The Pete Deboer Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I like what he's been doing.

That said, this thread is gonna be a roller coasting depending on how well the team is doing.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
So far so good, and that goes for other coaches too

We've heard a good ammount of compliments about Oates from the guys playing center or trying out at center and Barr recently was given kudos for working on the PK

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He does little things I like...having Elias and Zubrus start the third period on the PK with Sykora in the box so that when he comes out the natural line is together, not being afraid to call an early timeout, even something like being agressive in the shootout and going first where most coaches won't, to try and put the pressure on the other team.

That said, hopefully we're not making a different thread after this brutal six-game stretch coming up, but the Devils at least did what they had to do the last week plus.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
I like how he's handled the team so far, especially the youngsters. And he apparently has worked well with the rest of the coaching staff, looking at our PK as an example.

The powerplay will show results in due time. The Devils never really were powerplay wizards to begin with, so it'll take some more time for that system to show results. Something like that takes half a year to a season or two to start playing well at, unless you have a slew of players who are incredibly offensively gifted like Tampa Bay

Jaysfanatic*

What's there to appreciate?

Amazing looks, and fantastic coaching report. Look at how I describe him and how he's our next head coach, as soon as he's fired. And the style we're playing is exactly what I outlined as well. I found us Pete DeBoer.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Not that I disagree that PDB has been more Lemaire than Mac, but I should also add a few positive factors:

1. No cap issues and roster angst hanging over this team
2. Larsson
3. Established Tally/Volch
4. More Parise

I love the way PDB goes about business. Lou said at PDB's outset that he was a very prepared coach and everything I've seen and heard supports that. I just don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on Mac. I really do think LL, the roster, the player's, the injuries and some bad luck should share some of the blame too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like him. He's doing a good job. He seems very tense, and nervous at times, and I kinda feel bad. He knows the situation here over the years. A lot of the coaches don't last long so he's on edge. Lou must have had a lot of faith in him considering he was just fired from the Panthers, and hadn't taken them to the playoffs in the 3 years he was there. I know a lot on this board were excited about him when they heard he was let go by the Panthers. A lot of posters here were excited about the possibility of him coming here. I miss Jacques too, but he's not the answer. This team has been having problems since the middle of 09/10 season when Jacques was here. Even last year when Jacques returned we weren't scoring much. Any flaws this team has they have been here a couple years now, so I can't blame Deboer. Now I was skeptical of him too. Seeing his record with the Panthers, and never getting them to the playoffs. He's doing good. I hope he can get a playoff berth his first ever in the NHL, and I hope he can take us there.

Remember he's doing even better than Sutter his first year here. After 13 games in 07 we were 5-6-2 with Sutter. We didn't go above 500 until 23 games in.

Tedenby21

Boo's Dangles
Feb 18, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
I like him. He's doing a good job. He seems very tense, and nervous at times, and I kinda feel bad. He knows the situation here over the years. A lot of the coaches don't last long so he's on edge. Lou must have had a lot of faith in him considering he was just fired from the Panthers, and hadn't taken them to the playoffs in the 3 years he was there. I know a lot on this board were excited about him when they heard he was let go by the Panthers. A lot of posters here were excited about the possibility of him coming here. I miss Jacques too, but he's not the answer. This team has been having problems since the middle of 09/10 season when Jacques was here. Even last year when Jacques returned we weren't scoring much. Any flaws this team has they have been here a couple years now, so I can't blame Deboer. Now I was skeptical of him too. Seeing his record with the Panthers, and never getting them to the playoffs. He's doing good. I hope he can get a playoff berth his first ever in the NHL, and I hope he can take us there.
Not to be a dick, but paragraphs are your friend. I would like to read your posts but I can't because they make my head hurt from just looking at them.

apice3*

DeBoer has been fantastic, but it's still early. What I love so far is that the games we lost have been lost by the players. Not once have we lost because we sat back too long. Not once have we lost because we were overly aggressive. Not once have we lost because of poor coaching strategy. You can't stay mad very long for being outplayed. You can hold lifetime grudges over stupid decisions.

We've avoided the latter so far.

Also, our forecheck is awesome and it's created so many opportunities for the offense. The PK is slightly more aggressive, and that's been fantastic. I just want to see some improvement on the PP.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like what he's been able to do so far with his most important player out of the lineup since the start of the season, and also down his second center for many games with other injuries sprinkled in here and there. But it's early, and there is a long way to go. He gets a solid passing grade for now.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
He's handled the iffy card he's been dealt (no Zajac/Josefson) quite well. Each line is showing utility and chemistry in its own way, and the team is really starting to emerge as one with an identity of puck possession similar to how we were under Sutter. Even the guys like Carter, Mills, Janssen, etc. are being used properly and being given the opportunity to show what they can do in the proper situations.

It's still early but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Tedenby21

Boo's Dangles
Feb 18, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
DeBoer has done a good job so far. I would still like to see the PP improve and him to get Kovy to play like he did in the second half of the season last year.

I hope he keeps this up because he could be this team's coach for a long time if he succeeds.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not to be a dick, but paragraphs are your friend. I would like to read your posts but I can't because they make my head hurt from just looking at them.

I haven't been told that since I used to type 3 paragraphs worth of material in 1! I even had to check back on it. I guess they are longer than most people though.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
images

MartysBackup

Who wants Wawa?
Dec 26, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Maybe it's DeBo, maybe it's Barr, but I really like the personnel used on PKs. Almost everyone is getting a chance to prove themselves and contribute out there. Kovalchuk, while used carefully, has been a pleasant surprise. Henrique is learning on the go. Even Teddy's gotten a few shifts and, somehow, Cam snuck out there too. Only Clarkson, Sykora and Boulton haven't gotten PK time.

And while the kid has been getting a ton of every other kind of minutes, Larsson has been relatively shielded from PK rigors. He leads all defensemen in average TOI, but is the least-used blueliner on the kill. So on the surface it looks like he's being thrown into the fire, but he's really being brought along about as carefully as we can afford.

lachyrm

Jun 3, 2010
He's handled the iffy card he's been dealt (no Zajac/Josefson) quite well. Each line is showing utility and chemistry in its own way, and the team is really starting to emerge as one with an identity of puck possession similar to how we were under Sutter. Even the guys like Carter, Mills, Janssen, etc. are being used properly and being given the opportunity to show what they can do in the proper situations.

It's still early but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Completely agree. For me it's all about puck possession and effort, and those have been relatively consistent. I'll be happy if those stay consistent, even during losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad