Speculation: The narrative in TOR has changed so quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Well, the whole Leafs organization failed. We were supposed to be a playoff team. Dubas said as much.

I'm sure there's lots of blame to go around.

The President/GM are responsible for almost everything of what we see on the ice though.

The popcorn vendors, not so much..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Though Point will need to be qualified at 9 million once his bridge is up and is arbitration eligible. In this situation they'd be able to add Pietro but likely wouldnt be able to keep him and Marner under contract beyond the scope of the bridge deal if they went that road with him

And in 2 years. When rielly is up and Petro is 33. How do we re sign him?

In 4 years when Petro is making 9. Kinda tough to sign Matty.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah, I'm the same man. It's rough.

I've been 100% correct, top to bottom, about literally EVERYTHING for half a decade... and because the team has been so horrible in that time, being "correct" comes across as being "negative".

I think many of the posters here think that the realists like us are routing against the team, and have just been lucky in our negativity. But they couldn't be further from the truth. I desperately want this team to win. The problem is that our management NEVER does the right thing, then honest people like me and you criticize them for it, the team DOES fail, and we're called "negative".

I wish so badly that I was sometimes just wrong. That these horrible management decisions just lucked into a successful team somehow. But that will likely never happen. I don't think people like us will ever be wrong about this team. Why? Because we're realists. We assess what is happening based on reality, and not based on delusional fandom. When management starts making GOOD decisions, we'll jump on board with the team, and they will likely succeed. But I will never lie to myself about what is happening.

Yeah, I only ever actively rooted against the team winning when we were in full blown tank mode.

And kind of sort of when it was beyond obvious that the team needed to fail to get rid of Nonis/Kessel/Phaneuf and get the draft rebuild underway.

I understand why there's backlash to the criticisms I level against the team and management but I think most people who aren't blinded by fandom can read what I write and assess it as an honest and unbiased assessment of the team, as it is.

Evidently I'm not the only disgruntled observer out there. :)

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Say the team does defy the odds and have major success next year - I sincerely doubt the "realists" will be very active around here.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm the same man. It's rough.

I've been 100% correct, top to bottom, about literally EVERYTHING for half a decade... and because the team has been so horrible in that time, being "correct" comes across as being "negative".

I think many of the posters here think that the realists like us are routing against the team, and have just been lucky in our negativity. But they couldn't be further from the truth. I desperately want this team to win. The problem is that our management NEVER does the right thing, then honest people like me and you criticize them for it, the team DOES fail, and we're called "negative".

I wish so badly that I was sometimes just wrong. That these horrible management decisions just lucked into a successful team somehow. But that will likely never happen. I don't think people like us will ever be wrong about this team. Why? Because we're realists. We assess what is happening based on reality, and not based on delusional fandom. When management starts making GOOD decisions, we'll jump on board with the team, and they will likely succeed. But I will never lie to myself about what is happening.
Not really. Also, many people don't think you are a realist. Whiner is a more apt moniker. What have you been right about even 10% of the time. Whatever it is, it is not posted on these boards.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Always willing to let the team prove me wrong.

Just like I was completely and totally wishing Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf would prove my assessments wrong and have a sniff of success.

Instead I was right and we tore it all down and rebuilt (as I wanted since about 2008)...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Always willing to let the team prove me wrong.

Just like I was completely and totally wishing Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf would prove my assessments wrong and have a sniff of success.
My memory could be clouded but you were a pretty big Kessel hater back in the day, hammering on the narrative "no team will ever win with Kessel". Could be misremembering things though.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
My memory could be clouded but you were a pretty big Kessel hater back in the day, hammering on the narrative "no team will ever win with Kessel". Could be misremembering things though.

A team lead by Kessel and Phaneuf was my stance.

I never said Kessel wouldn't be an excellent complimentary piece to a team.

This was always the debate back-when, and at the end of the day of course I was proven to be correct.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Say the team does defy the odds and have major success next year - I sincerely doubt the "realists" will be very active around here.
A true realist sees issues without bias. Good and bad.

So anyone who is claiming to be a realist and has nothing good to say - ever - is the furthest thing possible from a "realist". In fact the pro-Dubas group is far more "real" because they still can see good and bad.

Being a realist requires intelligence. That's the missing component from some.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What are you talking about? We'll be here cheering on the leafs and very happy to see a deep playoff run. The negativity and criticism comes from the REALITY of what's happened. If anything, most fans here should have learned by now how to manage their deluded expectations.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad