The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was wrong. Brennan and Warne is a disaster.
haha.. I heard 5 minutes this morning, and I caught a good nugget. Brennan was speculating that Gaborik "must" have some kind of no trade list "because veteran"... like, dude, it's your job to look this stuff up before bringing up some hot take on air.

Warne did call him out on not knowing, but then he said "just messing with you" so that was disappointing.

Mediocrity rulezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Warne did call him out on not knowing, but then he said "just messing with you" so that was disappointing.

Probably because Warne didn't really know the answer either. Nevermind that they both have computers sitting right in front of them during the show.

My 45 minute drive to work this morning consisted of 9 minutes of air time, with two full length Dean Roberts sports updates which are at least 5 minutes each and the rest was commercials.

Very much mediocrity rulezzz

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
haha.. I heard 5 minutes this morning, and I caught a good nugget. Brennan was speculating that Gaborik "must" have some kind of no trade list "because veteran"... like, dude, it's your job to look this stuff up before bringing up some hot take on air.

Mediocrity rulezzz

Brennan shouldn’t be allowed on radio.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I actually came to this board looking for this thread and it was right at the top. Anyways...

I was listening to the radio yesterday morning around 10am and Lee Versage was on.

He was spouting off some stuff how the Leafs just beat Ottawa, but Ottawa beat Nashville a few days prior.... and if the Leafs play Nashville in a 7 game series, that Nashville will likely win. But Ottawa just beat them! So is Ottawa better than Toronto?

I don't know, it was pretty bizarre and tough to listen too.

He has a SERIOUS hate on for Toronto. He's argued that Marner is going to be out of the league soon (legit, "out of the league" not "wont be very good".). He argued up and down how he would take Cowen over Kadri and then 2 weeks later Cowen is a throw in in the Phaneuf deal. He compared Hoffman with Ovechkin.

Guys pretty tough to listen too with his hawt takes.

Versage isn't even giving out hot takes, he actually believes his own nonsense. The guy honestly doesn't seem that bright, his takes are brutal.

The other day he was saying that it is "unfair" to consider Anselmi's departure as part of a bigger trend i.e. people don't want to be a part of this team. Why is that unfair??? No reason given.

Earlier in the year he was arguing the Sens were a top 4 team because rhey made the semi finals, as though getting hot for 11 games might skew an otherwise mediocore record and not be entirely representative.

Then the other day he is going off on Zibad for mostly scoring only when his team loses. Wtf? Since when is that relevant? If other Rangers scored in losses like him they wouldn't be losses. It's basically a meaningless stat unless all the goals are being scored when it is 7-1 or something. If he scores the first goal of the game and the team loses 2-1, how does that goal have any less worth than putting the score from 3-1 to 4-1? It is pretty much just statistical randomness.

I lose respect for Mendes for not pushing back on Versage's moronic takes.

The guy has no business even being on the radio. He brings nothing to the table. Horrible voice, takes, no sense of humour, no levity, argumentative and boring. All in one.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I lose respect for Mendes for not pushing back on Versage's moronic takes.

As much as I dislike Versage, Mendes is probably just happy to not have Simmer on with him, he seems very care-free when paired with Versage. At least Versage can stay on topic and is very predictable. Don't get me wrong, Simmer doesn't make my ears bleed, but he does seem to be a radio host's nightmare (doesn't do any prep work, veers off topic, no filter, poor vocabulary, grammar, etc.)

Reactions: Stylizer1

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
With so many great podcasts available (including Sens-specific podcasts), why subject yourself to the constant commercials and mediocre coverage of TSN1200?

The only worthwhile segment is Pierre McGuire every morning (love him or hate him).

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
As much as I dislike Versage, Mendes is probably just happy to not have Simmer on with him, he seems very care-free when paired with Versage. At least Versage can stay on topic and is very predictable. Don't get me wrong, Simmer doesn't make my ears bleed, but he does seem to be a radio host's nightmare (doesn't do any prep work, veers off topic, no filter, poor vocabulary, grammar, etc.)
Simpson asking a question in an interview:
0.png

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Try taking some time off from listening to 1200 (particularly the morning segment) and I suspect you’ll realize it was really just a nasty habit.
The cost/benefit ratio in terms of tolerating incessant commercials and nauseating personal anectdotes is abysmal.
Why anyone would want to listen to Brennan is beyond me. His analysis can only be described as infantile.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The first big trade to jump start this rebuild and they have been talking about Valentine dates since I tuned in smh...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I know this isn't Ottawa radio specific, but more on a National scale.

When did the TSN Hockey Insiders become so good at talking so much without really saying anything at all? Dreger and Lebrun are the absolute worst. What happened to the "well-informed" inside scoops we used to get? There was a time when these guys would actually "get the inside scoop" and speak about their opinions, now it seems like they just talk in circles around every subject. I have even cooled on Bobby Mac this year as well.

Just been noticing it the past few weeks in both Dreger and Lebrun's spots on the Drive. Even Ian's questions seem to be pre-scripted or is it that he just doesn't ask the right questions, or are these guys just too scared to lose their sources?

At least we still have Ferraro and they are still better much than the Sportsnet guys, but at least we get opinions and rumours from the Sportsnet guys (as bad as some may be)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Its essentially organizations becoming more tight lipped and stopped sharing everything with the media or using the media to trade or make transactions, as it becomes a distraction and a circus around the team. I am surprised it has lasted this long to be honest with you. I noticed even Bobby Mac is running out of the scoops.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Anyone else tired of the car commercials that they play on the station? Especially those ones that has some guy using a stereotypical Canadian accent and overusing the words "eh" and "bud".

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I know this isn't Ottawa radio specific, but more on a National scale.

When did the TSN Hockey Insiders become so good at talking so much without really saying anything at all?

They've sounded like that for like 20 years for me. As far as my ears are concerned, it's the same now as it ever has been. It's always been soft journalism.

Dreger and Lebrun are the absolute worst.

Dreger has always been the worst, yes.

I don't mind Lebrun. He's pretty connected. His written stuff is admittedly better than when he's on a TV panel or the radio, though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Anyone else tired of the car commercials that they play on the station? Especially those ones that has some guy using a stereotypical Canadian accent and overusing the words "eh" and "bud".

Yeah, that Letterkenny style.

We say Yeah! We say Yeeeaaaah! At Jim Keay Ford Lincoln...lol, hey it works but man, on post game shows, and I know they pay for it, it is literally every break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad