The Official "What Grinds My Gears" Thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What else grinds my gears?

It's 10:15 AM on the last day of work before a holiday, and my work is all done. Yet the boss feels I should remain, just in case "something comes up"

Clearly I will be working very hard at doing nothing, for the next 5 hours.

Pfft, I have 3 1/2 more days of doing that. You're lucky you only have today :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Headcolds that hit the day before you get your first 2 day weekend in a month. :rant:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hospital wait times. Waiting for 6 hours last night from 11pm to 5am. Not a comment on our hardworking medical professionals, and more of a comment on the current system.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Headcolds that hit the day before you get your first 2 day weekend in a month. :rant:

I got some kind of weird flu right on Christmas Eve last year. Sat in my chair just barely long enough to eat the main course of Christmas dinner, then had to go back and lie down. I was a zombie. Then I gave it to my girlfriend overnight and we were supposed to be doing Christmas dinner at her house with her family on Boxing Day.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ooh another one. Quote response to a wall of text consisting of "great post". Gee thanks for making me scroll eighteen times to read that.

Yeah, but at least cheerleading posts and "first" are covered in the Site Rules. There's nothing saying you can't use "/thread" which is what bugs me the most.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I broke a nail :sarcasm:.

Happened to some I know actually but it was way more serious. He was moving a big rock with he people he worked with and when they put it down the rock fell on his finger broke his nail. He had to go get it checked out because the top portion of his finger started to turn purple. I guess circulation was affected.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Happened to some I know actually but it was way more serious. He was moving a big rock with he people he worked with and when they put it down the rock fell on his finger broke his nail. He had to go get it checked out because the top portion of his finger started to turn purple. I guess circulation was affected.

I was being sarcastic, but what you said was actually something serious :(.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not to mention half the people in front of you are there for something that is a complete waste of time. :shakehead
You can blame the health system for alot of that though, walk-ins are completely clogged and there isn't nearly enough doctors so anyone new to a city has trouble finding one.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You can blame the health system for alot of that though, walk-ins are completely clogged and there isn't nearly enough doctors so anyone new to a city has trouble finding one.

Yep. This is a huge part of the problem. The area we were sent to is what they ironically called a 'fast track' its not a regular hospital waiting room (not a walk-in, had to be brought by ambulance or have a serious issue), but its also not an ER. For people who need to see a doctor, but are not considered to be in life threatening condition.

The nurses were able to get blood samples and do EKG's on pretty much everyone in the room withing 30 minutes of them arriving, but the bottleneck happened in that there were only 2 doctors available to see 20+ patients.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep. This is a huge part of the problem. The area we were sent to is what they ironically called a 'fast track' its not a regular hospital waiting room (not a walk-in, had to be brought by ambulance or have a serious issue), but its also not an ER. For people who need to see a doctor, but are not considered to be in life threatening condition.

The nurses were able to get blood samples and do EKG's on pretty much everyone in the room withing 30 minutes of them arriving, but the bottleneck happened in that there were only 2 doctors available to see 20+ patients.
Yep, sounds about right. Until we start paying our doctors what they are worth we will keep losing the good ones to the US.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
What really grinds my gears? Sports channels. The first World Junior exhibition game is on at 8pm tonight on TSN... TSN1 that is. What do we have here in Halifax? TSN 5, which will be showing the Sens game and replaying the Canada game at, wait for it 12 freaking 30. Guess I will be catching an online stream as per usual. Seriously what is the point of even having SNet and TSN when all they do is jam bowling competitions and Sens games down my throat in place of Manchester City and Flames games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well that could have been embarrassing but I can confirm I only have TSN5.
That is weird, you should have all 5 as they are all National channels with 3-5 showing regional things that get blocked out.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Anyone else tired of being called the "Avalanche of last year" and that our team will regress next year? With Gio healthy we have a much better defense and our best prospect Sam Bennett is still to come.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Anyone else tired of being called the "Avalanche of last year" and that our team will regress next year? With Gio healthy we have a much better defense and our best prospect Sam Bennett is still to come.

My favourite conversation:

Obnoxious main boarder: "Flames have bad Corsi, they're this year's Avs."

Flames fan: "There are a variety of reasons why they are able to overcome Corsi."

Obnoxious main boarder: "Lol every year one team says the same thing. Corsi is god."

Flames fan: "LA led the league in Corsi For % this season but missed the playoffs."

Obnoxious main boarder: "There are a variety of reasons why they weren't as good as their Corsi suggests. Given those factors, Corsi is irrelevant in their case."

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Flames fan: "There are a variety of reasons why they are able to overcome Corsi."

Obnoxious main boarder: "Lol every year one team says the same thing. Corsi is god."

Flames fan: "LA led the league in Corsi For % this season but missed the playoffs."

Obnoxious main boarder: "There are a variety of reasons why they weren't as good as their Corsi suggests. Given those factors, Corsi is irrelevant in their case."

:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

In a surprising twist last years LA was the real last years Avalanche. :sarcasm:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
In a surprising twist last years LA was the real last years Avalanche. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

But seriously, all this regression talk reminds me of something I saw on the Flames subreddit. A poster commented about how Calgary may regress, but not regress the way that the Avalanche did. He made a compelling case by talking about how we have Giordano, comparable goaltending situation as this season, as well as the possibility of guys like Bennett and Granlund being regulars next season. He also mentioned that losing Statsny is an important reason as to why the Avalanche regressed.

I'll try and do some investigating and see if I can find the post, but it was from last month so that may prove difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad