News Article: The Numbers are In! Buff/Ladd/Trouba 152 Mill?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ladd 6 years for 34.5m. If he doesn't sign it, pack your bags.
Buff 6 years for 45m. If he doesn't sign it, pack your bags.
Ladd will still be a good player in 4-5 years and will probably be on the 3rd line. I would trade him if I could get a blue chip prospect and 1st or a 2LHD.
Buff's offensive ability will decline but I can see him becoming a punishing shut down D man for the last couple years of his contract.

We can try to replace Ladd in the free agency market this summer and although you can never replace Buff, Yandle is available this summer and he would help pick up the O that will be missed with Buff's departure.

Then, you have the 2-1st round draft picks and prospects/players you got back from dealing Buff and/or Ladd. Bundle them up with some prospects and get a 1LHD in here already...

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Does anyone know if it would be within the rules of the CBA to say to Ladd and Byfuglien, "given the situation with the standings, we're trading you for the betterment of the future of the franchise but we really want you back next year and will be pushing hard to sign you in free agency (wink, wink)"?

My dream scenario for a very quick finish to this build (as opposed to calling it a re-build), would be to get a 1st+ for each of Ladd and Buff, then get a top 5 pick this year, then potentially re-sign Ladd and Buff to reasonable deals in July. That would push our asset base over the top and give Chevy lots of assets to work with this summer and at the draft.

It's even conceivable, if they do want to be here long-term, that this would work for Ladd and Buff in that they could go for a cup run this year and then come back to an organization that is stronger than when they left it.

Pipedream, I know.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
If the player is property of another team they cannot say anything like that, it's considered tampering. But while the player is under contract, I do not know.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I don't know about the CBA rules regarding this, if any, but there would be absolutely no consideration/obligation on the players' part. Essentially, it would be a hollow, gratuitous promise between the team and player, so the player could do whatever benefits them best when it comes time to sign.

Edit: I also think that players wouldn't feel compelled to do this because they'd feel like a pawn.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Does anyone know if it would be within the rules of the CBA to say to Ladd and Byfuglien, "given the situation with the standings, we're trading you for the betterment of the future of the franchise but we really want you back next year and will be pushing hard to sign you in free agency (wink, wink)"?

My dream scenario for a very quick finish to this build (as opposed to calling it a re-build), would be to get a 1st+ for each of Ladd and Buff, then get a top 5 pick this year, then potentially re-sign Ladd and Buff to reasonable deals in July. That would push our asset base over the top and give Chevy lots of assets to work with this summer and at the draft.

It's even conceivable, if they do want to be here long-term, that this would work for Ladd and Buff in that they could go for a cup run this year and then come back to an organization that is stronger than when they left it.

Pipedream, I know.

I actually did this in Eastside Hockey Manager with Buff. Buff was making $5.2MM/yr, I was offering him $6MM/yr for 4 years, Buff refused and went to UFA status, after July 1 I signed Buff for $3.5MM/yr for 5 years. I win... :laugh: But, that's a game , not reality where emotions get in the way.

It's not against the rules to sign a player that you have lost to UFA, but I asked the question a while back and IIRC only 1 or 2 players ever have walked from their teams as UFAs and then signed back to their original teams without going somewhere else first. Again.... emotions.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I don't know about the CBA rules regarding this, if any, but there would be absolutely no consideration/obligation on the players' part. Essentially, it would be a hollow, gratuitous promise between the team and player, so the player could do whatever benefits them best when it comes time to sign.

Edit: I also think that players wouldn't feel compelled to do this because they'd feel like a pawn.

I hear you. That's certainly my concern as well. Obviously nothing could be put on paper so it would be a handshake agreement and neither side would have any obligation to follow through.

I go back and forth whether that's a conversation worth having or not. Even if Chevy really does intend to try to get them back, he would risk looking like a complete ********* if the situation changes and he ends up not following through on his stated intent.

Edit: The reason I brought this up was because I was thinking about it from the players perspective. If I were Buff and if I wanted to be here long-term, I would be fully on board with going for a playoff run with another team and making the team I want to be with long-term stronger going forward. Feels like a win-win if the Jets have no hope of making the playoffs this year. :dunno:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Pipedream, I know.

No it's not against the rules of the CBA to say you want to sign one of you're pending free agents come July 1. If you wait until after you trade them, then that would be tampering.

I can't think of any situation where that has happened before though. The closest that comes to mind was Tkachuck who was traded by the Blues to Atlanta at the deadline, then was re-acquired the following off-season before becoming a free agent and signed by the Blues.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Vermette is a recent example

An other example:

Keith Tkachuck 2006-07 came to this franchise (thrashers) for their only playoff run from the Blues and then went straight back to the blues as a free agent.

I'm sure the team can say that they would like to resign them before trading. I can't see any rule preventing that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I actually did this in Eastside Hockey Manager with Buff. Buff was making $5.2MM/yr, I was offering him $6MM/yr for 4 years, Buff refused and went to UFA status, after July 1 I signed Buff for $3.5MM/yr for 5 years. I win... :laugh: But, that's a game , not reality where emotions get in the way.

It's not against the rules to sign a player that you have lost to UFA, but I asked the question a while back and IIRC only 1 or 2 players ever have walked from their teams as UFAs and then signed back to their original teams without going somewhere else first. Again.... emotions.

this happened a couple years ago. I may have the names mixed up but i believe Nashville traded David Legwand or one of those older guys that had been with nashville forever to a contending team at the deadline.

When he hit ufa i'm pretty sure he signed back with Nashville on day one.

can't remember if it was Legwand or not but it was one of those guys that had been solid with them from the erly 2000's. This trade would have been around 09 i think...

EDIT: It may not have been nashville...it may not have happened at all. I was very certain that it had but i'm having alot of trouble finding evidence of who it would have been. Would have been somewhere between 08-10

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad