The Official "What Grinds My Gears" Thread

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
For ads just download ad block!!! download it for whatver browser you have and tell me if it works. It blocks ads on every site you go and even those commercials before a youtube video. You can just go straight to the video. :yo:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
but guise christmas is such happiness and such family. nhl 14 really pisses me off though. **** that game and **** ea

Meh. I see Christmas as a consumerism gimmick. The songs are all the same and quick frankly id rather hear real music. Mind you, jazz christmas music can be nice to listen to.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
i15rq8x.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What grinds my gears, is that Analytics is being taken so seriously on this board. Seriously, I find it's ruining good debate. I realize it's part of the future of hockey discussion, but when you bring up and discuss a player's traits and someone throws analytics in your face like it's the word of the Lord, it drives me crazy and I really think it's to bad. I mean, all season we were losing the Corsi battle almost every game but we were winning the games themselves; these last 4 games we have won at Corsi, but lost each game.

I just wish people would take analytics as an added measure to reaffirm what they are seeing. Not be like, well this player/team has good or bad Corsi/Fenwick so that is the end of discussion. I'm seeing this on the main boards especially and it seriously is really frustrating the hell out of me and grinding my gears hard.

I think tonight I'm going to go home, wrap myself in my blankie with a hot chocolate and watch Trouble with the Curve.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What grinds my gears, is that Analytics is being taken so seriously on this board. Seriously, I find it's ruining good debate. I realize it's part of the future of hockey discussion, but when you bring up and discuss a player's traits and someone throws analytics in your face like it's the word of the Lord, it drives me crazy and I really think it's to bad. I mean, all season we were losing the Corsi battle almost every game but we were winning the games themselves; these last 4 games we have won at Corsi, but lost each game.

I just wish people would take analytics as an added measure to reaffirm what they are seeing. Not be like, well this player/team has good or bad Corsi/Fenwick so that is the end of discussion. I'm seeing this on the main boards especially and it seriously is really frustrating the hell out of me and grinding my gears hard.

I think tonight I'm going to go home, wrap myself in my blankie with a hot chocolate and watch Trouble with the Curve.

If you really want to make yourself feel rage, look up the twitter account of one Mr. Thomas Drance.

I agree. And the part that really makes me mad is the misinterpretation of the statistics, even by the experts. The Flames have been a perfect case study in the flaws of advanced stats (and so have the Oilers, to be honest) and yet no one else seems to notice.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I've given up hoping people will understand stats. It's so misused and often misunderstood that it hurts me.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Totally agree JH. Hockey isn't ******* baseball. The only way to know how good a player is and what their weaknesses are is to watch them.

Like I think they have a place and add to the discussion, but if I say "that player is a bad player" and they legit are, and then someone else counters and says, "well that players advanced stats are excellent so he's a number 1 dman", well crap like that pisses me off.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Like I think they have a place and add to the discussion, but if I say "that player is a bad player" and they legit are, and then someone else counters and says, "well that players advanced stats are excellent so he's a number 1 dman", well crap like that pisses me off.

I find it is often used by those who do not watch the team play regularly themselves. Its a way they can try to sound like they know what they are talking about. In reality, they are just as clueless as they were years before it became popular.

Hence, its often used on Forums such as this, or comment sections. When people have little to know accountability.

Like every other statistic, if it is used on its own, it will often mislead, or be right out wrong.

And like everyone else is saying, it's gotten really annoying. Its as if some people would prefer to have every game played out on a sheet of paper. :help:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
is when there's a hot national anthem singer (ahem, Briannah Donolo) and you'll never see her

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I find it is often used by those who do not watch the team play regularly themselves. Its a way they can try to sound like they know what they are talking about. In reality, they are just as clueless as they were years before it became popular.

Hence, its often used on Forums such as this, or comment sections. When people have little to know accountability.

Like every other statistic, if it is used on its own, it will often mislead, or be right out wrong.

And like everyone else is saying, it's gotten really annoying. Its as if some people would prefer to have every game played out on a sheet of paper. :help:

I agree. I think that's stats have their place in analysis and debate, but it's definitely not the beginning and the end of the conversation. I think, for example, it can be used when a team is trying to decide which of two players to trade for. If both players have roughly the same numbers (points, size, +/-, etc), and they are similar in the "eye test ", then maybe advance stats may be used to break the tie.

As a hockey fan, I only really need the eye test.

I don't need any calculations to tell me that Monahan, Hudler and Gaudreau make the Flames better and that Engelland, Smid and Diaz do not. It almost seems like the advanced stats people are looking for the one, conclusive stat that can determine a players worth. Unfortunately, I don't think it exists.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Christmas songs really grind my gears.

I hear that!!

I'll add that it's a huge piss off when malls start playing Christmas music on ****ing November 1st.

Also going to the trade section of HF as a whole grinds my gears (but I'm a masocist and I love it) but specifically watching our own flames fans making dumbass proposals.

Hell I was ready to rip MarkGio a new one when I saw Sieloff and Elson for Stewart. Then I realized he was just updating the main post to include offers.

Lastly, never making it in time to post my opinion before one of you gents say pretty much exactly what I'm thinking and then I have to continue to be a lurker. Jerks. <3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad