Speculation: The Offseason: VI (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Just curious, but why are the Devils, Flyers and Islanders going to be better, but the Rangers and Columbus will get worse?

Washington's one team I could see taking a step back because of the losses they've suffered, and because they might have to lose even more guys to make the cap work. But both Columbus and the Rangers largely have the same rosters returning that saw them finish with 100+ point last year. Columbus, in particular, could be even better with Werenski and Jones being one year more experienced.

Right now in the division, actually think Pitt is better and Washington is worse and most teams went sideways, except the team that will surprise and that is the Carolina Hurricanes, I think they are going to be ...this year's CBJ

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do not trade. Spend 9 months working on convincing him.

How many of these players are there? Very few. A lot can happen in 9m. Ride it out.

Whatever crap they'd get for him would be of middling value. Only PO teams would want him as a rental. They'll offer some scraps and mid to late-draft picks at best.

Ride it out. Go for a playoff run. You have until June 30 to get it done.

All that said, personally think he signs early.

I agree, unless he explicitly states he won't re-sign for particular reasons and gets hostile. If he's on the face, you keep him and roll the dice. He's worth it.

That said, I think he re-signs. I also wonder if he's just waiting for the Belmont thing to become more official. The owners could be telling him it's a done deal, just formalities at this point, with Tavares saying he's seen this show before and wants to wait for it to become official first. I'd be shocked if a Belmont arena didn't keep Tavares here.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
True.

I'm very curious what this board's thoughts on are whether or not to trade JT if he is un-signed by training camp.

By all accounts, Tavares has never been one to negotiate or distract the team in season.

He wants to stay. His agent is making him ride this out. So far, it's been a smart strategy for the benefit of his client.

Right now in the summer, players disappear and they don't have to talk to the media until training camp comes around.

His agent told him not to comment on it while the Isles do 'their thing' over the summer. See how that goes and re-evaluate the picture once training camp comes along.

It let's the Isles figure something out with the arena as well.

Much ado about nothing on this one.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the Isles trade Barzal + 1st for Duchene:

Lee - JT -Eberle
Laad - Duchene - JHS
Bailey - Beau - Nelson
CC - CC - X

Kuli would have to be dumped and I don't know if Chimera can play RW.

He played RW almost all of last season

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Just curious, but why are the Devils, Flyers and Islanders going to be better, but the Rangers and Columbus will get worse?

Washington's one team I could see taking a step back because of the losses they've suffered, and because they might have to lose even more guys to make the cap work. But both Columbus and the Rangers largely have the same rosters returning that saw them finish with 100+ point last year. Columbus, in particular, could be even better with Werenski and Jones being one year more experienced.

Agreed - I think rangers and capitals both take a step back -

Columbus might have played a bit over their heads last season, but I would say they are 100 point team.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Someone posted this and I think it is accurate - lots of questions, but lots of upside.

I think the recipe for this team to be better is:

1. Halak and greiss form the tandem they were meant to be
2. Pulock and Ho-Sang become solutions to a terrible PP-
3. Pulock plays solid in his own end and is a legit top 4.
4. Ho-Sang is a top 3 Calder candidate
5. CDH continues to improve his steady D play.
6. Leddy game in and game out is the 2nd best player on the ice
7. Boychuk gives you a solid 60 Games
8. No sophomore slump for Tito. He continues to improve his play.
9. Lee is the beast he was last season
10. Eberle does what he was brought here to do - score goals!
11. Barzal lights it up in the AHL and fans are screaming for a call up all season and he becomes the add at the deadline
12. Bailey meshes well with Nelson and Ho-Sang to form a serviceable 2nd line.
13. JT Is JT
14. Ladd is more the top 6 we saw last season than the bottom 6
15. Cizikas and Clutterbuck healthy all season
16. Gomez gets this PP going
17. Isles possession play improves under Weight
18. Nelson scores 20+ goals

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Someone posted this and I think it is accurate - lots of questions, but lots of upside.

11. Barzal lights it up in the AHL and fans are screaming for a call up all season and he becomes the add at the deadline
13. JT Is JT

Lots of sunshine on this one...

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
In a cap league, what are you going to get for him on Sept 15 when he's a pending UFA?

What team that could use him to try to win has 5.5M in cap space and willing to part with "good" assets?

Nothing that's worth not having him for the year and trying to win now and convince him to stay, or at least create an environment he wants to come back to and they can still offer him something no one else can - yr 8

Isles can retain half his salary and take on another teams cap dump if t would maxinie a return. Almost every team would bid for him and offer multiple firsts + Roster Plays/NHL ready prospects/Young talent on ELC for a full year of JT and first crack in convincing him to re-sign.

If he is undecided / tells Snow he won't re-sign by training camp, I hope Snow deals him unless JT's sole reason is the arena and Isles are 100% sure they will win RFP.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

13. JT Is JT

If Snow want such a horrible GM (has done a decent job last two years), this team wouldn't be relying on 5 rookies and Brock To make big contributions in what may turn out to be the most important season in Nyi history. As constructed, they would get steamrolled by the Caps, Pens or Jsckets in round 1.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Isles can retain half his salary and take on another teams cap dump if t would maxinie a return. Almost every team would bid for him and offer multiple firsts + Roster Plays/NHL ready prospects/Young talent on ELC for a full year of JT and first crack in convincing him to re-sign.

If he is undecided / tells Snow he won't re-sign by training camp, I hope Snow deals him unless JT's sole reason is the arena and Isles are 100% sure they will win RFP.
No way they get that. Look at what GMs are balking at for 2 yrs of Duchene...

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I dont think its the slam dunk you all think it is that tavares re signs. This team is playing in a terrible hockey venue, the situation has been unstable his entire playing career, and has only made the playoffs 3 times his whole career.

And adding eberle isnt enough. This one doesnt have the fairytale ending you all think it is.

The team is still a clear uograde away from contender status and the arena situation needs a solution, sooner then later.

Now do i think hes simply going to bolt? No, i think in an ideal situation he would love to stay. But it needs to be ideal.

And right now its not.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
In a cap league, what are you going to get for him on Sept 15 when he's a pending UFA?

What team that could use him to try to win has 5.5M in cap space and willing to part with "good" assets?

Nothing that's worth not having him for the year and trying to win now and convince him to stay, or at least create an environment he wants to come back to and they can still offer him something no one else can - yr 8

Jay, love you to death, but if Tavares walks and you get nothing then this team might as well fold up shop and go home. Their inability to find even one more guy near his level after all these years drafting high... we will be looking at minimum another ten years back in the toilet. Our bigger guns will jump ship when their contracts end and no UFA worth a buck will come here.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
To me, the Blue Jackets are scary

On paper, sure. But torts to me is the wild card. If they have a slow start and he reverts to his shenanigans of previous years, their skill guys might tune out. Also need all those guys to have repeat years.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jay, love you to death, but if Tavares walks and you get nothing then this team might as well fold up shop and go home. Their inability to find even one more guy near his level after all these years drafting high... we will be looking at minimum another ten years back in the toilet. Our bigger guns will jump ship when their contracts end and no UFA worth a buck will come here.
Ok, but you don't get nothing, you get a final year with him to try to get into the POs and make a run. If that's the reason he wants to go, then that helps to resign him. You can give the 8th year, no one else can.

Teams trade for pending UFAs at the deadline all the time. I just think a year of him is more helpful than trading him for mid to late 1st rnd picks and a couple prospects.

The objective should be to sign him at all costs. One of those costs is potentially losing him July 1/18 for nothing. But you keep trying until then, because you cannot replace a guy like him with anything you'll get in a trade.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
If Snow want such a horrible GM (has done a decent job last two years), this team wouldn't be relying on 5 rookies and Brock To make big contributions in what may turn out to be the most important season in Nyi history. As constructed, they would get steamrolled by the Caps, Pens or Jsckets in round 1.

Islanders won the season series vs the Caps last year and split with the Pen's, with one of those loses coming in OT.

They won one of four vs Columbus with one loss also in OT... although Columbus did embarrass us badly twice.

Not so sure why you think those teams would steamroll our roster, personally I think the team is a heck of a lot better than most here believe... but I'm naturally an optimistic person.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Ok, but you don't get nothing, you get a final year with him to try to get into the POs and make a run. If that's the reason he wants to go, then that helps to resign him. You can give the 8th year, no one else can.

Teams trade for pending UFAs at the deadline all the time. I just think a year of him is more helpful than trading him for mid to late 1st rnd picks and a couple prospects.

The objective should be to sign him at all costs. One of those costs is potentially losing him July 1/18 for nothing. But you keep trying until then, because you cannot replace a guy like him with anything you'll get in a trade.

+1 all the eggs in one basket. The only way he's traded in my opinion would be at the deadline and the team far back from a playoff position.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I dont think its the slam dunk you all think it is that tavares re signs. This team is playing in a terrible hockey venue, the situation has been unstable his entire playing career, and has only made the playoffs 3 times his whole career.

And adding eberle isnt enough. This one doesnt have the fairytale ending you all think it is.

The team is still a clear uograde away from contender status and the arena situation needs a solution, sooner then later.

Now do i think hes simply going to bolt? No, i think in an ideal situation he would love to stay. But it needs to be ideal.

And right now its not.
I think his bad hamstring injury on bad ice at barceleys is going to be the reason he points to for not signing. Its much easier to say that then say "our owners and front office aren't good enough to compete in the playoffs in this league." The truth is, the ice might be half the reason he is leaving. Once you get a injury, you become paranoid about the same injury happening again.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

13. JT Is JT

Obviously all cannot go right, but there are those much more likely to come to fruition. I'm thinking the bolded are the biggest question marks and are probably the keys to being a PO team versus just missing out again.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I think his bad hamstring injury on bad ice at barceleys is going to be the reason he points to for not signing. Its much easier to say that then say "our owners and front office aren't good enough to compete in the playoffs in this league." The truth is, the ice might be half the reason he is leaving. Once you get a injury, you become paranoid about the same injury happening again.

Worst spelling of Barclay's I've ever seen... and JT has said numerous times he's played on worse ice in the NHL than our Arena, including Toronto.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Here's the other side of that argument. Say it is January 15th and we are something like 24-10-6 and are well into the playoffs if they started that day and sit second in the Metropolitan and he still refuses to sign an 8-year, $90 million deal?.

How do we justify waiting until the season is over at that point? Is a potential one year playoff run (far from a given with our Division) worth not taking the long term?

If we are with a record like that and it isn't good enough for him to sign at that point what do you do?

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Here's the other side of that argument. Say it is January 15th and we are something like 24-10-6 and are well into the playoffs if they started that day and sit second in the Metropolitan and he still refuses to sign an 8-year, $90 million deal?.

How do we justify waiting until the season is over at that point? Is a potential one year playoff run (far from a given with our Division) worth not taking the long term?

If we are with a record like that and it isn't good enough for him to sign at that point what do you do?

Honestly... you go for it and try to win the whole damn thing.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

13. JT Is JT

If all this happens Isles probabl;y win the cup...

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
What is the holdup on acquiring someone like Tyler Bozak? Look at the pros:

- ~55% faceoff guy last few years
- 4.2 M cap hit (Could fit him/De Haan/Pelech without moving salary)
- 1 year left on deal (Perfect placeholder for Barzal/Beau to take on 2C role in 2018-19)
- Could likely be had for a Marcus Johansson type return (Much cheaper than Duchene and company)

In addition, since the last lockout he has average 21 goals/55 points per 82 games. Adjust that to the last 3 years and it is 20 goals/53 points per 82 games. Just last year is was 19 goals/58 points per 82 games.

Not sure why he gets such a bad rap. Not a 2-way stud that is worshipped in today's game, but a good offensive player, faceoff guy, and a sure-fire 2C.

Think he fits better than anyone not name Duchene, and given his contract and the cost to acquire, I think he might even be a better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad