Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don't buy this at all. The NHL is full of teams with flawed rosters that overachieve for one year before regressing. Happens all the time with all kinds of different coaches. The Flyers did it 2015-16 with a clueless college coach.
The roster is significantly better than anything they've put out over the last two seasons - and that is the reason they are fighting for a playoff spot. While he's made this team better in some regards, specifically defensively, there's no way anyone can convince me he's getting the most out of this roster. There's been way too many deployment question marks over the course of this season to think that IMO.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Also, if Torts does get fired, please god for Mitch Love. Big success in the AHL and seems to be doing decent as an assistant coach for the Caps.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Honestly, if the Flyers stay in the playoff race this long and it just completely falls apart and losing all of these need-to-win games, I can see the possibility of him being fired. To stay in the race that long, especially with the core of the team being basically healthy all year, things he's said (while saying them without irony as he is fully just as responsible for f***ing up) and then fall out of the playoffs in the last 10 games should be fire-worthy.

I know people say that changing coaches does nothing, but there are a couple things with this. One, Torts has notoriously had a half life with new teams that weren't Tampa Bay. Hell, if anything, he seems to be someone who also scares actually talented people away (see Panarin and Bob). And two, it's much easier to replace the coach, their systems and other coaches around them than it is the whole team. You can't just throw away the whole team and play with nothing. If you do that, you're the SJ Sharks and they are a straight up embarrassment. It's not good for business and not good for money.

Also, new coaches can help revitalize some active interest in the team for those that may have lapsed on the previous coach.
you know it was conditional to DB and Jones hiring that Torts wasnt removed..

he aint going anywere but up... not sure why people think hes going away..

its just not how things work @Flyers...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
you know it was conditional to DB and Jones hiring that Torts wasnt removed..

he aint going anywere but up... not sure why people think hes going away..

its just not how things work @Flyers...

If the results are poor, why keep that person around? And what f***ing position does Torts have? Do you think Flahr is being fired for him? If you mean advisor, then there are deeper problems with this club than we know.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
If the results are poor, why keep that person around?
Problem #1: The Flyers don't think the results are poor. They have been crowing about how much he's helped the culture. Hell, Hilferty called him their "Spiritual Leader" over the summer.

And what f***ing position does Torts have? Do you think Flahr is being fired for him? If you mean advisor, then there are deeper problems with this club than we know.
Advisor, special assistant to the GM, they're adept at making positions for people that they want to keep around.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The roster is significantly better than anything they've put out over the last two seasons - and that is the reason they are fighting for a playoff spot. While he's made this team better in some regards, specifically defensively, there's no way anyone can convince me he's getting the most out of this roster. There's been way too many deployment question marks over the course of this season to think that IMO.

Playmaking limitations and a need to staple a "safe" player wherever possible has definitely limited offense.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
If the results are poor, why keep that person around? And what f***ing position does Torts have? Do you think Flahr is being fired for him? If you mean advisor, then there are deeper problems with this club than we know.
618GT2doyGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
As we've seen enough times with Torts teams, they start fast due to their intense training camp, and driven really hard throughout the season only to falter later in the season. This causes a lot of early optimism as the team is higher in the standings.

The problem is the team is tired, he said so himself before the Islanders game, before he retracted it after the game. That's completely on him alone for driving the team too hard too early and/or not given them enough rest down the stretch.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Torts isn't getting fired. Many on this forum are huffing vapors or some shit. Doesn't take Scooby Doo to pull the Torts mask off and find Carter Hart as the real villain here. The Carter Hart as starter and Errson as backup was gold. Errson on his own as starter...with the revolving door of nonsense backups -- not so good.

All coaches have flaws, Torts has flaws. His deployment at times isn't good. His PP is garbage. But he's also responsible for the development we see in the young players, and we are in a playoff race despite the Goalie situation for the first time in years.

The front office sees WF packed, they see the brand doing better than at any time recently and those receipts matter. The team has been bleeding support to its rivals for a decade or more, and they see what is being built here going forward as a like counteroffensive. They are more likely to double down on Torts than otherwise.

Watch this happen.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Torts isn't getting fired. Many on this forum are huffing vapors or some shit. Doesn't take Scooby Doo to pull the Torts mask off and find Carter Hart as the real villain here. The Carter Hart as starter and Errson as backup was gold. Errson on his own as starter...with the revolving door of nonsense backups -- not so good.

All coaches have flaws, Torts has flaws. His deployment at times isn't good. His PP is garbage. But he's also responsible for the development we see in the young players, and we are in a playoff race despite the Goalie situation for the first time in years.

The front office sees WF packed, they see the brand doing better than at any time recently and those receipts matter. The team has been bleeding support to its rivals for a decade or more, and they see what is being built here going forward as a like counteroffensive. They are more likely to double down on Torts than otherwise.

Watch this happen.
Torts obviously isn’t getting fired. For better or for worse, he’s here for the foreseeable future.

I don’t agree that all the bad has been undone from a brand perspective. The building wasn’t full last night, and they still routinely see far more road fans than they did in the early 2010s. They certainly are better than they were this time two years ago, but there is still a long way to go.

Reactions: Hexxxy

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Torts obviously isn’t getting fired. For better or for worse, he’s here for the foreseeable future.

I don’t agree that all the bad has been undone from a brand perspective. The building wasn’t full last night, and they still routinely see far more road fans than they did in the early 2010s. They certainly are better than they were this time two years ago, but there is still a long way to go.
it hasn't all been undone, that's right. but there is no doubt they feel a momentum shift and that has the front office salivating that they can get it back to where it was (which is unlikely until Michkov). They have no star power. None. Konecny isn't that kind of hero. Couts is a dinosaur that can't score. Carter Hart is a....

I completely agree with you, which is why I called what they are doing a counteroffensive. As in, it's gonna take some time.

Reactions: orangecrush8

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm watching the Penguins. If Sullivan gets canned there after the season, I expect, but don't want, him behind the bench for the Flyers next season.

Sullivan did a very good job for a while in Pittsburgh. I do not know if that was a result of him being so familiar with the roster thanks to coaching a chunk of them in the AHL, and thus knowing how to get the most out of them. All credit to him, he knew precisely what to do. He also made really good game plans in those runs, and coached around a lot of major injuries.

Will that be repeated coming in cold to a different team? That is the question.

Not a relevant one for us anyway, they'll certainly be promoting Shaw if Tortorella promotes himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyerfan4life

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Sullivan did a very good job for a while in Pittsburgh. I do not know if that was a result of him being so familiar with the roster thanks to coaching a chunk of them in the NHL, and thus knowing how to get the most out of them. All credit to him, he knew precisely what to do. He also made really good game plans in those runs, and coached around a lot of major injuries.

Will that be repeated coming in cold to a different team? That is the question.

Not a relevant one for us anyway, they'll certainly be promoting Shaw if Tortorella promotes himself.
I guess that I could tolerate Sullivan. Shaw is fine but is he more than a defensive coach? Don’t want Lappy slipping in the back door here.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That you Bob Clarke? Please stop "advising" this team on anything and just move on.

Is anyone else thinking this team will be worse off once Torts moves into a management role? He's the last person I wanted added to this management think tank, he'll just huff the farts of Lombardi and Clarke and all the other legacy rubes and regurgitate all their awful policies back to them in a cursed validation feedback loop.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
That you Bob Clarke? Please stop "advising" this team on anything and just move on.

Is anyone else thinking this team will be worse off once Torts moves into a management role? He's the last person I wanted added to this management think tank, he'll just huff the farts of Lombardi and Clarke and all the other legacy rubes and regurgitate all their awful policies back to them in a cursed validation feedback loop.
100% the team will be worse next year..

#maximumpain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad