HF Habs: The official 2023-2024 tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I thought if both Calgary and Florida's pick are outside the top 10 in 2025 we get the better pick?

I could see a world where Calgarys pick is in the early teens next year.

I mean Calgary is currently sitting 8th OA in 2024 draft, and they're probably going to trade Markstrom. I don't see them getting better. They're going to want to ensure a top 10 pick for themselves next year giving us the Florida pick, which will be a 25+ in all likelihood.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm still speechless that some of our fans would be willing to give our own 1st for this guy. I would not give a top 5th-6th pick for him.

I see a frustrated kid, playing in an organization that's been a dumpster fire for years, for a GM that isn't invested in him... Struggling through an injury-ravaged season that's probably the worst year of hockey in his life.

If one thinks his emotional immaturity is a permanent character flaw, then sure, it would be crazy to target him.

If someone knows the person well, and sees an intense competitor with elite skills burried under the frustration and fear, then it's a no-brainer target.

I'll be surprised if Zegras isn't traded this summer.

I'd be shocked if the Habs didn't make a competitive offer.

I'll be happy if he's in our top 9 heading into next season.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see a frustrated kid, playing in an organization that's been a dumpster fire for years, for a GM that isn't invested in him... Struggling through an injury-ravaged season that's probably the worst year of hockey in his life.

If one thinks his emotional immaturity is a permanent character flaw, then sure, it would be crazy to target him.

If someone knows the person well, and sees an intense competitor with elite skills burried under the frustration and fear, than it's a no-brainer target.

It'd be the first move of the Hugo regime that I'd be furious with.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If they acquire Zegras then it will be a great move because if they felt there was anything seriously wrong with his attitude or compete they would have no interest.
Exactly.

The track record of this management team thus far in quality character assessment is impressive.

They know Zegras well. If they go after him, the odds are high we're going to see the impressive 200ft dynamic playmaker & competitor he was coming into the league. The talent & skating has clearly translated, the compete to win seems lacking, but that environment likely has played a role.

Slaf/CC/Suzuki/Zegras/Dach/Newhook/Roy... That's a wickedly talented group of forwards @~30M cap charge the next 2-3 seasons.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We need Detroit, NYI, and Philly to win as much as possible. We play them in 4 of the final 5 games of the season. We want those games to mean something to them, so they play hard, and we don't load up the score and score 10 goals like we did in the final game of the season against the Panthers two years ago when they had nothing to play for.

We also need Edmonton, Toronto, Nashville, Vegas, and Tampa to keep winning so as many of them as possible can surpass the Jets, so our other 1st is as close to 20th overall as possible.

We also need to root for Florida, Colorado, Boston, Vancouver, and Carolina to stay ahead of the Jets.

And of course we need to root for Arizona, Ottawa, Calgary, Seattle, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh to finish ahead of us.

A lot of teams to root for: 19 teams to cheer for, two to cheer against (Us and the Jets).

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Until they realize they acquired Drouin in an American body
Drouin has always been mediocre. Playing with stars and superstars he might put up 50 pts this year. Zegras has put up 65 with Terry and a pile of garbage.
Zegras is a far better player. The only question is whether he is a team player and willing to play a complete game. Hughes will know that.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I'm still speechless that some of our fans would be willing to give our own 1st for this guy. I would not give a top 5th-6th pick for him.
Don’t worry, we won’t have the 5th or 6th pick, we are aiming for 11 lol.

Reactions: habsfan891

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

If someone knows the person well, and sees an intense competitor with elite skills burried under the frustration and fear, then it's a no-brainer target.

I would make trade for Crouse instead. He's signed long term reasonable. Let's Habs make another big move. Crouse Adds size and 25 goals. Much more acquirable. Zegras be expensive to acquire

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the order go back first eliminated and so forth for the playoff team picks or did that change to only the remaining 4 teams left?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would make trade for Crouse instead. He's signed long term reasonable. Let's Habs make another big move. Crouse Adds size and 25 goals. Much more acquirable. Zegras be expensive to acquire
I have ptsd from out last Arizona trade I think I'd only trade for Keller from them because he's already a star lol

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I have ptsd from out last Arizona trade I think I'd only trade for Keller from them because he's already a star lol
here we go again with the lack of foresight to our team makeup. I repeat, we DO NOT want anymore small players... this has got to end once and for all. you know why Arizona is still dog shit? bc their top 2 players are small - Keller and Cooley. we already have CC, no more.

Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
If they acquire Zegras then it will be a great move because if they felt there was anything seriously wrong with his attitude or compete they would have no interest.

The problem is the price for Zegras. Do Anaheim take Winnipeg first + Extra for Zegras? No way I would trade Habs first round for him. We are drafting around #5-7.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
here we go again with the lack of foresight to our team makeup. I repeat, we DO NOT want anymore small players... this has got to end once and for all. you know why Arizona is still dog shit? bc their top 2 players are small - Keller and Cooley. we already have CC, no more.
I get that but Crouse is not the answer

Reactions: LaP

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The problem is the price for Zegras. Do Anaheim take Winnipeg first + Extra for Zegras? No way I would trade Habs first round for him. We are drafting around #5-7.

Indeed. It's not "Zegras at any price"... a competitive offer if they believe in his ability to fit in to the culture they are building makes sense.

Reactions: Gustave

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

People can change, and with the right bunch of guy's around him more so.

I dont see a young guy comin in with the likes of Suzuki, Xhekaj, Ghule and other leader we have not buying into the team culture that we are seing right now, but like you said i trust management to know better than me and WTK

Reactions: Miller Time

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Can we stop going for the Crouse of the world and go for real offensive talent?

I don’t believe in Zegras though.
Lawson Crouse is one of those guys who will slow down early. He has trouble reaching 40 points. He's an overrated grinder who will likely start to slow down at the end of his 20ies. He'll be 27 next season. I would target someone else either more skilled or younger. Let's not try to skip steps like Yzerman never a good idea imo. We can find a Lawson Crouse in 2 or 3 years when the team will be ready spending assets on that type of players now would be a waste imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad