News Article: The Numbers are In! Buff/Ladd/Trouba 152 Mill?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The 152 million is misleading ... seriously playing a good defenceman like Buff and Trouba 6 to 7 million a year is a good deal for both sides. Now Ladd is a different story ... if he wants top 10 salary he has to produce like a top 10 winger which at this time he is not.

Also anyone who think Buff is not worth 6.8 million needs to give their head a shake ... he hits the FA ... he will be the first D man signed this summer and for more than 7 million too.

Debatable whether you want to put that price on Trouba right now and buy up those UFA years. Buff isn't so much about the money as the supposed term.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I would pay Trouba in a heartbeat $7 million for 8 years ... heck in 3 years all top 10 defencemen will be getting 9-10 million per season. Yes right now it might seem a lot but you have to look down the line which will be a steal paying Trouba $7 million in 2020.
As for Buff pick your poison ... more money for short term or less money for long term.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would pay Trouba in a heartbeat $7 million for 8 years ... heck in 3 years all top 10 defencemen will be getting 9-10 million per season. Yes right now it might seem a lot but you have to look down the line which will be a steal paying Trouba $7 million in 2020.
As for Buff pick your poison ... more money for short term or less money for long term.

More money short term. I'd be okay with $7-8 x 5 for Buff at this point as long as we trade Ladd. Buff and Trouba will be our top pairing for the next 5 years.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Seriously Buff is THIRD in scoring for defencemen ... and you don't want to re-sign.:help:
Every Stanley Cup winner has a good scoring defenceman.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Seriously Buff is THIRD in scoring for defencemen ... and you don't want to re-sign.:help:
Every Stanley Cup winner has a good scoring defenceman.

Buff has 21 points and that puts him in 10th not 3rd......
He is third in goals tho.
I wouldn't trade him though.
I'd sign him for 40 over 5.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
- Ladd is asking for $41m over 6 years - cap hit 6.8m per = "Trade me I hate it here, preferably somewhere warm"

- Buff asking for $55m over 8 - cap hit of 6.875 = "Trade me I hate it here,preferably somewhere warm"

- Trouba asking for $56 over 8 - cap hit of 7m per = "Trade me I hate it here,preferably somewhere warm"

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
- Ladd is asking for $41m over 6 years - cap hit 6.8m per = "Trade me I hate it here, preferably somewhere warm"

- Buff asking for $55m over 8 - cap hit of 6.875 = "Trade me I hate it here,preferably somewhere warm"

- Trouba asking for $56 over 8 - cap hit of 7m per = "Trade me I hate it here,preferably somewhere warm"

Because they all want long term contracts to stay here? Relatively reasonable opening asks from players. Where everything lands is what is important.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Because they all want long term contracts to stay here? Relatively reasonable opening asks from players. Where everything lands is what is important.

Agreed we don't know where it will land...... it might not land anywhere.

But when you are starting out your bargaining 30% high and maximum term you are asking for the world. Maybe that's normal in these situations but I wouldn't know I have never taken part in one.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

But when you are starting out your bargaining 30% high and maximum term you are asking for the world. Maybe that's normal in these situations but I wouldn't know I have never taken part in one.

Well, Trouba's agent has flatly denied the reported numbers. The only thing he'll say is that they're waiting til the offseason to begin talks.

Buff and Ladd have a lot of negotiating power - they're unsigned and headed to UFA.

Buff will be able to write his own ticket if he goes to UFA - he's worth $7M x 7 to someone. If that's the case, then asking $6.8M x 8 isn't outrageous at all.

Ladd's had a rough start to the year. He's outplayed his current contract and probably feels he deserves some retro pay. He's still asking too much, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd be surprised if he got $6M AAV as a UFA - though it depends on the rest of his season, the cap, who else is available and where the Canadian dollar is at.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The more i think about it...

Chances are it was another GM that leaked these numbers, not someone in our camp or the players' agents. Probably one that wants to sign Ladd and Buff lol

Maybe Chevy pissed off Snow?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The opening asking price seems relatively consistent with the rumoured starting points for a couple good comparables to Buff and Trouba. Apparently Gio started at 8 years X $9 M and Hamilton at $7+ M.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a hard time deciding what to do with Buff and Ladd. On one hand they could give the team decent value through there mid 30's ala Hossa and Sharp in Chicago. But there is substantial risk as well, just look at Anaheim, they locked up all of their aging core in Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler to crazy long term deals. Well Kesler is on pace of 30 points, Perry for 50 and Getzlaf for 55? Is this just poor year for all of them or is this the start of a steady decline. If it is Anaheim is sunk with committing over 20 million for the 3 of them.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
The opening asking price seems relatively consistent with the rumoured starting points for a couple good comparables to Buff and Trouba. Apparently Gio started at 8 years X $9 M and Hamilton at $7+ M.

Not sure if these numbers are accurate but.....

Top 3 D Scorers so far this year

Eric Karlson 6.5 AAS 37 Points
John Klingberg 4.25 AAS 28 Points 34 Games
Brent Burns 5.7 AAS 28 Pts AAS 33 Games

Elite defensemen seem to make 7+ ie Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, OE Larsen ect.

Is trouba a comparable to an elite D?

56 X 8 Is a huge commitment to a thus far average, maybe a bit above average D.

Personally I thought he has lost a step but I haven't been watching the games lately.

Should longer term = more $$$?

Definitely something I am not getting here.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The way Buff has been playing this season, he needs to be resigned. Price be damned. He is so far ahead of other defenseman we have and on a completely other level that it's not even funny.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if these numbers are accurate but.....

Top 3 D Scorers so far this year

Eric Karlson 6.5 AAS 37 Points
John Klingberg 4.25 AAS 28 Points 34 Games
Brent Burns 5.7 AAS 28 Pts AAS 33 Games

Elite defensemen seem to make 7+ ie Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, OE Larsen ect.

Is trouba a comparable to an elite D?

56 X 8 Is a huge commitment to a thus far average, maybe a bit above average D.

Personally I thought he has lost a step but I haven't been watching the games lately.

Should longer term = more $$$?

Definitely something I am not getting here.

Defining Trouba's value is not an easy task IMO. He has plateaued a bit, but there remains huge potential. He still could become that coveted true #1. Saying that he is already a legit 2nd pairing d-man and even those get paid well.

Doughty and Karlsson are only comparables in theory as both are much further along at the same age. But I see Trouba signing that length of contract but at a lower cap hit. Maybe 6 or 7 years at $5 - 5.5 M. You get paid well, but you have left the door open for the monster UFA contract at the height of your game in your late 20's. But if you level off the team isn't on the hook for some crazy amount.

When Karlsson's and Doughty's contracts expire expect them both to be easily $10+ M players. I'd love for us to be in the same boat with Trouba. In terms of Klingberg he really should get himself an agent :sarcasm:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The way Buff has been playing this season, he needs to be resigned. Price be damned. He is so far ahead of other defenseman we have and on a completely other level that it's not even funny.

Exactly, if we were to trade Buff, would everyone be happy with Myers and Trouba as our two top RHD? I'd much rather sign Buff for as long as 6 years. Put whatever you need with Myers and pick up Hamonic. Our d would be something like...

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Hamonic
Stuart Postma/Chiarot
Morrissey and Kostalek in the wings soon.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Exactly ... if Buff tries the FA ... he will get a lot more than he's asking.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011

A smart GM never pays for a contract year. Need to look at the full body of work. I'd pass on Buff, and leaning towards passing on Ladd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad