Speculation: The Next GM

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’m not too happy with the move. I feel like an Ottawa senators fan right now. At least we have Nico and jack. I like fitz but I have a sinking feeling it’s not going to be him.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Some names that interest me:

Mark Hunter
Fitzgerald
Hextall
Mike Futa?

McPhee would be okay I guess

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Fitzgerald. Yeah he was second in command but Shero was the one making the final decisions. There's a reason why he was sought out for other GM positions. Keep Marty second in command to possibly groom him for one day to take over.

I also know it's a long shot but I'd bring Lou back in a heart beat. If it's even possible.

Reactions: MichaelJ

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hopefully, ownership is next to go. They tore down our culture and have brought nothing to replace it.
:huh:

The previous owner was broke. The team was broke. Relocation was an option. The roster was old and bad. The prospect pipeline was a joke.

But you want to tell them, they are not invested? You should root for Ottawa. They have an owner, who has given his team a clear direction and culture.

Reactions: glenwo2

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Washington and Boston are two very good runned teams who also draft very well. Maybe some assistant of theirs. Verbeek who went with Yzerman to Detroit (if he wants to be a GM).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Would Marty be qualified enough to take on the role? At the very least I think he should be assistant GM. It might be too early for him to be GM
No, he's not qualified. People want him because of his name and who he was to the club as a player. It's a recipe for disaster if he is the GM.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
No, he's not qualified. People want him because of his name and who he was to the club as a player. It's a recipe for disaster if he is the GM.

We already resemble the Oilers a little too much. I'd rather not completely embrace it and only bring in former Devils now. The furthest I'd like to go down that road is bringing Stevens back to coach the defense, or maybe giving Madden a shot as an assistant. Beyond that please look for the best candidate. I don't care if they managed/coached in the NHL, AHL, or f***ing Brampton.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We already resemble the Oilers a little too much. I'd rather not completely embrace it and only bring in former Devils now. The furthest I'd like to go down that road is bringing Stevens back to coach the defense, or maybe giving Madden a shot as an assistant. Beyond that please look for the best candidate. I don't care if they managed/coached in the NHL, AHL, or ****ing Brampton.
Exactly, this fan base has such a gong show of a social media following where everyone is always yelling and screaming for former players to come back have some sort of glory days reunion. It's a dumb idea at best. At worst it sets the club back even more.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Exactly, this fan base has such a gong show of a social media following where everyone is always yelling and screaming for former players to come back have some sort of glory days reunion. It's a dumb idea at best. At worst it sets the club back even more.

The funny thing is many of them are the same ones who complained about Shero only hiring people he worked with before. Nepotism is apparently okay when they're former Devils, but bad when it's somebody else.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I'd prefer someone from outside to get a fresh set of eyes on the situation. Fitz might be great, but maybe he's too close to Shero's way of thinking that ownership wasn't on the same page with.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny thing is many of them are the same ones who complained about Shero only hiring people he worked with before. Nepotism is apparently okay when they're former Devils, but bad when it's somebody else.

Well the obvious difference being the former Devils won for us, the former Penguins have not. But yeah people were foolish to believe that Lou was the only GM who ever defaulted to his guys and people are foolish if they believe the next GM isn’t going to default to his guys too.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well the obvious difference being the former Devils won for us, the former Penguins have not. But yeah people were foolish to believe that Lou was the only GM who ever defaulted to his guys and people are foolish if they believe the next GM isn’t going to default to his guys too.
The former Devils haven't proven anything off of the ice though. I want someone qualified for this job not someone who played for them but now has little to no experience.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
So much goes into the AHL squad I don't even know how much you can ding Fitz for that. Sure it wasn't exactly a high priority but you could on some level claim that most of the guys Shero was drafting were either college guys or overseas guys that either haven't played in the AHL yet or can't go there like Boqvist.

Certainly fair to point out that most of their high picks, plus many of their intriguing prospects, haven't played in the AHL. Still hard to ignore the lack of progress from the guys that have, though. I know none of these are sure bets but who other than Blake Coleman can you point to as a truly successful developmental effort? Who of the current crop do you have any confidence in as a future impact NHLer? For my part I'd say Zetterlund and that's about it, though possible I am forgetting someone. Again, leaving aside the first overall picks and guys like Bratt who were essentially found money in the lottery.

Obviously doesn't all fall on Fitzgerald, but as AGM I would imagine he played a big role here. Either way, I prefer a totally fresh voice in the role. Make Marty the AGM if you want some continuity.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
anyone who is saying there is no progress is either intentionally dishonest with an agenda (like stirring the pot for the hell of it or they really hate shero) or they are just straight ignorant. having a prospect pool of potential nhl'ers and a young core of potential star players already on the roster is light years ahead of where the franchise was 5 years ago there is absolutely no arguing with that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Fitzgerald. Yeah he was second in command but Shero was the one making the final decisions. There's a reason why he was sought out for other GM positions. Keep Marty second in command to possibly groom him for one day to take over.

I also know it's a long shot but I'd bring Lou back in a heart beat. If it's even possible.

Nas has already proven here that just because someone was your mentor it doesn’t mean you’ll be a carbon copy of them. I’d like to see them give Fitz a real shot and potentially keep him. A new GM could do much more damage to the organization just because he wants ‘his’ stamp on things and ‘his’ guys.

Reactions: glenwo2

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Not if he wants Conte to come back with him.

Reactions: Kurt Cobain

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The former Devils haven't proven anything off of the ice though. I want someone qualified for this job not someone who played for them but now has little to no experience.

Stevens was pretty good here and in Minnesota. I’d be happy to have Elias at least working more with the forwards.

Marty though? That’s a roll of the dice I don’t think we can afford. Maybe his playing years and relationship with Lou taught him enough - build from the net out, have a competent forward group top to bottom, team cohesion, etc. But, he’s still his own man and will have his own ideas. I’d rather not take the chance we’re getting Edmonton when we’re hoping for Colorado.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Would Marty be qualified enough to take on the role? At the very least I think he should be assistant GM. It might be too early for him to be GM
No .. that would be such a stupid hire. Go get an experienced GM that knows how to put a winner together. Why do so many want the great players thrust into these positions they are not qualified for?

Reactions: Billdo

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
No .. that would be such a stupid hire. Go get an experienced GM that knows how to put a winner together. Why do so many want the great players thrust into these positions they are not qualified for?

because they don’t know anyone else.

Some candidates mentioned by The Athletic:

• Laurence Gilman
  • Mike Gillis
  • Bill Zito
  • Ron Hextall
  • Steve Greeley
  • Eric Tulsky
  • Tim Barnes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad