Speculation: The Offseason: VI (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Leddy and Boychuck are the only bonafide top 4. But neither are a legit #1 D. Pelech and Pulock have potential but to slot them as top[ 4 next year is expecting a lot. The others don't excite me much at all. Hey look, better depth than we had in the past but I struggle to see a clear improvement over last year.

Last year, CDH was certainly a #3-#4 D.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I'll concede that.

But I'd be more comfortable with a rejuvenated Hamonic rounding out or top 4.

I agree with that IF Snow doesn't use those picks this off-season to get another forward.

Also, Hamonic wanted out. Can't blame Snow for that. We got a nice return.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Not to beat a dead horse, but Hamonic had a contract. Whether he wanted out or not is irrelevant

True but one has to wonder if his poor play last season was due to him wanting out. Not that he played poorly on purpose but it may have contributed to him being stressed/distracted.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Both times JT went down with an injury ('14 Olympics and last year) the Isles had a significantly better record without him in the lineup.

What would you like to infer from that?

They are a more rounded group without JT.
Sometimes that translates to better TEAM

Honestly there is no reason JT will remain past this year
And the problem will be Garth won't figure
It out until its too late and what he could of had
For him will be essentially nothing as we
May contend for a playoff spot with an unsigned
JT then what do you do? Trade him or hope
He signs ? Guys if he is not signed
Before season there is a reason so you better
Look to Trade him or we just lost
Another asset for nothing which keeps this franchise in neutral

They should have moved Okposo a year before his last season instead
We lost him for nothing , imagine if we got something where we would be

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So, you think Sakic is doing a good job by ignoring Duchene's desires to be traded?

As an Islander fan, no.

For one, Duchene hasn't requested a trade. If he had, it should benefit the team, not him. He signed a contract. To be quite honest, look at the NBA. Players choosing their destination, after signing a contract is a massive problem.

These guys have agents for a reason. Don't sign the deal if you may regret it. They always value years, then live up to it

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
True but one has to wonder if his poor play last season was due to him wanting out. Not that he played poorly on purpose but it may have contributed to him being stressed/distracted.

This is all speculation though. Again, as I said in another thred, can someone show me where Hamonic addressed an issue, or Snow said he did this due to Hamonic's request?

Way too much speculation and 0 facts

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Playoffs will be tough BUT, I also believe the rangers will be worse this year. Grabner isn't scoring 30 again. Lundqvist showed signs of his age last year and will likely on continue to decline. Stepan will be a big loss for them too.

Columbus will not be as good as they were last year. Bobrovsky is hit or miss year to year.

Washington lost Alzner, Shattenkirk, Williams, Schmidt and Ovi also showing signs of slowing down.

Devils will be slightly better than last year. Philly will be better. We should be better. I think the Isles are the wild card team... Could miss the POs or be significantly better.

Just curious, but why are the Devils, Flyers and Islanders going to be better, but the Rangers and Columbus will get worse?

Washington's one team I could see taking a step back because of the losses they've suffered, and because they might have to lose even more guys to make the cap work. But both Columbus and the Rangers largely have the same rosters returning that saw them finish with 100+ point last year. Columbus, in particular, could be even better with Werenski and Jones being one year more experienced.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Just curious, but why are the Devils, Flyers and Islanders going to be better, but the Rangers and Columbus will get worse?

Washington's one team I could see taking a step back because of the losses they've suffered, and because they might have to lose even more guys to make the cap work. But both Columbus and the Rangers largely have the same rosters returning that saw them finish with 100+ point last year. Columbus, in particular, could be even better with Werenski and Jones being one year more experienced.

Also CBJ traded for Artemi Panarin

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is all speculation though. Again, as I said in another thred, can someone show me where Hamonic addressed an issue, or Snow said he did this due to Hamonic's request?

Read between the lines. :naughty:

You're right of course, it's all speculation. But the one fact we have here is that Hamonic had his worst year as a pro last seaso. And IF in fact he's disgruntled so much that it is effecting his play, it puts Snow in a pickle.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They are a more rounded group without JT.
Sometimes that translates to better TEAM

Honestly there is no reason JT will remain past this year
And the problem will be Garth won't figure
It out until its too late and what he could of had
For him will be essentially nothing as we
May contend for a playoff spot with an unsigned
JT then what do you do? Trade him or hope
He signs ? Guys if he is not signed
Before season there is a reason so you better
Look to Trade him or we just lost
Another asset for nothing which keeps this franchise in neutral

They should have moved Okposo a year before his last season instead
We lost him for nothing , imagine if we got something where we would be

That is a sad poem.

;)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My biggest fear is that JT doesn't sign & we don't trade him because we're a middling bubble team that still has hope for mediocrity.

True.

I'm very curious what this board's thoughts on are whether or not to trade JT if he is un-signed by training camp.

By all accounts, Tavares has never been one to negotiate or distract the team in season.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
True.

I'm very curious what this board's thoughts on are whether or not to trade JT if he is un-signed by training camp.

By all accounts, Tavares has never been one to negotiate or distract the team in season.

I think it really depends on the situation, how negotiations are going, etc.

I don't even want to think about it... :cry:

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
True.

Do not trade. Spend 9 months working on convincing him.

How many of these players are there? Very few. A lot can happen in 9m. Ride it out.

Whatever crap they'd get for him would be of middling value. Only PO teams would want him as a rental. They'll offer some scraps and mid to late-draft picks at best.

Ride it out. Go for a playoff run. You have until June 30 to get it done.

All that said, personally think he signs early.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

We know for a fact:

Hamonic requested a trade two years ago; and
Snow mentioned in the post-draft interview Travis is now closer to home.

Why would Snow come out and say it? Sets a bad precedent for others who may want out.

Hamonic was delt b/c (in order of importance)

-wanted to be closer to home;
-we got a great return (wouldn't have dealt him without one);
-we have Pelech and Pulock that need ice time; and
-Hamonic has been injury prone and coming off horrible year.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Do not trade. Spend 9 months working on convincing him.

How many of these players are there? Very few. A lot can happen in 9m. Ride it out.

Whatever crap they'd get for him would be of middling value. Only PO teams would want him as a rental. They'll offer some scraps and mid to late-draft picks at best.

Ride it out. Go for a playoff run. You have until June 30 to get it done.

All that said, personally thinks he signs early.

I agree, but if JT tells Snow before the season he won't re-sign, he must be traded.

JT is a class act. He has mentioned several times he wants to be here and doesn't want a Stamkos situation. If he doesn't make a decision (and publicize it) prior to the season, he is creating added drama around our team, with a rookie coach and lots of young players. Total opposite of his role as Captain. Whatever he decides, he needs to do it before 10/1.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I agree, but if JT tells Snow before the season he won't re-sign, he must be traded.

JT is a class act. He has mentioned several times he wants to be here and doesn't want a Stamkos situation. If he doesn't make a decision (and publicize it) prior to the season, he is creating added drama around our team, with a rookie coach and lots of young players. Total opposite of his role as Captain. Whatever he decides, he needs to do it before 10/1.
If he says "I won't resign," I still think you spend the next 11.5 months trying to convince him otherwise. A lot can happen. A year is a long time...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If JT states he won't sign you have to trade him. You simply can't afford to wait and lose him, and it is highly doubtful you'd keep him if his mind was that made up, assuming the issue wasn't money. If it is money, you pay him and move on, even if it is cap max you do it because if he walks lots of players will follow and good luck getting UFAs. Maybe players are getting sick of the arena situation.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
If JT states he won't sign you have to trade him. You simply can't afford to wait and lose him, and it is highly doubtful you'd keep him if his mind was that made up, assuming the issue wasn't money. If it is money, you pay him and move on, even if it is cap max you do it because if he walks lots of players will follow and good luck getting UFAs. Maybe players are getting sick of the arena situation.

this is absolutely correct ... can you imagine the distraction all season long if he is not signed and still playing on the team ... would be aweful

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
this is absolutely correct ... can you imagine the distraction all season long if he is not signed and still playing on the team ... would be aweful

In a cap league, what are you going to get for him on Sept 15 when he's a pending UFA?

What team that could use him to try to win has 5.5M in cap space and willing to part with "good" assets?

Nothing that's worth not having him for the year and trying to win now and convince him to stay, or at least create an environment he wants to come back to and they can still offer him something no one else can - yr 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad