Recalled/Assigned: The Pens have recalled defenseman Derrick Pouliot from from the WBS

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
when Letang is healthy, they should redo the entire defense and go with

Maatta - Letang
Dumo - Daley
*Pouliot - Lovejoy
Cole

But they won't, because they are stupid.

*assuming Pouliot doesn't look like poop

Yeah this would be my preference as well. Though to be fair, Cole has been improving the last few games. He should be able to be a functional bottom pairing guy once he gets some confidence back, which seems to be happening now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Excited to see what he does this time around. Hopefully the seasoning in the AHL has done a world of good for the kid.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Dude, seriously? If he hasn't locked down a third pair job by 24, I'll be concerned. If he has to go back down now, it means nothing to me.

While that's true, I still want to see improvement in his own zone. He can't have that lackadaisical approach that he's had in the past.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Since it is his forté, getting some points on the PP might give him the confidence needed. I really hope his defensive play is at least adequate, his play at the beginning of the season has me quite worried. How has his play been in WBS (defensively)?

I don't know if its more of an indication of his offensive game or not but he was selected to the AHL All Star game.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
when Letang is healthy, they should redo the entire defense and go with

Maatta - Letang
Dumo - Daley
*Pouliot - Lovejoy
Cole

But they won't, because they are stupid.

*assuming Pouliot doesn't look like poop

Agreed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pooh has looked steady in the A but again, it's the A.
He was on the regular PK rotation and held his own.

All he'd have to do here is not look terrible defensively to stay up.

Hopefully Sully uses the Cole-Pooh or Pooh-Cole pairing in predominantly OZ and NZ starts to take the pressure off.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Unrealistic expectations of the kid waltzing into a top 4 role this season set him up for an inordinate amount of flak. He's a great prospect with a ton of talent, but it was always obvious he needed to polish up a few areas in his game.

Ironically, the way the team plays under Sullivan is much better suited to DP's strengths than it was under MJ. I think we'll see a more effective Pouliot this time around.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I hope he fits better In this system. Because man he was awful in pre-season. Significant regression.

I'm hoping Cole can creep back up to being more serviceable. He's another head scratcher who just cliffed it after a good start last season. Maybe it was all MJ plus being forced into a high end role he wasn't suited for, and now he can build a bit of confidence. Not quite ready to bail on him (but I said that re Perron lol).

More than ready to fire Benny into the sun. Before he kills Fleury would be most preferable.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I hope he fits better In this system. Because man he was awful in pre-season. Significant regression.

I'm hoping Cole can creep back up to being more serviceable. He's another head scratcher who just cliffed it after a good start last season. Maybe it was all MJ plus being forced into a high end role he wasn't suited for, and now he can build a bit of confidence. Not quite ready to bail on him (but I said that re Perron lol).

More than ready to fire Benny into the sun. Before he kills Fleury would be most preferable.

He did suck under MJ surprisingly since he was his junior coach in Portland. Hope Sullivan's system will do him good.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't he play the entire pre-season with Gonchar? Not really setting him up for success, there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like Sullivan and Jacques Martin would guide Pouliot to better success than Johnston and Agnew could have.

I think this is the last time he plays in the AHL.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Isn't JR on record as saying the next time he's called up will be the last time they have to do it? Gotta wonder if there's anything to read between the lines there with regard to a trade. (Maybe I've been watching too much X-Files)

Either way, hope he has made leaps and bounds in the AHL. Anything to push Cole and Lovejoy down the depth chart.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Isn't JR on record as saying the next time he's called up will be the last time they have to do it? Gotta wonder if there's anything to read between the lines there with regard to a trade. (Maybe I've been watching too much X-Files)

Either way, hope he has made leaps and bounds in the AHL. Anything to push Cole and Lovejoy down the depth chart.

Nothing between the lines. Letang was questionable and Warsofsky was out... that left them with 5 defensemen if Letang couldn't go. They called up Pouliot to ensure they had a 6th if needed.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

jr also said that elmer was a fighter, and lovejoy was a hitter. How did that turn out?.... Do I go on?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Nothing between the lines. Letang was questionable and Warsofsky was out... that left them with 5 defensemen if Letang couldn't go. They called up Pouliot to ensure they had a 6th if needed.

Seriously. It's not that complicated. The only way he sticks is if they decide to play him over Cole on a nightly basis.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I do wonder if he's actually going to play. They seem to like the pairings they have. Dumo-Lovejoy has been a constant all year. Unless JR finds a Lovejoy type that's much better, I don't see that pairing being broken up. Pouliot-Daley doesn't strike me as a defensively responsible pairing. So...where does Pouliot play?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I do wonder if he's actually going to play. They seem to like the pairings they have. Dumo-Lovejoy has been a constant all year. Unless JR finds a Lovejoy type that's much better, I don't see that pairing being broken up. Pouliot-Daley doesn't strike me as a defensively responsible pairing. So...where does Pouliot play?

Exactly. He probably be best suited to play with Dumoulin long term, but don't they both prefer the left side? The only way that happens though is if his defensive game improves a lot. Either way it won't happen this season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
JR made the comment about Pouliot and "the next time we call him up is the last time we'll have to do that" well before Letang and Warsofsky went down. Again, still probably nothing, just an FYI.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
JR made the comment about Pouliot and "the next time we call him up is the last time we'll have to do that" well before Letang and Warsofsky went down. Again, still probably nothing, just an FYI.

I think you answered your own question. He made those comments well before they went down. Unforseen circumstances changed that plan. What happens when everybody is healthy? Right now there is no place for him, unless they make a place.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Right but what he meant was calling him up because of his play, not because of injuries. In this particular case, Pouliot was called up because of injuries, so I don't think the JR statement really applies.

Edit: What Ron said ^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad