GDT: The Official 2015 #hcanes NFL season thread

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The good news is the Panthers got to the Super Bowl with the worst receiver corp in the League.

The bad news is that this showed, badly, in the Super Bowl, when none of the receivers could beat their coverage consistently/make plays when Cam threw a good ball.

Ginn can stay, Brown/Cotchery need to be replaced. I hope Funchess can do that with his growth, become a great #2 to Benjamin's great #1 (provided he comes back strong from injury), but they still need someone else.

Then another cornerback and another safety and we're good to go.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I remember being absurdly down on this season and am too scared to look up what I posted back when Benjamin was injured. So this ending is absurdly bittersweet given my expectations for the season. I'm looking forward to seeing Benjamin and Funchess together to go along with Olsen. Three huge targets for Cam to work with should be nice but we still need someone reliable.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The good news is the Panthers got to the Super Bowl with the worst receiver corp in the League.

The bad news is that this showed, badly, in the Super Bowl, when none of the receivers could beat their coverage consistently/make plays when Cam threw a good ball.

Ginn can stay, Brown/Cotchery need to be replaced. I hope Funchess can do that with his growth, become a great #2 to Benjamin's great #1 (provided he comes back strong from injury), but they still need someone else.

Then another cornerback and another safety and we're good to go.

I'd go:

1. Pass Rusher(s)
2. Nickel/Corner
3. Tackle depth (assuming Williams is the front-runner for RT)
4. Safety
5. RB/WR depth

Our lack of pass rush has to be the top issue, we had to blitz much more than in '13 where we were actually able to get pressure with 4 rushers, like Denver did last night. Finnegan was serviceable for a while, but we definitely need an upgrade there, assuming Tillman isn't back and Bene moves outside (where he seemed to play better anyways). Apparently Eric Weddle is a free agent, would love to grab him, Rivera would definitely be familiar.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Newton playing at such a high level hide the lack of talent at WR, up until the final game of the season where it reared in full force.

Benjamin will help. Funchess getting another year + consistent starting time will help. Banking on Newton having another MVP season isn't good for this team, get him as many weapons as possible.

As for a pass rush, it was average IIRC. Elite dt in Short, Ealy/Johnson are good, but Johnson is almost certainly getting traded/cut, so gotta replace him.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
Newton playing at such a high level hide the lack of talent at WR, up until the final game of the season where it reared in full force.

Benjamin will help. Funchess getting another year + consistent starting time will help. Banking on Newton having another MVP season isn't good for this team, get him as many weapons as possible.

As for a pass rush, it was average IIRC. Elite dt in Short, Ealy/Johnson are good, but Johnson is almost certainly getting traded/cut, so gotta replace him.

Yeah the WR's could use improvement, but don't forget they went against the best secondary in the league.

Remember how our defense made other offenses look all year? That's what Denver did to us. I truly underestimated their D. Essentially they played as good as ours did but capitalized on our turnovers much better.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd say in general the pass rush is more important than the receiving corps (certainly is in Gettleman's mind), and that group is currently in much better shape than our edge rushers. Benjamin, Funchess, Olsen, Ginn is a pretty good group, and after them I'd look to add a solid, mid-tier free agent receiver to solidify our depth. Don't think we need to upgrade the starters there, but we need starters at DE, RT (perhaps already on the roster with Daryl Williams), nickel (replace Finnegan, assume Bene replaces Tillman opposite Norman), and safety (replace Harper, could be Boston). Johnson/Allen will probably be cap casualties, neither was really that effective when healthy this year. Maybe bring Allen back for depth after we cut him, credit to him for playing with the foot injury.

I'm all for giving Cam more weapons, and agree we could use another receiver, but I don't think it makes sense to splash big money or spend a high draft pick there with those other holes. We run enough two-TE sets, and are obviously a run-heavy team, so I'd be more focused on grabbing a mid-tier receiver to solidify the depth of that group. I'd love to have someone like Alshon Jeffery, but not sure we can justify a luxury signing at that position. Maybe that's what you're saying (mid-tier receiver rather than a stud like Jeffery), but I'd look to fix those other couple holes first.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Is the general consensus they'll be able to re-sign Norman?

They'll probably franchise tag him, then work on a long-term deal.

As far as the draft goes, I definitely think a pass rusher is the number one need. One of Shaq Lawson, Noah Spence or Kevin Dodd should be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad