The MLD 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL: Regina Capitals vs. Cornell Big Red

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player. Sadly for Lebedev he simply wasn't big enough and was easily nullified in '76 when he faced NHL class opposition.

He would suit better as a fore-checking energy line type of player with big people.

PS. I'm sorry for doing some assassinations this late but I wasn't around too much when we were doing them.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Also I'm surprised by all this love for the old soviets and no one picked Viktor Zhluktov.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player. Sadly for Lebedev he simply wasn't big enough and was easily nullified in '76 when he faced NHL class opposition.

He would suit better as a fore-checking energy line type of player with big people.

PS. I'm sorry for doing some assassinations this late but I wasn't around too much when we were doing them.

Don't be sorry - the more discussion about players the better. IMO, that's the whole point of these things.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Don't be sorry - the more discussion about players the better. IMO, that's the whole point of these things.

Well, I agree but it feels bad doing it in the finals.

He's pretty high on my list going into the AAA.

Now, him, Droz and Yuri on a first line in AAA would've been something. Now Zhluktov actually has a good showing against the best in the world. It seems that soviets are extremely hard to compare to their NHL counterparts since Vikulov goes in the ATD and the gap between him, Tumba, Sterner and Lebedev (and some other euros) isn't that large as the picks suggests in my opinion.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player.
I agree in an ATD context. At the MLD I think him a fair MLD 2nd line glue guy. He belongs on a MLD 2nd line as much as a Keith Crowder belongs on a 1st line!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have put a lot of effort into constructing BIOS that are each in themself an argument for the greatness of the players.

Please don't criticize my level of effort.

G'day.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Should we not both engage in the exercise of comparing our teams so that the voters can make an informed decision? If you're not willing to do this, what are we to conclude? It can mean many things, of course, but one thing it may mean is that you don't think that your squad would benefit from a critical up and down analysis of each lineup. That is not a good sign...

I think you're being facetious when you say your bios should do all the talking for you. You don't really believe this. You fostered the creation of the playoff system yourself, complete with spirited debate!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Should we not both engage in the exercise of comparing our teams so that the voters can make an informed decision?
If you were objective and fair in your reflections on this series then voters are well informed. Besides, they are a smart bunch. They can make up their own minds.

If you're not willing to do this, what are we to conclude? It can mean many things, of course, but one thing it may mean is that you don't think that your squad would benefit from a critical up and down analysis of each lineup.
Do you at all think that the reason why I'm not arguing with you is that I see how superior your team is in every area, as you have detailed in your argument?

I think you're being facetious when you say your bios should do all the talking for you. You don't really believe this.
I never said that. My main point was not to criticize my level of effort because I put a lot into assembling bios that show the greatness of the players.

You fostered the creation of the playoff system yourself, complete with spirited debate!
Spirited? I appreciate when GMs compare lines and match-ups, imagining their own team's strengths and weaknesses when playing in a series. I like the comraderie, and RESPECT for the players and the GMs, of dialogue and appreciation of each other's line-up.

I do not like the oneupmanship bravado of trying to convince the gallery of how much better one's own is over another by putting down the other. Heck, even line-up assassinations have traditionally been reflective, balanced appreciations of line-ups, not a pick by pick demonstration of how much better one thinks oneself over another.

I don't want every little thing I say to be criticized and twisted against me. But alas, that is what I should expect with some GMs. I regret not having much time to converse with Rob Scuderi last round, as he was quite reasonable and respectful in his analyses. I thought the world of his St. Louis Eagles. It was a quality squad.

I don't have the stomach to battle an enemy, even if it's in mock form. I want to have friendly discussions of the history of the great game without egos or I'm-better-than-you kind of posturing. Some enjoy that, heck, politics is full of such types. Fine. But I don't roll like that.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I miss Hockey Outsider's "reasons why this team will win" paragraph followed by his "reasons why this team will lose" paragraph. That was an awesome way to reflect on a series!

Anyone is encouraged to participate in any series discussion.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If you were objective and fair in your reflections on this series then voters are well informed. Besides, they are a smart bunch. They can make up their own minds.

I was. I would expect that you would be as well. But if, as you imply, voters are just going to vote for whoever regardless of the debate, why are we doing this?

Do you at all think that the reason why I'm not arguing with you is that I see how superior your team is in every area, as you have detailed in your argument?

This just in - describing why your team has an advantage in EIGHT of NINETEEN starting spots now means that you think your team "is superior in every area"!

Nothing's open-and-shut. If you disagree so much with something I said, then you should explain why. "My bios are my arguments" is a lame way to conduct oneself in a finals series.

And considering we've had GMs here who've ACTUALLY gone and declared an advantage for themselves at every position up and down the lineup, I'm really surprised that NOW is the time you've chosen to apparently make some sort of a stand against comparative series debate.

I never said that. My main point was not to criticize my level of effort because I put a lot into assembling bios that show the greatness of the players.

OK, I won't criticize your efforts. Because it appears you're actually making an effort to not talk about the players in the series. You're doing a great job of that. I still question why, though.

Spirited? I appreciate when GMs compare lines and match-ups, imagining their own team's strengths and weaknesses when playing in a series. I like the comraderie, and RESPECT for the players and the GMs, of dialogue and appreciation of each other's line-up.

This series started like any other series between any two GMs sharing mutual respect. There was nothing in my opening volley that signified a lack of camaraderie, respect, or appreciation, and I'm pretty sure I've been very vocal in my desire for dialogue.

I do not like the oneupmanship bravado of trying to convince the gallery of how much better one's own is over another by putting down the other. Heck, even line-up assassinations have traditionally been reflective, balanced appreciations of line-ups, not a pick by pick demonstration of how much better one thinks oneself over another.

Describing the advantages one's lineup has is "oneupsmanship" now?

I don't want every little thing I say to be criticized and twisted against me. But alas, that is what I should expect with some GMs. I regret not having much time to converse with Rob Scuderi last round, as he was quite reasonable and respectful in his analyses. I thought the world of his St. Louis Eagles. It was a quality squad.

I agree Rob Scuderi is a great GM.

Do you expect every person to debate exactly the same?

I don't have the stomach to battle an enemy, even if it's in mock form. I want to have friendly discussions of the history of the great game without egos or I'm-better-than-you kind of posturing. Some enjoy that, heck, politics is full of such types. Fine. But I don't roll like that.

That's not my problem that you took a run of the mill series debate as "ego" or "I'm-better-than-you" posturing. There is no such attitude in my posts.

I'm genuinely disappointed that you've robbed me of the chance to have a real MLD final.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
SedinPunch_Final.gif

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm genuinely disappointed that you've robbed me of the chance to have a real MLD final.
Seriously?

There was nothing in my opening volley that signified a lack of camaraderie, respect, or appreciation,...
Other than your blow by blow account of how in EVERY respect your team is better or equivalent to mine. There was not even one (not one) respect in which you saw my team as having any advantage.

As I said at the time, by your analysis it will be a four game sweep. If you truly believe what you wrote then there is no need for conversation. Your team is simply too good in every respect. Even your goaltending is better, as you present it, contrary to opinions around here, as you put it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How does this follow:

Seriously?

Other than your blow by blow account of how in EVERY respect your team is better or equivalent to mine. There was not even one (not one) respect in which you saw my team as having any advantage.

As I said at the time, by your analysis it will be a four game sweep. If you truly believe what you wrote then there is no need for conversation. Your team is simply too good in every respect. Even your goaltending is better, as you present it, contrary to opinions around here, as you put it.

From this:

Goalies: I know Crozier has become an MLD sacred cow here in recent weeks, but Peeters has a practically identical resume and, in some ways, even better.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
For what it's worth, I had Seth Martin as the #1 goalie, Crozier as #2, and Peeters as #3 in this draft, with the rest of the starters kind of jumbling together.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00