty' roster spot counts as a the 'league minimum' in the off-season anyway. (or cap holds for maintaining rights)

It's non-guaranteed for '24-25 and '25-26, then it's a Team Option for '26-27. So it's even more of a team friendly deal.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It's non-guaranteed for '24-25 and '25-26, then it's a Team Option for '26-27. So it's even more of a team friendly deal.
Didn't see its still non-guaranteed for next year so it's basically more or less just giving him a 'bonus' for this season with nothing guaranteed for the future, but his salary cap number basically being equivalent to a minimum cap hold.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Pacers up 18 over Hawks (about halfway thru 3rd)
Magic up 3 over Bucks(5 mins left in 3rd)
Sixers up 14 over Nets (3 mins left in 3rd)

If none of that changes Sixers are in play-in as the 7th seed.
If Bucks can beat the Magic the Sixers are the 6th seed.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Cleveland is losing this game on purpose. This is no less obvious than Doug pulling Hurts in Week 17.

(I don't blame them. It's just hilariously obvious.)

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Sixers up 25, Pacers up almost 40. Both games are wins.

Magic putting the Bucks away. Up 20 now in the 4th.

Looking like Sixers #7 playing the Hawks in the play-in. If Sixers win they are #7 and face #8 Miami in a game to determine the #7 seed,

The loser of the Sixers/Miami will then play the winner of the #9 (Bulls) vs #10(Hawks) with the winner of that game becoming the #8 seed.

So Sixers lose to Miami then they are either missing the playoffs or playing Boston round 1.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I f***ing hate doc rivers. What a f***ing maroon

Cleveland is losing this game on purpose. This is no less obvious than Doug pulling Hurts in Week 17.

(I don't blame them. It's just hilariously obvious.)
If the sixers did it they'd forfeit a draft pick

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Yea. Cleveland 100% tanked that game to keep from moving up to #2 and having to play Miami/Philly in the first round.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Play in game sure will be fun stuff.

I just have to keep reminding myself it's Nick Nurse. I'm so used to not having any confidence in a game like this

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
I mean, the whole play-in is always idiotic.

But there's probably not a greater argument of just how stupid it is than looking at the Eastern standings...

Reactions: Fire Tortorella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad