OT: The Music Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Have posted about this album before, but I enjoy it too damn much to just leave it to one post. As someone who enjoys 1980s nostalgia despite being born four years after the decade in question, Dawn FM represents the best album that The Weeknd has put out in my personal opinion, so here are some more songs from that album that I enjoy.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Just may be the best cover I've ever seen Metallica (or any other band) do. The look on Elton and Bernie's face was pure joy!

Just may be the best cover I've ever seen Metallica (or any other band) do. The look on Elton and Bernie's face was pure joy!

Amazing.....

My favorite Metallica cover is Whisky in the Jar at Castle Slane in Ireland....

FYI...James Hetfield has an Ace of Spades tattoo on one of his middle fingers....the ink used has Lemmy's ashes in it....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Amazing.....

My favorite Metallica cover is Whisky in the Jar at Castle Slane in Ireland....

FYI...James Hetfield has an Ace of Spades tattoo on one of his middle fingers....the ink used has Lemmy's ashes in it....

It's no secret that Metallica was influenced by Motorhead and the Ramones, so I'm not surprised. I was never a metal fan, but that band is more than metal, their influences and roots are far beyond pure metal.

Incidentally, I saw the Ramones live at the Ritz in NYC sometime around 1989. They had a giant video screen playing videos before the show started. The last two songs played before they took the stage? One by Metallica and Killed By Death by Motorhead.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
B-Sides are such an interesting proposition when it comes to music. You can either get a real hidden gem that should've been on the album that turns into a classic or you can get a dud which obviously deserved to be left on the cutting room floor. With Prince, he falls more into the former with his B-Sides than the latter. Which is why when his compilation album The Hits/The B-Sides came out, people who were craving new Prince songs got a lot of second look classics came to the surface with the B-Sides of the disc. Songs like Erotic City, Shockadelica, Power Fantastic, and Gotta Stop (Messin' About) are just some of the many examples of fresh Prince material that people can sink their teeth into and get relatively fresh songs from when one of the best pop artists of all time was in his prime. Do these songs rival Purple Rain? No, obviously not. But given that Prince's major hits have been played to death on mainstream radio and streaming services to where they lost what made them special, these songs are a refreshing pallet cleanser after listening to the major songs he released. Highly recommended as a compilation CD set based on the B-Sides disc alone.

Reactions: Blowfish

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's no secret that Metallica was influenced by Motorhead and the Ramones, so I'm not surprised. I was never a metal fan, but that band is more than metal, their influences and roots are far beyond pure metal.

Incidentally, I saw the Ramones live at the Ritz in NYC sometime around 1989. They had a giant video screen playing videos before the show started. The last two songs played before they took the stage? One by Metallica and Killed By Death by Motorhead.

No one asked but never a metal fan.

Many antecedents and many claims to as to who "really" gave us the genre.

You can make a case (yawn) for Sabbath, Zep and Deep Purple. I don't know enough about who came before, or concurrently, to assign bragging rights.

To me, metal is basically souped-up blues, elemental, loud, adolescent, kind of dumb.

There's a track called "Black Metal." I am not thinking about the band Venom (sic). It came out, I think, in the oughts.

I don't believe it was recorded by a metal band. I liked the chorus.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad