The MLD 2012 Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
First, Medicine Hat would like to congratulate The Inglewood Jacks for winning the 2012 ATD. With the second pick in the 2012 MLD, the Medicine Hat Tricks are proud to select:

From the Florida Panthers, defenseman Brian Campbell - hard to go too terribly far without a big-minute, #1, puck-moving defenseman. And I'd wager that this will be his last selection in the MLD.

Brian+Campbell+Florida+Panthers+v+New+York+ke5mTzSsPZzl.jpg

Brian Campbell, D

2012 Lady Byng Trophy (first defenseman to win the award since Red Kelly in 1954)
2nd Team All-Star (2008)

Norris voting record: 5th, 7th, 10th
All-Star Team voting: 4th, 7th, 9th, 16th
Frequent quality looks at the Lady Byng despite being in a non-traditional position to win the award.
Played in NHL All-Star Game: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012
2010 Stanley Cup Champion

NHL Time on Ice, Average TOI, ES TOI, ES ATOI leader in 2012. Led all d-men in PP TOI in 2012 also.

League-wide: 16th in ES ATOI in 2011, 4th in ES ATOI in 2010, 14th in ATOI in 2008, 16th in ES ATOI in 2008.

10th in the league in total ice time since 2008. He's 6th in points among defensemen since 2005-06 (of that same sample, all of the top-12 were selected in the ATD except for Campbell and XXXXX XXXXXXX).

Top-10 Defensive point finishes since 2008: 2nd, 3rd, 10th

11th among d-men in plus/minus since 2006 (+64).

The smooth-skating Brian Campbell has exploded in terms of prominence and offensive production since the lockout. An excellent skater, Campbell makes a terrific breakout pass and is also a noted puck rusher. He eats an enormous amount of minutes and is extremely reliable. He's played in 82 games (or more) games since the lockout 4 times and 79 games in another season. He once played in 388 consecutive contests. A power play quarterback and excellent puck distributor. Campbell can also play on the penalty kill, though largely on the 2nd unit. More of an offensive defenseman, but has evolved defensively with maturity.

He has consistently gone deep into the playoffs. He's played in 97 playoff games since the lockout (most among all d-men over that stretch...including Nicklas Lidstrom). Only twice has he been bounced in the first round since '06, including being on the wrong end of a double-OT game 7 loss to the eventual Eastern Conference champs in New Jersey in 2012. He won the Stanley Cup in 2010 with Chicago, assisting on the Cup clinching goal and led the playoffs in plus/minus at +11. Campbell had a remarkable junior career with Ottawa going to the Memorial Cup once and taking home many awards including CHL Player of the Year. He was named a First Team All-Star at the 1999 World Junior Championships for Canada.

Campbell is well known as a gentlemanly and sportsmanlike player since his youth. He routinely receives votes for the Lady Byng Trophy and finally won in 2012. He logged the most minutes in the league and was assessed only six penalty minutes all season (!) and one-third of those penalty minutes came from a delay of game penalty. Upon receiving award, Campbell became the first Florida Panther to receive an award that was voted upon by the media or general managers.

Buffalo News said:
For the last three seasons, defenseman Brian Campbell has certainly been one of the leaders in the Buffalo Sabres' dressing room...

Dan Rosen said:
Campbell, who is one of the best defensemen in the NHL, a two-time All-Star... || Campbell brings his elite skills, including his super speed and ability as a power-play quarterback, to the Sharks, a team that desperately needed a "pick-me-up" in their bid to become a major contender in the Western Conference. || Campbell's ability as a puck-rushing defenseman should also soften the typically aggressive forecheck teams have played against the Sharks.

Sharks GM Doug Wilson said:
I think he's one of the top puck-moving defenseman in the game. We think he'll fit in tremendous for our hockey team. He'll certainly improve our power play and our puck possession game. He's a world class skater. He can move the puck. He can play defense. He's a multidimensional player, and he's had success. He's the type of guy that will fit into the dressing room here

James Patrick said:
He's as good of a momentum skater as there is in the League. As a guy who can be skating backward with the puck, pivot and go forward he carries that momentum incredibly. To wind up and go behind the net, he just comes out flying.

Not known as an overtly physical player...Brian Campbell once scrambled R.J. Umberger's eggs in the playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Campbell's stellar 2011-12 season is enough to bump him up to being a legit bottom pairing puck mover in the main draft. Great pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
With the 3rd overall pick, the Yarmouth Mariners select Defenseman Tomas Kaberle

132003112-copy.jpg

5 top 10 finishes in dman scoring 5,9,9,9,10
560 points in 974 career Regular Season games
39 points in 102 career Playoff games
8 points in 17 career Olympic games

bio to come

IIRC this is the first time that Kaberle has been picked below the 800th pick mark

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With the 3rd overall pick, the Yarmouth Mariners select Defenseman Tomas Kaberle

kaberle.jpg

bio to come

IIRC this is the first time that Kaberle has been picked below the 800th pick mark

That's because Leaf Lander, for once, didn't take him.

Too bad... that defense corps could have used him! :laugh:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

kaberle.jpg

bio to come

He's always gone in the main draft as far as I remember, but he probably shouldn't have.

He's a good pick right now though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's because Leaf Lander, for once, didn't take him.

Too bad... that defense corps could have used him! :laugh:

I lol'd

seriously though, Kaberle's a pretty good dman here I would think. Very effective PP defenseman on top of some good overall points finishes. Definitely going to have to find a good partner for him though as he's not exactly the toughest customer around. IIRC he finished first the season after the lockout in PP points by dmen.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I lol'd

seriously though, Kaberle's a pretty good dman here I would think. Very effective PP defenseman on top of some good overall points finishes. Definitely going to have to find a good partner for him though as he's not exactly the toughest customer around. IIRC he finished first the season after the lockout in PP points by dmen.

not first, but high. And I think you're thinking of 2007.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
With the 4th overall pick in the 2012 MLD, the Raleigh Icecaps are proud to select, from the New York Islanders

4 time Stanley Cup Champion
393 game winner
88-36 in the playoffs

Billy Smith

one_smith03.jpg

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
With the 4th overall pick in the 2012 MLD, the Raleigh Icecaps are proud to select, from the New York Islanders

4 time Stanley Cup Champion
393 game winner
88-36 in the playoffs

Billy Smith

one_smith03.jpg

Selected 193 overall in the main draft.

Please re-pick.

Awesome pic though

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Grr, dang it. Must have glossed over it when I checked...

With the 4th overall pick, the Raleigh Icecaps select:

Stanley Cup Champion
400 game winner
4 time allstar

Nikolai Khabibuuuuuulin.

Nikolai+Khabibulin+Edmonton+Oilers+v+Montreal+NTVW-p2vl0Ll.jpg

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hmmmmm....

I dunno, it's a mystery to me.

hey! I am not that scary. People should be equally scared to go up against the TDMM/dreakmur tandem, C1958 (can't wait to see what a playoff series with him looks like) or VI (stats be damned!!!!!!!!!!!) Hedberg is not scary per se, because he doesn't have the tendency to be argumentative, but he is just plain good.

Just looked it up to verify

2005-06 pp points:
Tomas Kaberle - 51P/82G
Nicklas Lidstrom - 50P/80G

so Lids had the better PPG, Kabs the slightly higher total

my bad, I see now that you said PP points.

Although give us a very rough estimate of when you're going to pick, so we don't keep refreshing this page, heh

true dat

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
nobody else find it a pain in the ass to verify which players are available or not this time around with the ATD being smaller than the one before? damn

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
As soon as I took Maruk in the ATD EB PM'd me and asked why I didn't take Tumba. My answer was **** he's still available? Woulda a perfect Lindros replacement for that second line.

Fun fact: The Duquesne Country and Athletic Club also sported a water polo team like Brynas. In fact, them and the football team are the only pictures of the club I could find.

1899_Duquesne+001.jpg

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
nobody else find it a pain in the ass to verify which players are available or not this time around with the ATD being smaller than the one before? damn

Especially with typos in the draft threads.

I was pumped to see Dan Bain still available.... only to see Dain Bain was selected already :laugh:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
As soon as I took Maruk in the ATD EB PM'd me and asked why I didn't take Tumba. My answer was **** he's still available? Woulda a perfect Lindros replacement for that second line.

Fun fact: The Duquesne Country and Athletic Club also sported a water polo team like Brynas. In fact, them and the football team are the only pictures of the club I could find.

1899_Duquesne+001.jpg

Intresting. Brynäs football team was european football though.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He's played in 97 playoff games since the lockout (most among all d-men over that stretch...including Nicklas Lidstrom).
I didn't know that. He has had success at almost every level: Memorial Cup, world juniors champion and tourney all-star, Stanley Cup champion, four-time all-star game participant; I say 'almost' every level because of his lack of adult international competition. I understand he wasn't in world championships because he played so many playoff games at the time, and he wasn't in the World Cup because of simple timing (haven't had one in eight years), but he wasn't on the Olympic team, which only means he wasn't deemed top-6 with truly superstar dmen to choose from. This is a minor point. If anything it just means that an Olympic gold medal would have bolstered his case for ATD worthiness.

I applaud your bio. :clap: An ATD 'newbie' has never done finer.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tomorrow evening at the earliest, possibly Sunday. I'm hosting a 2-year-old's birthday party tomorrow... trust me, nothing else is getting done with that going on.

ain't that the truth. I did it last month.

Interesting note: we scheduled it for late in the afternoon thinking we could put her down for an early nap. instead, she never napped. First time in her life that she didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad