The Oak View Group. The official Trouble Shooter of the NHL

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
They are becoming a huge part of the business of hockey !!!! They deserve there own thread

So far they

1) Opened the door for Expansion into Seattle

2) Saved the NY Islanders

I am also very convinced the NHL will grow to 34 teams and then cap it in North America they will play a huge part in that by the following steps.

1) Arizona will move to Houston after the season next year. But the NHL will double back in 5-10 years and with the Suns not having the money to build a new arena and no government money from Arizona for a new Arena they could step in a build a downtown arena. with a expansion team back in Arizona . Arizona Road Runners anyone !!!

2) I do believe that Gary Bettman wants as his legacy to leave his post with more teams in Canada then when he left. I also feel that another team in Southern Ontario is a when not if? time frame 5-10 years. Oak View want very much to enter the Southern Ontario Market. I do believe Hamilton will have a new arena ( reno job like Seattle ) and in Turn a NHL Team... It becomes much more attractive and easier to do if the potential owner does not have to pay for a arena.

do not forget Liewike had a bad ending with MLSE so you know he would love to stick it to them

the process has started already!!!! so the Oak View Group could be why the Hamilton Tigers vs the Toronto Maple Leafs will really happen one day !!!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So you think there will be an actually group that will pay north of a billion (canadan) or Hamilton? There was no bid in 2015 expansion why would it suddenly change when the price is even higher way way way higher than 650m.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So you think there will be an actually group that will pay north of a billion (canadan) or Hamilton? There was no bid in 2015 expansion why would it suddenly change when the price is even higher way way way higher than 650m.

There was no bid from Seattle in 2015 either. This was also before OVG got involved and the big investors Bonderman/Bruckhiemer entered the picture

If OVG is involved in Hamilton following the same blueprint in Seattle, there's no reason the same can happen there.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There was no bid from Seattle in 2015 either. This was also before OVG got involved and the big investors Bonderman/Bruckhiemer entered the picture

If OVG is involved in Hamilton following the same blueprint in Seattle, there's no reason the same can happen there.

But we aren't talking about a 650m US dollar fee though. I'm talking way way more than that in terms of even a billion dollars more like 1.3 1.4b.

Just cause someone took care of the arena doesn't mean there is someone actually willing to pay over a billion in Canadian dollars for said team.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
But we aren't talking about a 650m US dollar fee though. I'm talking way way more than that in terms of even a billion dollars more like 1.3 1.4b.

Just cause someone took care of the arena doesn't mean there is someone actually willing to pay over a billion in Canadian dollars for said team.

At one time many here didn't think anyone in Seattle would pay 500 million plus arena costs, never mind 650 and yet it's happening.

Entry to Hamilton via a OVG rebuild comes down to willingness within the league to make it happen. If that's the case, I have no doubts a group (not a single person) will make it work

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I promise you this is about Oak View. I really could care less if Hamilton gets a team or not. I think after Seattle there should be no more expansion to be honest.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think a team in Atlanta much more important than a team in SoOnto. Toronto is not going to allow it and it does nothing to grow the game.

where is Atlanta suppose to play at? The hawks arena isn't able to house NHL games.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yes, there is no business case in building a second arena in greater Atlanta just for an NHL team. No one wants to be the next Glendale.

Swinging this back on topic, it makes sense for OVG to privately build in Seattle since they won't have a competing arena in the region. The suttle death of SoDo is a testement to that.

Also, makes sense for the Isles new building since a) it's New York and b) they have very busy arena at MSG so it makes sense for them in invest in a second venue.

Interesting thought by the OP of investing in a new building in downtown Phoenix after the Coyotes leave should that happen. Sometimes to fix something, it's best to tear it down first, start with an empty canvas. Long term plan a proper re-entry so prevent another disaster in the making.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I doubt its going to happen just for a hockey team.

Yes, there is no business case in building a second arena in greater Atlanta just for an NHL team. No one wants to be the next Glendale.

It doesn't need to be just for hockey but an NHL team would be the #1 tenant. Atlanta is a pretty big market and it's not unprecedented for a market like it to have more than one big arena.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Actually, the multi arena trend seems to be on a downward trend.

Detroit now has one major building instead of 2.

Dallas, Houston, Washington and Philadelphia are larger markets and only have 1.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has 2 because the metro has 2 'core' cities

Even in New York, once Belmont opens there will be 4 major arenas. At one time there was 5.

Heck, even in Toronto with a busy ACC, it doesn't make sense for a second building.

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018
The potential owner for Atlanta is this business entity Liberty Media Corporation.
They own the Atlanta Braves and the real estate project Home - Battery Atlanta which houses the new stadium.
Comcast also has a presence in the area.They own land nearby that the CEO has mentioned that they would like
to expand and use an entertainment hub(i.e arena) to anchor it.This is what Bettman was referring to when he was
asked about Atlanta's possible return to the NHL.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Building new sports facilities is a pretty common occurrence in Atlanta, a new hockey ready arena will happen fairly soon.

It doesn't need to be just for hockey but an NHL team would be the #1 tenant. Atlanta is a pretty big market and it's not unprecedented for a market like it to have more than one big arena.
This is a complete waste of resources. Taxpayers are not going to pay for another indoor arena.
Actually, the multi arena trend seems to be on a downward trend.

Detroit now has one major building instead of 2.

Dallas, Houston, Washington and Philadelphia are larger markets and only have 1.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has 2 because the metro has 2 'core' cities

Even in New York, once Belmont opens there will be 4 major arenas. At one time there was 5.

Heck, even in Toronto with a busy ACC, it doesn't make sense for a second building.
Yup.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Arena in Vegas was not taxpayer funded, so why not in Atlanta? Speaking of Vegas only a few short years people laughed at the idea of an NHL team there and now that team is going to the SC final.
This is not about hockey working in Atlanta, it can, but the arena. And no one has officially stepped forward because there's no market for it in Atlanta. I support hockey there but there is no second arena on the horizon.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This is a complete waste of resources. Taxpayers are not going to pay for another indoor arena.
Yup.

Nope......

Minneapolis and St Paul have 2 arenas because the arena in Minneapolis, which was there first, does not have enough $$ flowing through to be able to sustain 2 teams.
The Wolves run the place. Winnipeg 1.0 almost moved in there with them, but Burke/Gluckstern asked for something like a 20M/yr subsidy from the city for playing there, and the city turned them down (That's why they arrived in Phoenix on short notice). They needed the subsidy because the Wolves already had the non-sport income from the arena tied up.
In St Paul, there WAS an old arena...St Paul Civic Center. The Xcel Energy Center replaced it, with much more club seats and ways to make money besides ticket sales. And, that's what made the Wild viable.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Nope......

Minneapolis and St Paul have 2 arenas because the arena in Minneapolis, which was there first, does not have enough $$ flowing through to be able to sustain 2 teams.
The Wolves run the place. Winnipeg 1.0 almost moved in there with them, but Burke/Gluckstern asked for something like a 20M/yr subsidy from the city for playing there, and the city turned them down (That's why they arrived in Phoenix on short notice). They needed the subsidy because the Wolves already had the non-sport income from the arena tied up.
In St Paul, there WAS an old arena...St Paul Civic Center. The Xcel Energy Center replaced it, with much more club seats and ways to make money besides ticket sales. And, that's what made the Wild viable.
Were talking about atlanta, and sports economics has changed since then.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... with yet another Coyotes relocation prediction tossed in for good measure.

:help:

.... :laugh: I cannot imagine the NHL facilitating & enabling that particular franchise to be sold & moved to of all possible markets, Hamilton Ontario. Not after all they went through to stop Balsillies hostile relo attempt, having dealt with the Moyes BK, losing the civil suit, everything theyve said & done since, everything thats followed.

I'm not even sure how warm Jeremy Jacobs & Gary Bettman, the current regimes in Toronto & Buffalo might be towards the notion of Expansion to the Hammer or anywhere in S.O. for that matter but its my belief that if it does happen it would only be done by way of Expansion & the price tag, the Expansion Fee & Indemnification Requirements are going to be colossal.... mega. A Relo doesnt maximize profit for the stakeholders, for the 31 or 32 or however many number of teams.

The cost will likely be so much that I doubt if the 1st or even 2nd generation of owners will come close in their lifetimes to recouping what the Leagues going to deman... then when you also factor in the costs of a new building... and ya, I would expect both the municipal & provincial government to contribute to the costs of the construction of a new building contingent upon location, site. It would have to be modeled after, something similar to what Katz pulled off in Edmonton. Maybe the Hamilton waterfront area if not a full downtown revitalization type development.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Were talking about atlanta, and sports economics has changed since then.

Specifically, Mighty Goose said that Mpls/St Paul hs 2 arenas because it has 2 core cities. I'm merely stating the truth....that is NOT the reason.

As for Atlanta...Considering Phillips is now not hockey-friendly, and considering that the other cities that were mentioned as having only 1 arena were: Dallas, Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, and Houston.....

Just think about this:
Detroit: It is the NHL team which controls the arena. NBA with its national TV contract, can more easily afford to be a renter.
Dallas has a situation with joint control of the arena
Washington: Same entity owns both clubs
Philadelphia: Owned by the entity which owns the Flyers...See Detroit
Houston: No NHL team

Note that the NHL owners all have special rights. That seems to suggest to me, for Atlanta, that, if NHL comes there again, and the 2 sports share an arena, that the same ownership group who owns the Hawks will need to own the hockey team. In other words....hockey is not going to pay rent at Phillips. And, considering that the Hawks owners just finished a remodel that cut hockey out of Phillips, I see that as unlikely.

So, for Atlanta to get hockey, it seems you are looking for either a 2nd arena in which to play hockey, or for Phillips to run its course, and a new, replacement arena be built to accommodate both.

I see your point that economics has changed. The big thing now is an entertainment district with an arena in it. And, less public money seems to be being spent. Considering those changes, I find it LESS likely that hockey returns to Atlanta.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Specifically, Mighty Goose said that Mpls/St Paul hs 2 arenas because it has 2 core cities. I'm merely stating the truth....that is NOT the reason.

As for Atlanta...Considering Phillips is now not hockey-friendly, and considering that the other cities that were mentioned as having only 1 arena were: Dallas, Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, and Houston.....

Just think about this:
Detroit: It is the NHL team which controls the arena. NBA with its national TV contract, can more easily afford to be a renter.
Dallas has a situation with joint control of the arena
Washington: Same entity owns both clubs
Philadelphia: Owned by the entity which owns the Flyers...See Detroit
Houston: No NHL team

Note that the NHL owners all have special rights. That seems to suggest to me, for Atlanta, that, if NHL comes there again, and the 2 sports share an arena, that the same ownership group who owns the Hawks will need to own the hockey team. In other words....hockey is not going to pay rent at Phillips. And, considering that the Hawks owners just finished a remodel that cut hockey out of Phillips, I see that as unlikely.

So, for Atlanta to get hockey, it seems you are looking for either a 2nd arena in which to play hockey, or for Phillips to run its course, and a new, replacement arena be built to accommodate both.

I see your point that economics has changed. The big thing now is an entertainment district with an arena in it. And, less public money seems to be being spent. Considering those changes, I find it LESS likely that hockey returns to Atlanta.
Fair enough, but Phillips still has an ice plant (according to @nhlfan79) so the nhl shouldcontact tony ressler first to see if there is interest.

Last edited:

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
When you look at the top 10 TV markets Atlanta and Houston should be top priority over anywhere else. So sorry Toronto 2.0, Hamilton, QC, Waterloo (LOL) or whatever other nonsense, your time has passed. The NHL needs to solidify itself as a true major sports league or it will get passed by the MLS which would be f***ing disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad