OT: The Music Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Formed in 1978 in Northampton, England, the band Bauhaus was similar sound wise to many of their post-punk contemporaries like Joy Division, Talking Heads, and The Cure. However, they also formed a unique identity through experimentation that inadvertently led to the creation of what many people label as Gothic Rock. While their album In the Flat Field is typically considered the first gothic rock album and had put a stamp on goth culture as a whole, it was the band's first three singles that were released independently of their first album that show what the band was ushering in. These songs are Terror Couple Kill Colonel, Dark Entries, and the famous Bela Lugosi's Dead. Each of these songs, while rooted in the same sound as their other post-punk compatriots, Bauhaus deviates from the uptempo affair and goes for a darker, somewhat slower, and more brooding affair. Which I find all the more interesting because Bauhaus themselves state they were inspired by reggae and dub music from Jamaica, as well as Bossa nova from Brazil, when forming these three singles. Combining these styles with traditional punk, some affectations of 1960s rock bands like Velvet Revolver, and a love for British and American horror films, Bauhaus stumbled into creating a genre that would serve as inspiration to others to explore after the band eventually broke up in 1983,releasing four albums and other independent singles in the process.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
A band whose music I have recently stumbled upon and really want to spread to anyone who is looking for new rock acts in the 2020s, I highly recommend the band Mad Honey. An indie band from Oklahoma City that takes on a lot of dream-pop sound as well, they sound a bit like if Fleetwood Mac were inspired to be like Blue Oyster Cult and added synths. They certainly have some of the stereotypical indie rock band sound as well, so if you're not into that then I get it. That said, it's not overwhelming like it is with some indie acts.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
any bassists here?
tips for playing with a pick? I'm pretty much exclusively a finger-style guy but we've decided to cover a Ramones song and i can barely keep up and it doesn't really sound right using fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad