The MLD 2012 Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Five reasons why it's good to keep ATD bio threads for ATD picks and MLD bio threads for MLD bios:

1. It's good not to mix different drafts together because it can be confusing, especially if anyone decides to do a bio of a player from ATD 2012 this summer or fall just because they feel like it (there are a couple I was thinking of). As a future resource to go from ATD guy to MLD guy to ATD guy is not ideal.

2. It can get pretty absurd if we have marginal MLD, AAA and even AA bios of clearly not all-time greats put together with the drafted all-time greats from the ATD on the ATD bio thread.

3. We have in the past had ATD bio threads and MLD bio threads, even a AAA bio thread. They each can be linked for future reference. It's a developing tradition.

4. It would be nice to access only MLD bios during the MLD when reflecting on team squads.

5. It's easier to just delete the one MLD bio on the ATD thread than it is to move two MLD bios onto the ATD bio thread and then delete the MLD bio thread.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
5. It's easier to just delete the one MLD bio on the ATD thread than it is to move two MLD bios onto the ATD bio thread and then delete the MLD bio thread.Q

Please don't let this be a concern. I can move bios from one thread to another in approximately 20 seconds on a computer, probably 60 seconds on my phone.

#1 and #2 athe probably the best reason to keep the threads separate.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Relevant to mods, the op states the purpose of the thread (ATD 2012 bios) and provides links to MLD and AAA bio threads, clearly showing that there is another place for MLD bios. They don't belong on the ATD bio thread. Of course, we could change the op post, change the thread title to combined ATD/MLD/AAA/AA/A bios and just have them all together.

I thought the reason #4 would be of some strength too. It would be nice to look at MLD bios only when reflecting on MLD teams during the MLD.

Reason #6: We have worked darn hard over the years to establish the MLD as an independent stand-alone draft rather than just as a TAG ON at the end of the ATD as it used to be! Let's not do anything that goes backwards.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Relevant to mods, the op states the purpose of the thread (ATD 2012 bios) and provides links to MLD and AAA bio threads, clearly showing that there is another place for MLD bios. They don't belong on the ATD bio thread. Of course, we could change the op post, change the thread title to combined ATD/MLD/AAA/AA/A bios and just have them all together.

I thought the reason #4 would be of some strength too. It would be nice to look at MLD bios only when reflecting on MLD teams during the MLD.

Reason #6: We have worked darn hard over the years to establish the MLD as an independent stand-alone draft rather than just as a TAG ON at the end of the ATD as it used to be! Let's not do anything that goes backwards.

Yeah, I mean personally I don't see much of a reasoning to combine them. We have the Master Thread stickied at the top of the page for a reason.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Combining the threads just makes it harder to find individual players. If a Mod or the original topic starter put the name of the player and a link to his individual post in the first post of each bio thread it would be so much easier to find individual players. That would be a useful, professional bio thread to be proud of.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1. It's good not to mix different drafts together because it can be confusing, especially if anyone decides to do a bio of a player from ATD 2012 this summer or fall just because they feel like it (there are a couple I was thinking of). As a future resource to go from ATD guy to MLD guy to ATD guy is not ideal.

You aren't talking about the 15 bios I added from my Leaf Chat ATD, are you? :laugh:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Garnish selects Centre, Billy Taylor.

Billytaylor.jpg

Some facts on Taylor:

- 267 Points in 323 career NHL Games
-NHL Record Holder for assists in 1 game with 7
- 4 Top 10 finishes in Assists, 3 Top 10 finishes in Points

For more on Taylor click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14508

He was my first choice if we were picking centres. Lester Patrick compared him to Frank Boucher and Duke Keats in the way he could carry the puck up ice.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What is the criteria for selecting coaches? Thank you.

Same as the players. You can select any coach who has not yet been selected.

How good that coach is in the greater scheme of things is completely subjective. As long as you can back up his greatness in some way, you'll do fine. Some people count Stanley Cup, some look at wins and losses, some look at longevity, and others look at inovations.

Another factor to take into account would be the style of play a coach likes to use. As an example, you wouldn't want to put a trapping coach in charge of a team loaded with offensive talents. It's unlikely that we all agree on who the best coaches are, especially now that we're in the 40s, so this might be one of the more important factors.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Same as the players. You can select any coach who has not yet been selected.

How good that coach is in the greater scheme of things is completely subjective. As long as you can back up his greatness in some way, you'll do fine. Some people count Stanley Cup, some look at wins and losses, some look at longevity, and others look at inovations.

Another factor to take into account would be the style of play a coach likes to use. As an example, you wouldn't want to put a trapping coach in charge of a team loaded with offensive talents. It's unlikely that we all agree on who the best coaches are, especially now that we're in the 40s, so this might be one of the more important factors.

Right. I never even think about drafting a coach until I know what kind of team I'll have (offensive/defensive/balanced). Very few coaches around like Toe Blake who won with both a fire wagon and a defensive minded team, and they tend to be long gone by the time the MLD starts

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Nice pick, guys. I'm not sure quite what to make of the photo in that bio... :laugh:

Question: when constructing a bio, are we including negatives as well, or are we selling our player? I don't have a specific example because I haven't started, but say Player X gets called lazy in a news article. Does that go into the bio?

Just saw this.

I can't speak for other GMs, but I tend to take the flowery quotes in a bio more seriously if they are put in the context of also mentioning a player's weakness.

If I see a bio that is just flowery quote after flowery quote, I tend to roll my eyes and stop reading

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Just saw this.

I can't speak for other GMs, but I tend to take the flowery quotes in a bio more seriously if they are put in the context of also mentioning a player's weakness.

If I see a bio that is just flowery quote after flowery quote, I tend to roll my eyes and stop reading

I usually try and do away with any flaws in my bios, because usually everyone here knows the flaws players have, especially if it isn't included in the bio itself. (i.e. there is nothing on Dave Burrows's offensive ability, his stats depict mediocrity but nothing suggests he was above average offensively at any point in his career) so if you include everything positive you can in a bio, it saves you the trouble of adding negatives because in my opinion I can see flaws in players if they aren't included in an illustrious biography. I also do research myself on the player to see whether or not the flaw is factual.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Coached

Right. I never even think about drafting a coach until I know what kind of team I'll have (offensive/defensive/balanced). Very few coaches around like Toe Blake who won with both a fire wagon and a defensive minded team, and they tend to be long gone by the time the MLD starts

Look at the issue from the standpoint of coaches who successfully coached both or multiple styles without the same level of ultimate success. There are gems available.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
With pick #10 the Pittsburgh Hornets select:

Gordon Allan "Phat" Wilson, D

7272675_1048081729.jpg

Hockey Hall of Fame Member
3x Thunder Bay Senior Hockey League Scoring Champion
3x Allan Cup Champion
4x Allan Cup Finalist
18G, 12A in 50 career MHL Senior League Games
19G, 15A in 37 career MTBHL Games
72G, 35A in 142 career TBSHL Games

Click for BillyShoe1721's excellent MLD 2011 biography of the Phat-man

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Winnipeg Monarchs picks Billy Reay, C

Reay_Billy_1.jpg
Nice. I just picked up the Hawks 75th Anniversary book used on Amazon for $15 and Billy and Jim Belushi both wrote intros. I have some Hawks classic games dvds on the way that include players such as Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glenn Hall, Denis Savard, and Tony Amonte that I'm really looking forward to watching. :)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
With pick #10 the Pittsburgh Hornets select:

Gordon Allan "Phat" Wilson, D

7272675_1048081729.jpg

Hockey Hall of Fame Member
3x Thunder Bay Senior Hockey League Scoring Champion
3x Allan Cup Champion
4x Allan Cup Finalist
18G, 12A in 50 career MHL Senior League Games
19G, 15A in 37 career MTBHL Games
72G, 35A in 142 career TBSHL Games

Click for BillyShoe1721's excellent MLD 2011 biography of the Phat-man

He was "Phat" before phat was cool!

Good pick.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Erik Karlsson

The Montreal Orfuns would like to thank the 2012 MLD for accepting them into the group.

The Orfuns face many challenges being an expansion team, foremost playing out of a number of Montreal Arenas - the Bell Cenre, the Forum, the Maurice Richard Arena, which has internation dimensions and a variety of Montreal Rinks that are below regulation NHL size.
If you want to play us outdoors we'll see if frozen Beaver Lake is available.

The Orfuns are proud to choose their first adopted player - from Sweden via HC Frolunda and the Ottawa Senators, Erik Karlsson.

Erik is barely eligible for the draft but has won the Norris Trophy, great skater, offensive leader with the hockey smarts to grow defensively and a physique that will allow him to mature physically.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/karlser01.html

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
The Montreal Orfuns would like to thank the 2012 MLD for accepting them into the group.

The Orfuns face many challenges being an expansion team, foremost playing out of a number of Montreal Arenas - the Bell Cenre, the Forum, the Maurice Richard Arena, which has internation dimensions and a variety of Montreal Rinks that are below regulation NHL size.

The Orfuns are proud to choose their first adopted player - from Sweden via HC Frolunda and the Ottawa Senators, Erik Karlsson.

Erik is barely eligible for the draft but has won the Norris Trophy, great skater, offensive leader with the hockey smarts to grow defensively and a physique that will allow him to mature physically.

This is going to be interesting....

Did I count right that he's at exactly 300 career professional games haha?

My assumption is that everyone, myself included, will probably consider him the biggest defensive liability in the draft. But his offensive game is certainly incredible of this level. I do think there is another active defenseman available that is better at least, but interesting choice to start off your team.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Almost certainly has the highest peak of any player that will be selected here, and will also have the least longevity. Hopefully, you can dig up some information about his non-NHL career.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Just as a heads up whenever VanI gets back on and makes his selection, I still have to speak with BBS about this upcoming pick. I'll for sure be around all night to make our selection, but don't be surprised if it doesn't come right after VanI makes his selection.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Almost certainly has the highest peak of any player that will be selected here, and will also have the least longevity. Hopefully, you can dig up some information about his non-NHL career.

He has no career outside of the NHL. Great in the juniors in sweden and WJC. That is all.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
If you consider one single season a "peak."

Tend to agree here. I definitely think there were better selections out there, but just like someone that builds a team around Coffey in the ATD, I'm kind of excited to see a team built around Karlsson here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad