The most interesting Playoffs in quite some time.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I can't remember a more interesting playoffs. Granted I've only been following the NHL for the past 15 years or so. Lots of storylines and crazy stuff going on. Love it, hate it? Depends on who you are going for I'm sure. I think this would great for a casual fan. Two must watch/do or die games tonight. Love it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Definitely since at least 2012. That first round was crazy competitive and every series was no holds barred with guys trying to take their opponents heads off and a ton of intense finishes.

Hawks-Yotes had all those crazy OT's. Joel Ward Game 7 OT winner in Boston. Flyers/Pens was like an Attitude Era Hell in a Cell Wrestlemania blood feud main event. Rangers were down 3-2 in Ottawa and come back to win in 7. Kings blowing out the PT Canucks and the Brown hit on Sedin. Devils beat the Panthers in 2OT Game 7. Just off the top of my head.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Definitely since at least 2012. That first round was crazy competitive and every series was no holds barred with guys trying to take their opponents heads off and a ton of intense finishes.

Hawks-Yotes had all those crazy OT's. Joel Ward Game 7 OT winner in Boston. Flyers/Pens was like an Attitude Era Hell in a Cell Wrestlemania blood feud main event. Rangers were down 3-2 in Ottawa and come back to win in 7. Kings blowing out the PT Canucks and the Brown hit on Sedin. Devils beat the Panthers in 2OT Game 7. Just off the top of my head.
2012 was fun but for 3 games in this is pretty great.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Because of all the parity in the league. In reality CBJ only finished 2 points behind the Leafs and are definitely not your average 8 seed.

Parity means mediocrity.

Turns out there are no great teams. Just a bunch of decent ones.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
I can't remember a more interesting playoffs. Granted I've only been following the NHL for the past 15 years or so. Lots of storylines and crazy stuff going on. Love it, hate it? Depends on who you are going for I'm sure. I think this would great for a casual fan. Two must watch/do or die games tonight. Love it.
Actually it's turning out to be quite boring and uncompetitive. CBJ/TB is boring as shit since TB has not shown up since after the first period of game 1. PIT/NYI has closer games but will be wrapped up in a game or two. Boring. CGY/COL boring since game 2 (uncompetitive). NSH/DAL is a snooze fest - I can't believe 5 goals was scored last night. STL/Win is compelling at least. BOS/TOR is boring since only 1 team shows up each game. Ditto for Was/Car. Ditto for SJ/VGK.
I find myself switching to other things (which I never do in round 1 of the playoffs).

Reactions: bukwas

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Actually it's turning out to be quite boring and uncompetitive. CBJ/TB is boring as **** since TB has not shown up since after the first period of game 1. PIT/NYI has closer games but will be wrapped up in a game or two. Boring. CGY/COL boring since game 2 (uncompetitive). NSH/DAL is a snooze fest - I can't believe 5 goals was scored last night. STL/Win is compelling at least. BOS/TOR is boring since only 1 team shows up each game. Ditto for Was/Car. Ditto for SJ/VGK.
I find myself switching to other things (which I never do in round 1 of the playoffs).
To each their own. I find the (possible) upsets fun.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A few suspensions already. I will call another 1 or 2 before the first round is done.

We know Don Cherry is having a blast.

Reactions: Mosby

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was getting a little tired of hockey at this time last week and didn't feel the same excitement for the matchups as I usually do, but the upsets in the first couple of days really woke me up. What the Jackets and Islanders are doing, especially, has really made the East a whole lot more interesting than it was predicted to be. The chippy play and suspensions have helped, as well.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
This season's playoffs are great so far to me. It's possible we could have CLB-TOR, NYI-WAS, NSH-WPG, COL-LVK in the 2nd round.

Is that crazy compared to last year and expectations or what? (Not saying it's certain or even likely, just that all of those brand new playoff series are reasonably possible using the leading teams for almost all of them).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sadly, because I am a Pens fan, I happen to agree with the original post. It is always interesting when your favorite team goes deep in the playoffs, but when they don't it is not always interesting to keep watching.

For me, it will be very interesting even if tomorrow morning my team is playing golf.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Sadly, because I am a Pens fan, I happen to agree with the original post. It is always interesting when your favorite team goes deep in the playoffs, but when they don't it is not always interesting to keep watching.

For me, it will be very interesting even if tomorrow morning my team is playing golf.

As a Leaf fan, people don't believe me, when I say things change.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
This year theres already been some epic games, too bad some of the calls from the refs have as usual put a bad taste in mouth.

Hope the epicness on ice keeps it up for the rest of the playoffs. :thumbu:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Upsets yes. Upsets in a sweep? No way... I am not tuning into the TB game unless they get a lead. I'm sure many feel the same.. (unless you live in CLB of course)

You don’t speak for anyone at all. As a fan of another team, I’ll be watching hoping Columbus bounces them quick to see an epic collapse. Everyone is different.

Last edited:

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
You don’t speak for anyone at all. As a fan of another team, I’ll be watching hoping Columbus bounces them quick to see an epic collapse. Everyone is different.
Lol did I say I spoke for everyone? Reading comprehension helps - I said many probably feel the same. Can you point to a paper that indicates statistically that no one would feel this way? Jesus check your pulse buddy...

Reactions: DrewGl

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Lol did I say I spoke for everyone? Reading comprehension helps - I said many probably feel the same. Can you point to a paper that indicates statistically that no one would feel this way? Jesus check your pulse buddy...

My pulse is fine. Never claimed to be a fan of either team. Problem is, you never mentioned “on paper” to begin with. On paper means nothing.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
My pulse is fine. Never claimed to be a fan of either team. Problem is, you never mentioned “on paper” to begin with. On paper means nothing.
I just find it odd on a message board that you would call me out saying I don’t speak for anyone. So mods can you please shut down this board since offering opinions apparently isn’t allowed and I will be accused of “speaking for people”???

Bottom line is “not everyone” would enjoy 4-0 sweeps in ANY series.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I just find it odd on a message board that you would call me out saying I don’t speak for anyone. So mods can you please shut down this board since offering opinions apparently isn’t allowed and I will be accused of “speaking for people”???

You made a post claiming to speak for a large group of people you don’t speak for. Why involve mods? You don’t represent anyone but yourself. A single opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: