GDT: The Official 2015 #hcanes NFL season thread

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Wings in the smoker, sis is bringing the pulled pork, wife's aunt bringing the slaw and beans, couple quarts of shine.

Mods please be gentle if I'm posting after 11pm

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It was a great season but the performance from the offense today was pathetic. It's like they left their hands in Charlotte

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
On the flip side: they hadn't seen a defense that good, and they'd never played in a superb owl game before. They're good enough to make it back.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well, congrats to the 2005-06 Hurricanes on still being the only pro champion in the Carolinas. Sucks though because that might have been our regions best shot for a while. Hornets are stuck in a star driven league with no stars and questionable signings and the Hurricanes are still in rebuild mode.

Panthers could be back, but who knows what transactions happen this offseason.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm kind of numb right now and have a headache, I'll probably pissed/sad at some point tonight and tomorrow, and I don't know what after that

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
On the flip side: they hadn't seen a defense that good, and they'd never played in a superb owl game before. They're good enough to make it back.

I don't know a lot about football anymore but everyone kept saying they only won games due to an injured division but I thought they played well the ejntire year. If they got like 1 or 2 more receivers I think they'd be more set for perennial contention.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The WRs were wide open all year for Cam. Great offensive scheme by Mike Shula.

But they faced a D that pressured Cam more than anyone did all year, and receivers were blanketed.

I just think with more talented receivers that could get open against anyone, they'd be even better.

But Denver's D is all-time I think.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I hate it for one of my buddies from high school. He's been a die hard Panthers fan since I've known him. At least we got to actually see our Hurricanes come away with a Stanley Cup victory. These kind of moments don't come around much at all if ever and I hope that they can make it back relatively soon.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Miller/Ware had a field day on our tackles, Remmers especially. Not sure why we didn't give him any help, he was getting abused all night and Shula continued to leave him on an island. Just wasn't our night, that bizarre no catch call on the Cotchery play, and the strip sack TD that immediately followed really set the tone. Cotchery must have had more drops tonight than all season, he'd been so sure-handed this year.

This really stings right now, sucks to come this far and fall short. A few positive take-aways, we're built to be back and competitive for at least the foreseeable future with young studs on both sides of the ball. Ealy had his breakout performance, he'd have been the mvp had we come back and won somehow. Excited to get Kelvin back and improve in free agency/the draft. We'll be back.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
What the Broncos did to us reminds me of what we did to teams in '03 that prompted the rule changes with Ricky Manning Jr. out there just straight mugging WRs and hand checking and grabbing and holding all the way down the field. Our WR crew was too small to get open. They schemed to double team Greg the entire game and when they took him away, they took away our passing options. Our defense shut them down and they shut us down. Whoever had the idea of putting Mike Remmers on Von Miller the entire game with minimal help should have expected no less than what happened to him.

With that said, there were still a few opportunities for us to generate some offense that we missed. The missed FG was huge. The INT in their half of the field was huge. But ultimately, we didn't make the plays we had to make in order to win. Peyton did his best Trent Dilfer impression and managed the football. Full marks to our defense, who played far better than the 24 points allowed would have you believe.

And blaming officiating is such a slippery slope, but I hate the fact that their defensive touchdown came as almost a direct result of them missing the catch Jerricho Cotchery made earlier in the drive. That was sad. Still not sure how they didn't overturn that one.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Miller/Ware had a field day on our tackles, Remmers especially. Not sure why we didn't give him any help, he was getting abused all night and Shula continued to leave him on an island. Just wasn't our night, that bizarre no catch call on the Cotchery play, and the strip sack TD that immediately followed really set the tone. Cotchery must have had more drops tonight than all season, he'd been so sure-handed this year.

This really stings right now, sucks to come this far and fall short. A few positive take-aways, we're built to be back and competitive for at least the foreseeable future with young studs on both sides of the ball. Ealy had his breakout performance, he'd have been the mvp had we come back and won somehow. Excited to get Kelvin back and improve in free agency/the draft. We'll be back.

We have to make RT a priority. Remmers would be a good slot filler kind of player, but we need someone that can hold their own against pass rushers. I know Von Miller is a beast, but we can't have one position battle change the outcome of the game.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
What the Broncos did to us reminds me of what we did to teams in '03 that prompted the rule changes with Ricky Manning Jr. out there just straight mugging WRs and hand checking and grabbing and holding all the way down the field. Our WR crew was too small to get open. They schemed to double team Greg the entire game and when they took him away, they took away our passing options. Our defense shut them down and they shut us down. Whoever had the idea of putting Mike Remmers on Von Miller the entire game with minimal help should have expected no less than what happened to him.

With that said, there were still a few opportunities for us to generate some offense that we missed. The missed FG was huge. The INT in their half of the field was huge. But ultimately, we didn't make the plays we had to make in order to win. Peyton did his best Trent Dilfer impression and managed the football. Full marks to our defense, who played far better than the 24 points allowed would have you believe.

And blaming officiating is such a slippery slope, but I hate the fact that their defensive touchdown came as almost a direct result of them missing the catch Jerricho Cotchery made earlier in the drive. That was sad. Still not sure how they didn't overturn that one.

#1 - the nose of the football touched the ground and it altered Cotchery's grip on it in his arms. By definition that's incomplete, in this weird football world of "what is a catch." Not saying it's right overall....but by the rules it is. I wasn't surprised at all by the interpretation.

#2 - it's all moot anyway, because when Mike Carey said it would be a catch, Panthers fans should have known they were doomed. He is wrong ALL THE TIME. It truly is amazing how bad he is at his job. Anyone else would be fired for a comparable performance.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
It's a sad day to be a Panthers fan, but looking on the bright side, this team gained experience that will do nothing but make them better. They will be back. They have a great team, just faced one of, if not the best defense, which had experience on their side.

I'm just glad the MVP didn't go to Manning. I thought for sure he was going to get it when he did absolute crap. It was Denver's defense that won them that game.

Congrats to Denver. But Panthers will be back stronger than ever.

#KeepPounding

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
We have to make RT a priority. Remmers would be a good slot filler kind of player, but we need someone that can hold their own against pass rushers. I know Von Miller is a beast, but we can't have one position battle change the outcome of the game.

I'm curious to go back and watch what happened vs the Texans, Remmers seemed to hold his own against Watt iirc. Not sure if it was the lack of other pass rushing threats, so we could afford to help Remmers out on most plays, but something worked that game and definitely did not work last night. Hopefully Daryl Williams is up to the task, he looks like he'll be a beast in run blocking, but not sure how good he'll be in pass protection. But like you said, I'm not sure how that one position battle caused us so much trouble, there was no adjustment on protection and we didn't get Fozzy involved with screen passes to help fend off the pass rush. That and the lack of read option/designed runs for Cam.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

He had no drops the entire season. None.

I'm of the opinion that "drop" early in the game got to his head.

Going to be an interesting off-season. Highly doubt Cotch is coming back, he's going to be the odd man out with Benjamin coming back. Not sure about everyone else right now and I'm not sure who is going to be available that they should go after.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He had no drops the entire season. None.

I'm of the opinion that "drop" early in the game got to his head.

Going to be an interesting off-season. Highly doubt Cotch is coming back, he's going to be the odd man out with Benjamin coming back. Not sure about everyone else right now and I'm not sure who is going to be available that they should go after.

Ginn, Funchess, KB, and Brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad