Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Torts got more out of this roster than any coach could have -- except for the PP. They couldn't overcome the Hart situation and the PP and the injuries. That's what happened. Fire Torts? Fire Carter Hart. Pull off the Torts mask and you'll find the real villain is Hart.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I would love for Danny Briere to force Torts to sit in the press box for a game or two
Torts got more out of this roster than any coach could have -- except for the PP. They couldn't overcome the Hart situation and the PP and the injuries. That's what happened. Fire Torts? Fire Carter Hart. Pull off the Torts mask and you'll find the real villain is Hart.
Torts is my Precious.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
The players look like theyve quit on Torts finally after all of the childish games he's played this season. I think the Couturier nonsense was the last straw.
They quit, just quit with like 10 games to go, while in position to make the playoffs. and teams breathing down their necks. Out of spite.

To miss the playoffs.

Right.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The big swoon was December-January, before any trades.

image.png

It just wasn't obvious like it is now because:

image.png

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
They quit, just quit with like 10 games to go, while in position to make the playoffs. and teams breathing down their necks. Out of spite.

To miss the playoffs.

Right.
It’s not a conscious thing, in their heads they don’t feel like they’ve quit. But, when you see a guy who is universally respected come back after 2 back surgeries and missing nearly 2 full seasons, play his ass off while the coach burdens him with a much too heavy workload at the start of the season, and then, when the player inevitably breaks down, the coach treats him like crap and publicly disrespects him, players lose respect for the coach.

They start to think, hmm, this guy is full of shit with his accountability message and I guess if I get hurt, he’s not gonna have my back. You get frustrated and angry and it affects your play. The coach admits that he likes to challenge players and play mind games with them, those tactics grow old fast.

They aren’t quitting, that’s a bad choice of words, but they are tired of his methods and worn out from being pushed to give a game 7 effort night just to stay with most teams. Tortorella’s methods are unsustainable and he has publicly stated that things like offense, modern analytics and such are beyond him. He is an interim coach that that get a team to come together and play hard, but that’s all he’s got.

Torts has taken this team as far as it’s going to go with him behind the bench. He needs to go.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
It’s not a conscious thing, in their heads they don’t feel like they’ve quit. But, when you see a guy who is universally respected come back after 2 back surgeries and missing nearly 2 full seasons, play his ass off while the coach burdens him with a much too heavy workload at the start of the season, and then, when the player inevitably breaks down, the coach treats him like crap and publicly disrespects him, players lose respect for the coach.

They start to think, hmm, this guy is full of shit with his accountability message and I guess if I get hurt, he’s not gonna have my back. You get frustrated and angry and it affects your play. The coach admits that he likes to challenge players and play mind games with them, those tactics grow old fast.

They aren’t quitting, that’s a bad choice of words, but they are tired of his methods and worn out from being pushed to give a game 7 effort night just to stay with most teams. Tortorella’s methods are unsustainable and he has publicly stated that things like offense, modern analytics and such are beyond him. He is an interim coach that that get a team to come together and play hard, but that’s all he’s got.

Torts has taken this team as far as it’s going to go with him behind the bench. He needs to go.
No serious athlete chokes a season away, a playoffs away, on purpose, out of spite, just to get some sort of psychological revenge on "Torts." It's just not plausible.

What is being suggested by many might make sense if you remove all of the context. (I blame Torts for the PP. That's an egregious mistake that is close to being on par with the goalie situation.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

The bum talks about accountability but then when his moves cause losses, he ducks the post game pressers. Fraud.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
All it takes is listening to a weeks worth of pregame and post game pressers from Torts to know how full of shit he is. He says whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and the media just rolls with it.

His walk backs recently just make me believe he’s trying to smooth things over the locker room again after doing touchy things.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Your team was a bottom feeder last year and this year you're fighting for a playoff spot with relatively little talent. Torts has them playing hard and reasonably well. The Rangers should have beaten the crap out of you yesterday and didn't. I can't see ragging on your coach this year because you think he put the wrong line out in overtime. All in all he seems to have done very well.
Thank you. I feel very reassured and uplifted by your words, and I will look on my feelings about John Tortorella in a brand new light.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
he really does talk alot of shit doesnt he.. press will never ask him about his previous points on tiredness..
The Philly press just lobs softballs, they don't ask too many tough questions.

His record with the Rangers on back to backs was head and shoulders above the rest of the league. He does some things quite well and struggles with others (PP, OT, etc...).

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
“It’s an entitled league. You have these guys hopping from team to team, getting paid millions. And they haven’t earned anything in years, but that’s the way a dumb league operates. They’re just guys with big egos, used to being genuflected to, but I guess that’s the way it’s done.”

Torts in a parallel universe.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
“It’s an entitled league. You have these guys hopping from team to team, getting paid millions. And they haven’t earned anything in years, but that’s the way a dumb league operates. They’re just guys with big egos, used to being genuflected to, but I guess that’s the way it’s done.”

Torts in a parallel universe.

Did he mean to describe himself

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, if the Flyers stay in the playoff race this long and it just completely falls apart and losing all of these need-to-win games, I can see the possibility of him being fired. To stay in the race that long, especially with the core of the team being basically healthy all year, things he's said (while saying them without irony as he is fully just as responsible for f***ing up) and then fall out of the playoffs in the last 10 games should be fire-worthy.

I know people say that changing coaches does nothing, but there are a couple things with this. One, Torts has notoriously had a half life with new teams that weren't Tampa Bay. Hell, if anything, he seems to be someone who also scares actually talented people away (see Panarin and Bob). And two, it's much easier to replace the coach, their systems and other coaches around them than it is the whole team. You can't just throw away the whole team and play with nothing. If you do that, you're the SJ Sharks and they are a straight up embarrassment. It's not good for business and not good for money.

Also, new coaches can help revitalize some active interest in the team for those that may have lapsed on the previous coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad