Brantley Gilbert
I've Been There Before

What's Left Of A Small Town

Bending The Rules And Breaking The Law

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
2006 seems like ten years ago to me and it is still surreal to stomach that Stone Sour's Come What(ever) May is now on the verge of becoming a twenty year old album and in the category of classic rock. Formed in Des Moines, Iowa by singer Corey Taylor of Slipknot fame and his teenage friend rhythm guitarist Josh Rand, the band got shelved when Taylor joined the aforementioned Nu-Metal act in 1997 to rapid financial success and acclaim. When the year 2000 rolled around, Taylor took his first band off the shelf and reformed it with Rand and some newer members than the original group, calling in fellow Slipknot guitarist John Root to play lead guitar, Shawn Economaki to play on bass, and initially Joel Ekman on drums for the first record. When it came time for the second, Ekman had to bow out due to schedule constraints relating to time with his family. So with the band in need of a man to hit the skins for the follow up, out came Ekman, in came former Soulfly drummer Ray Mayorga and he provides a nice bit of punch on the drums to the new sheen of polish that came with this record. When he isn't doing a terrible rendition of a death metal growl, Corey Taylor is a pretty good baritone singer that has rasp to his voice. Root and Rand work well off each other as a guitar duo everything considered, and Economaki does his job guiding the rhythm on bass. With punchy affairs like the 30/30-150 as well as Hell and Consequences complimenting songs like the famous radio rock single Through Glass, the album is pretty alright for a sophomore release even if the sound is a bit samey compared to other late 2000s rock bands. If there's anything on this I could do without on this album, it's the title track. Everyone and their mother felt obliged to put out an anti Bush administration song, regardless of quality, and it just reeks of contrived and generic nonsense. There are better songs critical of what was going on at the time written by more capable songwriters. This would've been better if it wasn't on the album.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Produced by Andre 3000 of Outkast fame in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, the rap supergroup Kids See Ghosts formed by Kanye West and Kid Cudi made one of the most unique rap albums of the past ten years in the eponymous album of the same name as the band. The contributions from West, Cudi, Andre 3000, as well as many guest stars such as famed producer Mike Dean and rappers like Pusha T and Yasiin Bey are all phenomenal. Putting all of the nonsense West had before and after this album, which are attached to his issues with bipolar disorder and other such mental health related problems, this album is a masterpiece and shows the diversity that West has and how he thinks out of the box when making music as a producer. The production and beats are tight as hell and both West and Cudi do well with their verses and flow. Even if you're not a fan of rap and hip hop or it's not your main genre of music to listen to such as myself, this album is a fantastic example of the genre and how it can be so much more than the box some people want to put it in. It may not be a genre that is your cup of tea and one of the artists attached to the project is not free of controversy, but I still recommend giving Kids See Ghosts a listen. It's so much different to the samey same sound of hip hop and rap in recent years.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad