The most contraversial move in NHL history?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
If I was going on the hype around here, I'd go with Clarke signing Kesler to an offer sheet, with DiPietro's 15 year deal being second. :sarcasm:

Seriously, from what I understand, the Richard thing was just huge at the time.

Randall Graves*

Does the lockout count?
I was mainly looking to keep it at front office/ownership/player movement type things cause the lockout is a pretty obvious answer.

On the Gretzky trade, was it expected he would be traded or did it come out of nowhere as a big shock?

GRuiz98

Jan 25, 2006
Agoura Hills
On the Gretzky trade, was it expected he would be traded or did it come out of nowhere as a big shock?

I could be wrong since i'm basing this answer on memories from when i was 6 years old, but i think it was a surprise. Peter Pocklington needed cash and called the Kings ownership and offered them Gretzky for some players and a substantial amount of $$$, hence why 15 million bucks was part of the deal. Canada lost an icon, but my fav. team got him :bow: :yo:

I was mainly looking to keep it at front office/ownership/player movement type things cause the lockout is a pretty obvious answer.

I think there had been rumors of a shake-up, but I don't think anyone gave much credence to them. It seemed too outlandish and illogical to be true.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
What's the story on Maurice Richard's suspension?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot

The Richard Riot (or the St. Catherine Street Riot as some would prefer to call it), was a riot that had occurred in 1955 in Montreal, Quebec. Maurice Richard, the star ice hockey player for the Montreal Canadiens, was suspended for a violent attack on a linesman and it provoked a riot at the Montreal Forum that spilled out into the streets. Some commentators have linked the Richard Riot in the 1950's with the birth of Quebec nationalism and the Quiet Revolution.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Remember this beauty:

Before the 1989 waiver draft, Philadelphia trades Pete Peeters and Keith Acton (both of whom they didn`t have room for on their protected list and likely would`ve lost) to Winnipeg for future considerations. Winnipeg puts both guys on their protected list and after the draft trades them back to Philly for a 5th round pick.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004

it came out of nowhere for the fans but Gretzky himself knew that he would be traded. THe part that most are chapped about, besides the trade itself was the fact that 15 mill didn't go back into the team

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
i am suprised no mention of this - the whole Shanahan - Stevens St Louis Blues fiasco as well as the Fedorov offer sheet

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Remember this beauty:

Before the 1989 waiver draft, Philadelphia trades Pete Peeters and Keith Acton (both of whom they didn`t have room for on their protected list and likely would`ve lost) to Winnipeg for future considerations. Winnipeg puts both guys on their protected list and after the draft trades them back to Philly for a 5th round pick.

***?? That's pretty nuts.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Two others involving great Bruins' defensemen:

Bobby Orr signing with Chicago was extremely controversial on so many levels. Not only in the immediate days but what transpired over time involving Eagleson. Raymond Bourque being traded, eventually to Colorado.

When the Flyers traded Bernie Parent to Toronto, and decided to keep Doug Favell, there were many irate Flyers' fans at the time.

Edit/Add: Darryl Sittler, feuding with Toronto management, demanded a trade and after a period of time it was granted and he joined the Flyers. http://hockeydraftcentral.com/1970/70008.html

Last edited:

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Remember this beauty:

Was this the reason the rule was created that says a player that is traded from one team back to the same team later in the season cannot play in that season? Or was the rule already in place?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Was this the reason the rule was created that says a player that is traded from one team back to the same team later in the season cannot play in that season? Or was the rule already in place?

This may help to explain it:

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1977/77135.html

The Phantom Trade: Peeters was traded by Philadelphia with Keith Acton to Winnipeg in exchange for future considerations on Sept. 28, 1989. Five days later, on Oct. 3, 1989, Winnipeg returned Peeters and Acton to Philadelphia in exchange for Toronto's 1991 fifth-round pick (Juha Ylonen) and an agreement to cancel the future considerations owed from a July 21, 1989, trade in which Winnipeg sent Shawn Cronin to Philadelphia. The Acton-Peeters deal was made to protect Philadelphia from losing either player in the 1989 NHL Waiver Draft. Neither Peeters nor Acton ever reported to Winnipeg during the five days between the two trades because Winnipeg general manager Mike Smith told them it wasn't necessary. At the time of the second trade, Winnipeg was given the option to take a 1990 sixth-round pick or 1991 fifth-round pick. The controversial trade prompted an investigation by the NHL, but Flyers general manager Bob Clarke argued that there was no prearranged deal in place. The trade was allowed to stand because the NHL was unable to prove that the first trade had included any plans for the second trade. However, both Philadelphia and Winnipeg were fined $10,000 for breaking a league rule that prevents teams from loaning players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad