Speculation: The Official "Who Will Be The Habs' Next GM?" Post

Who do you want to be the next GM?

• Total voters

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
1- I hope they interview a broad set of candidates and go with the one who presents the most compelling and articulate vision for building a culture of excellence and pursuing long-term contention.

2- if i had to throw a guess as to who will do that and fit with Gorton's approach/vision (and be ok with him being in charge/willing to work in lockstep) and check the right language boxes... i suspect either Luongo or Darche will end up the successful candidate.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Seems that it will Briere so voted for him, but I wish for Tallon, Madden Jr, Darche, Roy, Luongo and Briere in that order.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I forgot about Luongo! Added him to the poll.

I don't think it'll be Madden, so I dunno. I'm fine with Darche, Luongo or Briere learning under Gorton.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Ideal scenario

Executive VP: Jeff Gorton
General Manager: Danny Briere
Assistant GM: Patrick Roy/Roberto Luongo
Assistant GM, director of amateur scouting: Martin Madden Jr.
Director of player personnel: Brad Richards

Last edited:
Reactions: ericd

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Are you sure about that? I thought I heard Geoff say that the final say stayed with the GM.
In French Molson replied “le DG soit responsable pour le decision finale pour l’equipe” in English he said the “GM will be accountable for decisions with the team”

It was a walking on egg shells reply - artfully avoiding answering who has final say between Gorton & GM

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think it will end up being Brière for better or worse as he is the name I am hearing the most in the media right now.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
If they really want to throw the francophone media a curve they should hire a woman. They won't know whether to shit or wind their watches.
I could totally see Danièle Sauvageau get a role with the team.

But an anglo woman would create a total clusterf*** amongst media. Every single one of them would be walking on egg shell.

Reactions: Edgy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ideal scenario

Executive VP: Jeff Gorton
General Manager: Danny Briere
Assistant GM: Patrick Roy/Roberto Luongo
Assistant GM, director of amateur scouting: Martin McGuire Jr.
Director of player personnel: Brad Richards

You may want to edit this... :nod::nod::nod:

He would speak very good French though, with the ability to speak very quickly when the needs arise.

Reactions: dinodebino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I could totally see Danièle Sauvageau get a role with the team.

But an anglo woman would create a total clusterf*** amongst media. Every single one of them would be walking on egg shell.
Emilie Castonguay would be the obvious diversity candidate should they chose one for management - the rest have more on ice related pedigree

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
In French Molson replied “le DG soit responsable pour le decision finale pour l’equipe” in English he said the “GM will be accountable for decisions with the team”
What else do you expect him to say? Do you expect him to tell the francophone media the truth? That he hired an anglo GM? This other GM position is superfluous and he only created it to dodge the language requirement. This BS about two heads are better than one is just talk. Gorton never would have taken this job without being given absolute authority over player personnel decisions. He is the GM, full stop. This hire is a meaningless gesture.

But I can assure you that whichever token "ti-gars" they eventually put into the job is the one that the francophone press will start lobbying for when they inevitably try to get Gorton fired around this time next year. That's why they're lobbying so hard for Patrick Roy now. They know as well as anyone else that Roy won't be on the job 5 minutes before he provokes a confrontation with his boss. Then they will have their desired "l'Affaire du 7ieme Etage". They're all in on a palace coup now.

Reactions: dinodebino and Edgy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm pretty sure one of Emilie Castonguay or Caroline Ouellette will end up somewhere on the flow chart.
I could totally see Castonguay in charge of the Rocket IF Brière gets the GM nod.

Reactions: Noldo

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
short Danny
upload_2021-12-2_12-3-50.gif

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What else do you expect him to say? Do you expect him to tell the francophone media the truth? That he hired an anglo GM? This other GM position is superfluous and he only created it to dodge the language requirement. This BS about two heads are better than one is just talk. Gorton never would have taken this job without being given absolute authority over player personnel decisions. He is the GM, full stop. This hire is a meaningless gesture.

But I can assure you that whichever token "ti-gars" they eventually put into the job is the one that the francophone press will start lobbying for when they inevitably try to get Gorton fired around this time next year. That's why they're lobbying so hard for Patrick Roy now. They know as well as anyone else that Roy won't be on the job 5 minutes before he provokes a confrontation with his boss. Then they will have their desired "l'Affaire du 7ieme Etage". They're all in on a palace coup now.

It seems you have more interest in the organization failing than suceeding.

Reactions: dinodebino

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Emily Castonguay would be the obvious diversity candidate should they chose one for management - the rest have more on ice related pedigree
Sauvageau has GM and lots of experience coaching, plus she graduated from university which seems to be an important criteria for a lot here.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sauvageau has GM and lots of experience coaching, plus she graduated from university which seems to be an important criteria for a lot here.
Castonguay is young with lots of runway for slow & steady growth over next 5-7 years when she’ll still be quite young and possesses a skill set neither Gorton or the next GM are very good at / possess as a skill set … contract negotiations & administration

Key takeaway - Castonguay will be a young, qualified GM even after a long apprenticeship … that’s an attribute no other candidate can match. That means the Habs can take a deliberate & steady approach in grooming her in every detailed aspect of hockey ops

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Emily Castonguay would be the obvious diversity candidate should they chose one for management - the rest have more on ice related pedigree
The best possible hire would be an bilingual but anglophone female. Then the francophone media will spend their time trying not to look as obviously sexist and bigoted as they actually are. The requirement is to have someone who can SPEAK French, not necessarily someone who IS French. And that someone also doesn't have to be a man. It would be worth it just to watch their heads explode.

Reactions: Maelpj93

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Did you not read my entire post?

It was a walking on egg shells reply - artfully avoiding answering who has final say between Gorton & GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad