OT: The Movie & TV Thread

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is an odd show for me. On paper, I should love the show. Now I've tried watching it twice, couldn't get past the 2nd episode. Might just need to be in the right frame of mind or something.
It's funny, I gave up on Mad Men 3 years ago, early in season 2. Coming back to it now, I appreciated what it was trying to do more for some reason. I think a large part of it was reading recaps after watching the episodes to see what went over my head -- Andrew Johnston was fantastic at this

They lay the whole 60s thing on super thick in the first 5 or 6 episodes (I definitely rolled my eyes a lot during a few of those episodes) but it definitely gets better once they sit back and let the characters take the spotlight and leave the time period in the background. Seasons 4-7 are just excellent television.

It's definitely not a gratifying series to watch if you're looking for something plot-heavy or something with a main overarching story that encompasses a whole season. Echoing what many critics have said about it, it's basically a collection of 45-50 minute short stories spread across multiple years.

And it's not perfect. There are points where the shows drags its feet and takes itself super seriously but it's all worth it in the end. I've never seen anything quite like it on TV and I doubt I ever will again

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is an odd show for me. On paper, I should love the show. Now I've tried watching it twice, couldn't get past the 2nd episode. Might just need to be in the right frame of mind or something.
I'm the exact same way. First tried watching it like 8 years ago or something. Couldn't get into it. Figuring maybe it was an age thing, I tried last year. Still couldn't. Maybe it's just not for me.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I couldn't get past the first episode. Maybe I should try again too.

It felt like the worst possible stereotype of 50s/60s men ever.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Ok, the movie The Grey (Liam Neeson) also borrowed heavily from The Incredible Hulk Season 2 episode 16 and 17 (Mystery Man). Pretty crazy stuff. I'm loving this.

Frig. Looks like the original Friday the 13th (1980) borrowed from this episode too. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I also find John Hamm only mildly interesting. In a comedic role as in Bridesmaids he was funny for that bit part. Not sure that I care to see him in a leading role of toxic masculinity (which feels like the feminist perspective Mad Men was written in).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I also find John Hamm only mildly interesting. In a comedic role as in Bridesmaids he was funny for that bit part. Not sure that I care to see him in a leading role of toxic masculinity (which feels like the feminist perspective Mad Men was written in).
I liked him in Black Mirror.

I do not like him in skip the dishes commercials.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I haven't seen too many episodes of Black Mirror. Like 2 I guess. I don't remember him in it.

And those skip the dishes ads are cringe.
He was in the White Christmas episode, one of the best in the series IMO.

On that subject, I don't have the mental fortitude to binge that series. One or two episodes a month is plenty, more than that is exhausting.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
John Hamm is an interesting actor when he does serious roles. He's kinda grating in comedic and goofy roles like Bridesmaids and those Skipthedishes commercials IMO.

Black mirror is like over drinking then hangover in the same sitting at times. But I really am impressed with how well the concepts are hashed out and executed. Some of the philosophical discussions that can occur after watching those episodes is... kinda mind blowing.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
7 movies in February
  • Knives out. Maybe 3,5/5, enjoyable movie but in the end nothing special
  • Birds of Prey. Meh. Maybe 1,5/5. DC comics just can't do what Marvel does
  • A Hidden Life. 4/5, definitely recommended but only if you know what kind of movies Malick makes. Slow, focus on beautiful scenes and nature, music
  • 1917. 5/5, one of the best movies I've seen in a while
  • Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker.1/5. I only went to see this so I'd know how the story ends. Should have just read it from wikipedia.
  • Color out of Space 4,5/5, same as with A hidden life, definitely recommended if you know what you are getting. A classic Lovecraft story from Richard Stanley and producers of Mandy. Dunwich Horror is the next one to be filmed by Stanley. And you should go see Mandy as well
  • Parasite. 4/5. Good one, but I wouldnt say Oscar winning good. I understand the hype and awards though, maybe I just wasnt in the right mood when I went to see this.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
7 movies in February
  • A Hidden Life. 4/5, definitely recommended but only if you know what kind of movies Malick makes. Slow, focus on beautiful scenes and nature, music
  • Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker.1/5. I only went to see this so I'd know how the story ends. Should have just read it from wikipedia.
  • Color out of Space 4,5/5, same as with A hidden life, definitely recommended if you know what you are getting. A classic Lovecraft story from Richard Stanley and producers of Mandy. Dunwich Horror is the next one to be filmed by Stanley. And you should go see Mandy as well
  • Parasite. 4/5. Good one, but I wouldnt say Oscar winning good. I understand the hype and awards though, maybe I just wasnt in the right mood when I went to see this.
Good takes. I really want to watch Knives Out but I'm gonna have to wait for it to come to a streaming service. Same for 1917.

Rise of Skywalker was fine. I walked out of it feeling mostly satisfied, but I didn't go into it with particularly high hopes. Felt like it spent the first half trying to do way too much, and then the ending was like, okay, sure. Didn't really speak to me at all. I still maintain that TFA and Rogue One are the best of the modern saga.

Don't really have insight on the rest of them.
-----------------
I've watched 5 movies myself this month (could still find time to watch another but who knows)
  • Just Mercy - really incredible movie about institutionalized racism in the southern US. An important watch for anyone, I would think. Jamie Foxx absolutely kills it.
  • Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - another really interesting movie, this one about Ted Bundy. I appreciated about this was more of a documentary about the trials of Bundy as opposed to some slasher film. They could have gone that way but the legal drama was more enjoyable (at least to me). Pretty chilling stuff but hard to look away.
  • The Report - kind of slow moving at first but picks up toward the end. The story behind this movie is really interesting as it pertains to 9/11.
  • Burn After Reading - wish I liked this more honestly, but I just couldn't get into it. I know it's supposed to be a satirical look at the spy movie genre but it felt flimsy and I genuinely felt like I wasted 90 minutes watching it lol. Oh well.
  • Jojo Rabbit - best movie I've watched in a while. Lots of scenes that will make you laugh, contrasted by moments that will rip your heart apart. Does a great job of showing the ridiculousness of Nazi ideology while not making light of the damage it causes. Super film, highly recommend.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
  • Burn After Reading - wish I liked this more honestly, but I just couldn't get into it. I know it's supposed to be a satirical look at the spy movie genre but it felt flimsy and I genuinely felt like I wasted 90 minutes watching it lol. Oh well.
  • Jojo Rabbit - best movie I've watched in a while. Lots of scenes that will make you laugh, contrasted by moments that will rip your heart apart. Does a great job of showing the ridiculousness of Nazi ideology while not making light of the damage it causes. Super film, highly recommend.

Burn after reading is one of those movies that you like of you like the style of the director & writer. Coen brothers are one of my favourites, so I liked that one as well. A very Coen brothers like of movie.

Jojo rabbit is something I'm planning to see, maybe next weekend. Related to that, A hidden life is about Austrian farmer who refused to pledge loyalty to Hitler and join the army, and was court martialed. I would say a beautiful film in many ways, about the beauty of nature, simple life, religion, one's principles etc, but again if you dont know what kind of films Malick makes you might just end up spending 3 hours of your life and end up with "wtf just happened? no sorry, I mean nothing happened, why did I spent money on this". Hate it or love it

Reactions: Black Box

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If I hadn't seen the Rotten Tomatoes score for Knives Out, I think I would have liked it a lot more. It's a decent Sunday night watch though.

Daniel Craig's accent in it is... something :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Has anyone seen The Lighthouse?

Yes. Better than a really great movie, absolute masterpiece. But again, it's a black and white movie shot on film with around 4:3 aspect ratio to try to catch the feeling of late 1890's or something. If you liked The VVitch, you are gonna love this one

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Yes. Better than a really great movie, absolute masterpiece. But again, it's a black and white movie shot on film with around 4:3 aspect ratio to try to catch the feeling of late 1890's or something. If you liked The VVitch, you are gonna love this one

Interesting, definitely gonna check it out if I get the chance.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
This deserves a bump. I'm planning to see Dune this weekend, maybe that latest Marvel film as well, both in a movie theater. Bond will be release in two weeks or so.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
7 movies in February

February 2020 was good, March 2020 not so good. For some reason I dont think I saw a single film in theater

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I watched the Fast and the Furious the other day. I do not understand how there are 11 sequels.

Looking forward to NTTD and cautiously optimistic about Dune.

Will probably get around to watching Rise of Skywalker before Christmas, but after hearing so many bad things, it's not a priority.

I read the Dune series when I was 15 or so, I think, and was really impressed back then. Played a shit load of hours of Dune and DuneII with my Amiga. Villeneuve's version is apparently visually really great and follows the novel loyally, so there are the positives. Hopefully box office $ is enough so he can make the second part to close the story

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Dune was really good. It covered the first half of the book, and was pretty loyal to the book. Filming was really good, as well as the score. Slow paced, not some action filled scifi piece that it might have been with some other director and Hollywood bosses wanting to cash out with Dune name in a summer blockbuster.

They didn't explain too much of the details, which I liked but I wonder what it all looks like to someone who hasn't read the books. There were also lot's of things that seemed like a fan service only because they didn't really add anything to the plot, but I liked them. For example, Thufir Hawat was there in few scenes, but he or mentat's in general were really not explained.

This movie was really about Paul and Lady Jessica (and Chani). Most of the other characters had only few scenes, Gurney Halleck was in 3 maybe. I wonder how much Josh Brolin got paid for this. I can't be sure about this but it feels like half of the final trailer dialogue was not in the film :laugh:

Opening title says "Dune part 1", hopefully they get to make the second (and third?) part to finalize the story.

21,90€ for a ticket in a "fake IMAX" theater (local theater chain here doesn't want to pay too much licencing fees to IMAX so they have their own concept), thank god I dont have to pay these tickets myself.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Nobody here watches movies anymore because of Covid? Anyway, I have 24 tickets that are valid till August, and they are gonna remove all the restrictions here next week. Might go and see couple of movies this weekend already, but it's gonna be at least 1 movie every week for the next 6 months so that those tickets are not wasted.

Death on the Nile and Nightmare Alley seem interesting, The King's Man only because I want to start using those tickets I already have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad