The MLD 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL: Regina Capitals vs. Cornell Big Red

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Cornell lacks top-6 quality glue guys (Lebedev is bottom-6 level) and there's no depth of scoring on the Big Red. The goaltending, defense and Bottom-6 forwards ought to make games close.

Regina in 4 or 5 games (OT). Think Colorado vs. Florida '96.

Congrats seventieslord.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Cornell lacks top-6 quality glue guys (Lebedev is bottom-6 level) and there's no depth of scoring on the Big Red. The goaltending, defense and Bottom-6 forwards ought to make games close.

Congrats seventieslord.

The lack of depth scoring is what titled it in favor of Regina for me.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Worst. Final. Ever.
Seriously though, that sucked. Thanks to those who votes, and I guess it’s nice to win my first MLD but I wish the last couple of series were based on more than 5-6 votes, and of course I wish I actually got to have an interesting/challenging final series.
My congratulations go to VanIslander for a good team and a good run. I’d also like to congratulate Dreakmur, Rob Scuderi and BillyShoe, who had what I considered great teams. Dreakmur’s Cornell squad could have easily beaten mine in the semifinals, had we had a different sampling of voters.
Me posting the Marchand/Sedin gif was not for the reason many may have thought. It wasn’t because I felt I was dominating or manhandling my opponent. I felt like I was competing and he wasn’t, and he was leaving himself prone. Watching Sedin and Marchand, I didn’t know whether I should feel embarrassed for the guy who wasn’t competing or defending himself, or for the guy who was needling and attacking a guy not interested in combat. It was just…… awkward. And uncomfortable.
I know what it’s like to not have the stomach for a battle. I get that way too, particularly if my life is busy. I don’t even want to look at a thread where I know I’ll have an hour worth of reading and replying to do, and sometimes don’t look for days to avoid seeing what was said, getting it lodged in my brain, and dwelling on it while not having the time to get in there and “right†whatever “wrong†is going on in there. But when it comes to the ATD/MLD I have to put that aside, man up and compete. The competitive aspect of this process is healthy and it encourages us to keep researching, which will result in the best players rising up the ranks over time, like they deserve. And it’s what we all know we’re signing up for when we join. We have an important duty here. We’re the Night’s Watch of hfboards.
See you all in the AAA.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In the end (after an extension and reminder PM), I got 7 votes for this series. The semifinals had 6 votes (VI's win) and 8 votes (Regina's win) - different numbers because GMs couldn't vote on their own series and the one series had co-GMs.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I did commentary but sadly it didnt reflect the series outcome. I was a bit to specific I guess

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Well this got a little out of hand I see.

Congrats seventieslord.

Please don't do this again. seventies gave a fair comparison of what his opinion of his team was. It was hardly a "BillyShoe" where he claims every single spot on his team is better (not that I'm criticizing this method all the time. If this is your opinion and it's defensible to a general audience that's fine). It was something where he claimed EIGHT of nineteen spots on his team were stronger. That's hardly the kind of thing that should be frowned upon here, and I'm disappointed that this series ended the way that it did: in a pissing match where someone sarcastically gave up in a final.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I did commentary but sadly it didnt reflect the series outcome. I was a bit to specific I guess

Yeah, the only thing in your commentary I could have used was about the 2 goalies playing well. For some reason, you were the only one to vote Lala as one of the 3 stars (IMO, Lala is the best forward in this MLD, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people agree with that one).

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, the only thing in your commentary I could have used was about the 2 goalies playing well. For some reason, you were the only one to vote Lala as one of the 3 stars (IMO, Lala is the best forward in this MLD, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people agree with that one).

Maybe because ppl dont watch old international games? :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad