OT: The Official 2013 WJC Thread

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You know what surprises me the most, the Slovaks and the Germans both have very, very good teams and don't look bad against Canada and Russia, who are benefiting from the lockout. To me, Germany played very well against Canada, it's just that Canada can score at will whenever they want.

The one thing that helps the Slovaks is that 16 of their guys are already playing together on some other team that was mentioned earlier. So while Russia, Canada, US teams have to develop chemistry, the Slovaks already have it. So it can lead to some earlier surprises until the bigger teams find their groove.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
HK 20 Orange, the team you have in mind, is basically our USNTDP.

Wish Gernat and Tvrdon were playing. Both out with injuries. It`s a big loss for us.

The Slovaks are playing amazing
Russians scored on the offside and benefited from our mistakes. Big thumbsup to the boys, when they played with more confidence, good things happened. Now they know they can play with anyone. Very good team effort and something to build on. Hope they continue with that against Canada. God help us. lol

Was great to watch Kucherov-Grigorenko-Slepyshev. Yakupov, not so much. Son, I`m disappoint.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Pietila is the only Devils prospect at the WJC this year right? Has he done anything noteworthy?

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
Pietila is the only Devils prospect at the WJC this year right? Has he done anything noteworthy?

Correct. USA's first game is tomorrow but he scored a goal in one of the exhibition games. He's being used on a checking line so I wouldn't expect much from him as far as stats go.

apice3*

Can't wait to tune in tomorrow. Hopefully we can redeem ourselves from a pitiful performance last year.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Tournament in Siberia this year meaning early starts. Get ready for this in the Olympics next year

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Tournament in Siberia this year meaning early starts. Get ready for this in the Olympics next year
Well, we experienced that three years ago. NHL fans were prepared, the general public was not.

Now it`s your turn. And yeah, IIHF should never do that again. These times are bad even for us, Europeans. It makes no sense, just as the lockout.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That and lots of tape delay.

NBC won't tape delay hockey (though they may re-air games to fill time in NBCSN), just as they didn't tape delay soccer and basketball this summer. That said they will get the schedule set so the US plays in the 9 am (or later) slot.

Now the rest of the games outside of hockey (and maybe curling) will be in tape and just streamed live.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Pietila gets his first point! Great effort to get the puck and pass it to Trouba. German goalie was screened so his hard wrist shot found the back of the net.

2-0 USA. Kuraly scored his first just 20 seconds into the game.

EDIT: and now it`s 3-0. Galchenyuk absolutely snipes one from behind the circles.

GM17*

Jones' decision making is going to need work. His movement is really good at least

Goes for the slap pass every time on PP. They're starting to read it.

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
The extra-point is good. 7-0, USA. I honestly thought they'd go for 2.

lol'd

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Turnovers, turnovers everywhere.

8 goals scored by 8 shooters by the Team USA.

Pietila got his 2nd assist on Hartman`s goal (draft eligible, played for the US U-18 team, plays for the Plymouth Whalers this year, almost on a PPG pace).

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I know I'm late but Matteau getting cut is no surprise to me. He's just wayyyyy too physical for a tournament that's refed under IIHF rules.

He needs to tone it down a little, even in NA, cause he looks "out of control" more often then not. I don't know if that's his true playing style or he just wants to "impress" by throwing his weight around.

Anyways, I'd like for him to improve his hockey skills (mostly his skating) and not try to destroy everyone in his path like it's his only objective, when on the ice.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know I'm late but Matteau getting cut is no surprise to me. He's just wayyyyy too physical for a tournament that's refed under IIHF rules.

He needs to tone it down a little, even in NA, cause he looks "out of control" more often then not. I don't know if that's his true playing style or he just wants to "impress" by throwing his weight around.

Anyways, I'd like for him to improve his hockey skills (mostly his skating) and not try to destroy everyone in his path like it's his only objective, when on the ice.

1. He's physical, sometimes crossing the line, which will happen a lot more in stricter IIHF (see his penalty minutes in Finland-USA game).
2. His skating is not good enough for Olympic sized ice.
3. At this stage in his development, he's too raw.
4. He wasn't going to get PP or PK time.

Add those all up and he's useless in a tournament like this. If he proves to be an effective PKer next year and his offensive game improves, he'll be a very valuable player. If he's not playing the PK, he's not of use to the USA team right.

kingkreizy

Dec 2, 2010
This Reway kid looks pretty good

and oh yeah Slovakia up 2-0 against Canada after the first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad