The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Now that Bergevin is insinuating his "expertise" into scouting what are the odds he'll take the character guy Tkachuk at #2? Pretty high I'd guess.
It would go against everything he said. Although, he also said that he wasn't trading Subban and Sergachev, so what do I know. Timmins hasn't screwed up a top 10 pick, so I hope that continues.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It would go against everything he said. Although, he also said that he wasn't trading Subban and Sergachev, so what do I know. Timmins hasn't screwed up a top 10 pick, so I hope that continues.

I agree, except that he just announced he's going to be active in the draft as a scout. And he has the final word. It's terrifying.

Reactions: Runner77

member 300185

So does this loss mathematically eliminate Montreal from the playoffs?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I agree, except that he just announced he's going to be active in the draft as a scout. And he has the final word. It's terrifying.
Really? I must have missed that part. If he suddenly wants to have final say, that means he doesn't trust his drafting/development which makes no sense as to why he keeps them. He also admitted that he doesn't have enough time to watch all the top prospects, but he will watch some just to know what they are like.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Really? I must have missed that part. If he suddenly wants to have final say, that means he doesn't trust his drafting/development which makes no sense as to why he keeps them. He also admitted that he doesn't have enough time to watch all the top prospects, but he will watch some just to know what they are like.

I read it in a post here today. Not sure what thread - maybe the RDS or the Bergevin one. This is seriously Dunning-Kruger stuff, if I understood his quote correctly.

From what I gleaned, he seems to think he's on the level of player assessment that Timmins and his contemporaries display.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don't know if I buy that he's suddenly going to be more involved in scouting. I think he always was. I remember him attending several junior and international games in past years so I don't think that part of his work was totally delegated. My inclination is to believe he's now resorting to his scouting "expertise" as a face-saving measure to protect his job -- Geoff has lauded him for it last week and it makes for a convenient place for him to distance himself from blunders that he may attribute to others within his organization.

But, he's playing his last cards. Once his scouting expertise has more direct handprints on decisions taken, at least from a public perception POV, there won't be much else to hang his hat on. It's already all on him, he's just adding another coat of lipstick to the pig he created.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't know if I buy that he's suddenly going to be more involved in scouting. I think he always was. I remember him attending several junior and international games in past years so I don't think that part of his work was totally delegated. My inclination is to believe he's now resorting to his scouting "expertise" as a face-saving measure to protect his job -- Geoff has lauded him for it last week and it makes for a convenient place for him to distance himself from blunders that he may attribute to others within his organization.

But, he's playing his last cards. Once his scouting expertise has more direct handprints on decisions taken, at least from a public perception POV, there won't be much else to hang his hat on. It's already all on him, he's just adding another coat of lipstick to the pig he created.

I think Bergevin is the kind of man who believes his own press. If someone compliments him as an evaluator of players, his ego elevates it to a universal fact. This is the guy who traded Subban for Weber straight up. Be afraid, be very afraid.

He'll listen to Timmins. He quite likely will make his own choice though, going with his mythical gut. I hope it's also the choice of his scouting department.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

The hell man!
It's Weber, Andrew Shaw, Drouin, the Price contract, Radulov, Markov and Alzner. You can add Galchenyuk not playing at C ever and Therrien not getting fired earlier then he did. It really is the biggest joke in the franchise history.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The hell man!
It's Weber, Andrew Shaw, Drouin, the Price contract, Radulov, Markov and Alzner. You can add Galchenyuk not playing at C ever and Therrien not getting fired earlier then he did. It really is the biggest joke in the franchise history.

Listening to Dave Morissette's show, Mike Bossy is roasting Bergevin. Everyone except Renaud Professional Hab Lap Dog Lavoie. Putz.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Listening to Dave Morissette's show, Mike Bossy is roasting Bergevin. Everyone except Renaud Professional Hab Lap Dog Lavoie. Putz.
I dont read much of facebook or Instagram messages, but the ones i read the last month, i would say 80+% of the posters are blasting the team, but not necessarily Molson. People aren't happy. Fans need to start shaming the organization and Bergevin might not make it past this summer. But it needs to happen.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So does this loss mathematically eliminate Montreal from the playoffs?

Yes.

Even if Habs win their 9 remaining games, they reach 82 points. Devils currently sit at 82 so even if all the teams ahead of Habs lose, they still won't make it because Devils have 37 wins and Habs can't get more than 35 wins.

So, they are officially out.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yotes won , they are only 5 points behind

Ottawa and wings are 1 pt behind with 1 game in hand

This looks good keep losing guys

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Decent night last night. BUF lost, but ARI won, so they are 5 points back. I mean, I doubt they will ever catch us, but you never know.

LAK won, so they are tied with Anaheim, but hold the 3rd place position in the Pacific due to ROWs. That said, both ANA and COL (who have agame in hand) are in the wild card spot and all 3 teams are tied in points. LAK can't afford to lose any points.

Tonight, we are looking for:

EDM beat CAR - Can put EDM 5 points up on us.
DET beat PHI - Put DET one point up on us.
OTT beat FLO - Put OTT one point up.
CHI beat COL - I think CHI is pretty safe to stay out of the top-6, but a win puts them 8 up on us.
VAN beat VGK - VAN will be 3 behind us.
NJD beat SJS - This will keep SJS within reach of LAK.
LAK beat WIN - Solidify their playoff spot.

While I think all the results are desirable, a DET win will drop us from 5th to 4th. I think while hoping for a lottery win is nice, the goal here is to finish as low as possible so that we stay further away from the #8-10 picks.

Reactions: ArsHabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lavoie is maybe the only guy I dislike more than Gaston Therrien......both these loafs are like anchovies and olives on a pizza

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Wahlstrom would be a good consolation prize if we don't get Dahlin. Svechnikov and Zadina are better players, sure, but Wahlstrom is excellent as well and fits our needs at centre.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think Bergevin is the kind of man who believes his own press. If someone compliments him as an evaluator of players, his ego elevates it to a universal fact. This is the guy who traded Subban for Weber straight up. Be afraid, be very afraid.

He'll listen to Timmins. He quite likely will make his own choice though, going with his mythical gut. I hope it's also the choice of his scouting department.

Seeing the hard on Bergevin had for Reilly, that might work in our favor. The top 10 is stacked with defensemen with "character and speed" and I'd be happy with any of them.

Wahlstrom would be a good consolation prize if we don't get Dahlin. Svechnikov and Zadina are better players, sure, but Wahlstrom is excellent as well and fits our needs at centre.

Much as I would like Wahlstrom, can't see this team draft him unless he's what's left. Remains to be seen if he's a center as well.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
DET and VAN are really taking hard. I'd be happy with finishing third last but it's going to be tough. We have two games against DET coming up and they are MUST lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad