OT: The Official 2013 WJC Thread

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

My favorite Finn in 2011 and 2012. I was really surprised when Buffalo got him at #16.

He and RNH looked way too good for the rest of the competition. Too bad Barkov wasn't dressed for yesterday's game.

GM17*

Matteau got such a ********* 2 + 10 penalty. was a roughing at BEST. gloves/shoulder to chest/shoulder

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I fear Matteau might be the odd one out. Has played both games but hardly got any ice time and he isn't used in any special teams situations. Even though the call today was skeptical he still got 2+10 and that doesn't look too good.

Pietila seems to be doing good though.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya I'm not convinced he makes the team either. I'll try and watch the next one tho and hopefully see him make contributions.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Matteau got such a ********* 2 + 10 penalty. was a roughing at BEST. gloves/shoulder to chest/shoulder

I can see where the call was made, the Finnish player cocking his head back made it look bad. Unless they penalize for intent to hit the head, which is stupid but if they do, then it's understandable.

Otherwise, it's just a high hit, not illegal.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We want Matteau playing on the edge, but I'm not sure the US team does. International refs are quicker to make calls for rough stuff.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Matteau has been cut I think. Unless the guy in USA thread is wrong?

He's cut, along with Skjei. One more cut to make, depends on Murphy who might be injured.

Let's hope he goes on a tear when he goes back to the Armada and wants to prove them wrong, there's always next year though.

Last edited:

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
So they cut a Devil and a Ranger? Interesting. haha

Not surprising when you take his penalties/performances into account.

Hopefully Pietila will make us proud. He`s been great so far, even had the highest TOI among forwards iirc.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Someone said the rinks they're playing on are bigger than NHL rinks but smaller than the big international rinks, so it probably isn't that shocking that Matteau didn't make it this year. The bigger the rink gets the less valuable he becomes, I'm guessing.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I knew he'd get cut. he's a bust, package him with tedenby to nab jay bouwmeester

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Someone said the rinks they're playing on are bigger than NHL rinks but smaller than the big international rinks, so it probably isn't that shocking that Matteau didn't make it this year. The bigger the rink gets the less valuable he becomes, I'm guessing.

The actual WJC is going to be Olympic sized. The pre tournament games were on rinks in between both, if I am not mistaken.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think the overly aggressive play hurt him too. The US team doesn't want him hurting the team with stupid penalties. And international refs tend to let less rough stuff go than NA refs.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I have never seen a defenseman get coned in a hockey game more times than Jake McCabe at the Sabres Prospect Development camp I went to in July. I don't know if he was out of shape, or not trying because it was an exhibition game, or the fact that he's young, but....Jesus he was awful that day.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
1i4HGu-oK6o.jpg

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Canada is leading Germany 7-3 (lead 6-1, then Germany scored two off turnovers).

Nugent-Hopkins already has a goal and 4 assists. That first line has insane amount of skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad