Speculation: The Official "Who Will Be The Habs' Next GM?" Post

Who do you want to be the next GM?

• Total voters

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
We don’t know that. There is a difference between making scouting trips and where one lives during hockey season. Lots of Quebec players have homes in Quebec without living here during hockey season.
yes because because they need to live in the place they play. His kids lives in Quebec and I'm 85% sure he lives in Quebec during the season to

Jul 6, 2016
Gorton mentioned that the next GM could be a players' agent.

Kent Hughes , born in Montreal and is the agent of Bergeron, Letang, among others, could be a candidate.

Reactions: Weber Fan

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know Gorton says he’s looking for a person to complement him, which in my opinion does sound more like a similar person with a similar background, albeit with skills that an be added to the team that he may not have. Could be an ex player, or an agent.

Honestly, I could care less about intangibles such as heart, fiery personalities and emotions. Whoever the GM is needs to be an actually manager. Somebody who can make million dollar decisions, work with people and manage contracts.

A good leader defers, so it’s not the GM’s job to scout for example; you have employees for that. Now, if they have an eye for talent and know their way around an arena to evaluate potential prospects, great, but at the end of the day, the GM’s job is to manage the team.

Reactions: Runner77

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Why is no one talking about Scott White? 15 years in hockey ops for the stars, from Ormstown, QC.

bergo

Jan 20, 2007
I hate to say it but I vote for Pierre Mcguire. He has experience in every aspect of hockey from coaching to management. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of all the players in the league. We know Molson likes him since he was runner up to Bergevin. I never would have thought he had a chance at being GM but working under Gorton is a great option for him. It gives him a current mentor (unlike Scotty Bowman). It gives him time to learn the newer aspects of the job. Gorton would serve as his buffer for he’s weird quirks. And he speaks FRENCH

I hate the Briere option. Here’s why. Let's see a conversation with GM Briere and a UFA player
UFA player A: Hi Danny thanks for calling
Briere: The Montreal Canadiens would love to sign you as an UFA; you would be a great addition to the team
UFA player A: Thank you, is Montreal a good place to play? Isn’t there a lot of pressure?
Briere: It’s an amazing place to play with great fans and a great city. Every player should be excited to play for the habs. The pressure is overstated.
UFA player A: So why didn’t you sign here as a UFA. Didn’t you say you wanted anonymity? They offered you more money than Philadelphia and you are a Quebecer. If it’s not good enough for you, why would I come here?
End scene

The only time he considers coming here is when:
- He had no other option as a player and
- To take a job he’s unqualified for and he would not be able to get anywhere else.

What kills me about the GM search is most/all of the listed candidates wouldn’t even get an interview for a GM job somewhere else.

Reactions: KikoHunter

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
You guys are paying too much attention to Roy. The squealing is the best evidence he's not even a serious candidate.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Briere and Darche are way too young and way too soft for a role of GM. Really only Roy make senses. He has the best resume too. Its a no brainer. Hes the last great the team had and he want the job. Give it to him not to another grey personality. So boring…

Reactions: Dutronc

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Briere and Darche are way too young and way too soft for a role of GM. Really only Roy make senses. He has the best resume too. Its a no brainer. Hes the last great the team had and he want the job. Give it to him not to another grey personality. So boring…

Roy's resume sucks.

Congrats on 1 memorial cup in forever with the most resources in the league.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017

Roy's resume is average at best fora GM position. He is passionate.. whoopy f***in shit! Everyone acting as a GM in a minor league is passionate. It does not qualify them.

There are guys that where more successfull in the Q alone that i would consider first. Here are 3 guys that had the same role of GM and coach in Q which in my opinion were all more successful then Roy...

Benoit Groulx
Joel Bouchard
Andre Tourigny

If you scrounge a bit and learn what a GM job is all about, you wont push for a guy like Roy. You dont want to go forst then what we had!

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Roy's resume is average at best fora GM position. He is passionate.. whoopy f***in shit! Everyone acting as a GM in a minor league is passionate. It does not qualify them.

There are guys that where more successfull in the Q alone that i would consider first. Here are 3 guys that had the same role of GM and coach in Q which in my opinion were all more successful then Roy...

Benoit Groulx
Joel Bouchard
Andre Tourigny

If you scrounge a bit and learn what a GM job is all about, you wont push for a guy like Roy. You dont want to go forst then what we had!

Does Cam Russell or Bobby Smith not qualify because they aren't french? I don't know if either of them speak it tbh

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't see Patrick Roy being second fiddle to someone else,his ego is too big for that, the media would love to have him the role because of the controversy factor. Big bad anglo from Baastan vs Saint Patrick Waa, they would have a field day so therefore, it won't happen. If Molson wanted Roy in the role he would have had it by now. The habs might make a bold move here, they certainly want to improve their image after the controversial drafting of Mailloux and a player agent was mentioned as being a possibility, who knows?

XTwCRBgjjtN6eAJfCOgHq0WigvXJrDV1TiNgQUhKXVbuEV4OyiOKFTddrKTx2BBdCzgLXowTlyBRgPA5UjJypjNmMYo-AUh8CQzwOkUgGlOvxypuPaZEb6cYJNDMtt20vZ9Tq8Fmn4mDsJ79sVwTinhz7g

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I hate to say it but I vote for Pierre Mcguire. He has experience in every aspect of hockey from coaching to management. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of all the players in the league. We know Molson likes him since he was runner up to Bergevin. I never would have thought he had a chance at being GM but working under Gorton is a great option for him. It gives him a current mentor (unlike Scotty Bowman). It gives him time to learn the newer aspects of the job. Gorton would serve as his buffer for he’s weird quirks. And he speaks FRENCH

I hate the Briere option. Here’s why. Let's see a conversation with GM Briere and a UFA player
UFA player A: Hi Danny thanks for calling
Briere: The Montreal Canadiens would love to sign you as an UFA; you would be a great addition to the team
UFA player A: Thank you, is Montreal a good place to play? Isn’t there a lot of pressure?
Briere: It’s an amazing place to play with great fans and a great city. Every player should be excited to play for the habs. The pressure is overstated.
UFA player A: So why didn’t you sign here as a UFA. Didn’t you say you wanted anonymity? They offered you more money than Philadelphia and you are a Quebecer. If it’s not good enough for you, why would I come here?
End scene

The only time he considers coming here is when:
- He had no other option as a player and
- To take a job he’s unqualified for and he would not be able to get anywhere else.

What kills me about the GM search is most/all of the listed candidates wouldn’t even get an interview for a GM job somewhere else.

Iwill agree on your comment regarding Briere and this is one of the reason he would not come here either.

Reactions: amethyst

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I don't see Patrick Roy being second fiddle to someone else,his ego is too big for that, the media would love to have him the role because of the controversy factor. Big bad anglo from Baastan vs Saint Patrick Waa, they would have a field day so therefore, it won't happen. If Molson wanted Roy in the role he would have had it by now. The habs might make a bold move here, they certainly want to improve their image after the controversial drafting of Mailloux and a player agent was mentioned as being a possibility, who knows?

XTwCRBgjjtN6eAJfCOgHq0WigvXJrDV1TiNgQUhKXVbuEV4OyiOKFTddrKTx2BBdCzgLXowTlyBRgPA5UjJypjNmMYo-AUh8CQzwOkUgGlOvxypuPaZEb6cYJNDMtt20vZ9Tq8Fmn4mDsJ79sVwTinhz7g
I do think Emilie would be a bold move and a good one on many fronts. Not sure if she is too green for the GM position but maybe the AGM

Reactions: OldCraig71

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Good choice, though if some of the moronic comments in the other thread about hiring a woman are any indication of how some outside HF would feel….

Reactions: OldCraig71

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Roy's resume sucks.

Congrats on 1 memorial cup in forever with the most resources in the league.

you are telling me briere or darche have better resume? You guys like the boring ways the habs have been running the organization for so long. Roy is a winner and would change the dynamic of the shitty team. I guess we just want a boring team in an entertainment business. You Roy haters are pathetic. You name a bunch of canditates with no nhl experience. Gtfo

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Good choice, though if some of the moronic comments in the other thread about hiring a woman are any indication of how some outside HF would feel….

good choice, a woman with no experience in managing a hockey team. I guess its just because she a woman, thats pathetic

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Roy's resume is average at best fora GM position. He is passionate.. whoopy f***in shit! Everyone acting as a GM in a minor league is passionate.

Benoit Groulx
Joel Bouchard
Andre Tourigny

not one of the guys you mentionned would travel in bus with a minor league hockey team if the had Roy net worth.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
you are telling me briere or darche have better resume? You guys like the boring ways the habs have been running the organization for so long. Roy is a winner and would change the dynamic of the shitty team. I guess we just want a boring team in an entertainment business. You Roy haters are pathetic. You name a bunch of canditates with no nhl experience. Gtfo

I think they have a different resume as they didn't take the same path. What matters is that we have the guy with the resume, who is Gorton. The next step is to get the right smart individual who will be groomed under Gorton and that isn't Roy.

Colorado has done far better once Roy quit the organization. Roy has one memorial cup to his name and has the resources no other team has. His track record in Quebec is pretty terrible, there really hasn't been any NHL talent coming from it. So why are we bringing in a guy who isn't able to identify talent at the QMJHL level, with all the resources to allure them to go there, to come be our AGM?

If Roy was a winner at the executive level - he would win. He doesn't.

I don't want a boring team but I certainly want analytical, non-emotional people making the decision vs. Roy who would act irrationally and try to accelerate every process because of his ego.

We've had enough of big egos in Montreal. We don't need Roys.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I think they have a different resume as they didn't take the same path. What matters is that we have the guy with the resume, who is Gorton. The next step is to get the right smart individual who will be groomed under Gorton and that isn't Roy.

Colorado has done far better once Roy quit the organization. Roy has one memorial cup to his name and has the resources no other team has. His track record in Quebec is pretty terrible, there really hasn't been any NHL talent coming from it. So why are we bringing in a guy who isn't able to identify talent at the QMJHL level, with all the resources to allure them to go there, to come be our AGM?

If Roy was a winner at the executive level - he would win. He doesn't.

I don't want a boring team but I certainly want analytical, non-emotional people making the decision vs. Roy who would act irrationally and try to accelerate every process because of his ego.

We've had enough of big egos in Montreal. We don't need Roys.

everyone who actually worked with him said he was a good team player and would made a great GM. Your mind is madeup of what the media say not from actual person who knows him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad