The Oak View Group. The official Trouble Shooter of the NHL

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The NHL's not going to 34 teams. If anything it sticks with 32 teams once Seattle gets their team. Arizona probably moves to Houston and Quebec City gets any East team that needs to relocate.
This.

There's already enough teams fighting their way outta the red...Relocation is key.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Bet you didn't believe the NBA would pass the MLB but here we are. What has hockey done to diversify it's fanbase? And like @Atticus Finch said, 2 missing top ten markets. And more people like soccer now then hockey. If you don't believe they can get a better TV contract, you're out to lunch.

then why don't they currently have a better contract? Most people in the US don't even know there is a World Cup this year, let alone where it is. And I would like to see how your numbers showing more people like soccer than hockey in the US. The soccer myth really needs to stop.

As far as diversifying the fan base, isn't that the whole point of the non-traditional markets? That's the very definition of diversifying the fan base. It's going to China next pre-season. It sometimes starts its season in Europe.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
then why don't they currently have a better contract? Most people in the US don't even know there is a World Cup this year, let alone where it is. And I would like to see how your numbers showing more people like soccer than hockey in the US. The soccer myth really needs to stop.

As far as diversifying the fan base, isn't that the whole point of the non-traditional markets? That's the very definition of diversifying the fan base. It's going to China next pre-season. It sometimes starts its season in Europe.
Attracting more minorities to the sport. The NHL is lagging on this. And in the harris poll earlier this year for most favored sport. Soccer came in forth ahead of hockey. Most people know there is a world cup, more then the stanley cup final.

Reactions: powerstuck

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Who cares man, I think there should be a team there and so do other people. I'm not changing my opinion.

There are also people who think the earth is flat. That doesn't make the idea any less ridiculous. The only way the NHL goes back to Atlanta is if some apocalyptic event takes out about 10 current NHL cities along with about 10 others but the NHL decides to keep flieding 31 teams in order to serve as inspriation to the survivors.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There are also people who think the earth is flat. That doesn't make the idea any less ridiculous. The only way the NHL goes back to Atlanta is if some apocalyptic event takes out about 10 current NHL cities along with about 10 others but the NHL decides to keep flieding 31 teams in order to serve as inspriation to the survivors.
Great you don't agree. That's fine.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

A Gallup poll released last week found that 7% of Americans named soccer as their favorite sport to watch in a survey completed during December. While that may not sound like much, the figure represents a significant, three-percentage-point gain from just four years ago. Soccer is the only sport to post such a large increase. Football (37%, down from 39%), basketball (11%, down from 12%) and baseball (9%, down from 13%) all showed declining numbers. Hockey was at 4%, up from 3%.

SOURCE There was also a thread here on BOH.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
SOURCE There was also a thread here on BOH.

And yet, ask the average American to name a player or even a US team & I guarantee you you'll get a blank stare...

From the same article:

"Soccer faces some very real, existing barriers in America. Many older media gatekeepers remain resistant to the sport and are more likely to highlight baseball and hockey on their talk shows and news broadcasts. This snub can create a public perception that soccer is merely a minor, niche sport.
Perhaps most damaging, soccer is the only major sport in America that does not draw the very best athletes in the world to its own pro league – at least, not yet. The NFL, MLB, the NBA and the NHL feature the greatest teams, and players, on the globe. Yet as Toronto defeated Seattle in the recent Major League Soccer Cup, it might have been argued that the 103rd-best club in the world had just defeated the 128th-best – or something like that"

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
And yet, ask the average American to name a player or even a US team & I guarantee you you'll get a blank stare...

From the same article:

"Soccer faces some very real, existing barriers in America. Many older media gatekeepers remain resistant to the sport and are more likely to highlight baseball and hockey on their talk shows and news broadcasts. This snub can create a public perception that soccer is merely a minor, niche sport.
Perhaps most damaging, soccer is the only major sport in America that does not draw the very best athletes in the world to its own pro league – at least, not yet. The NFL, MLB, the NBA and the NHL feature the greatest teams, and players, on the globe. Yet as Toronto defeated Seattle in the recent Major League Soccer Cup, it might have been argued that the 103rd-best club in the world had just defeated the 128th-best – or something like that"
The sentence contains perception when talking about why broadcasters don't cover it as much. And many people can argue hockey is niche.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

From the same article:

I think that second point gets overlooked a lot when it comes to soccer in North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad