The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
As a base comparison for this guy, I'm wondering if Dustin Penner or Steve Bernier would come to mind.

Hipefully he pans out better than these guys but his mobility and puck skills are on par with those guys right now. He could certainly help the Habs this year. The RWs are so small that having him replacing Gio while he's injured for 9 games and then Bournival wich seems to be also close to NHL ready.

Killerguitar101*

Lmao guys, do you really think this McCarron guy will fight on a regular basis? His few junior fights prove he's marshmallow soft with the gloves dropped.

He's big but that's it. He can play the shoulders but nothing more. All we have to do is hope he's got some talent.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Why would they push for that? Het gets to play with 2 other 1st round pcks for the next 2 years in an offensive role for the perfect coaches to help him perfect HIS kind of game..

HF :shakehead

He probably won't be playing with Domi and Horvat next season. One of them, if not all three, will likely be playing in the NHL. And yes - I think McCarron may be an NHLer by next season, he's shown he's not far off. He already won't hurt you defensively. Shake your head all you want. :)

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Why would they push for that? Het gets to play with 2 other 1st round pcks for the next 2 years in an offensive role for the perfect coaches to help him perfect HIS kind of game..

I doubt both Horvat and Domi and OHLers next year. Both will be in the NHL...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He probably won't be playing with Domi and Horvat next season. One of them, if not all three, will likely be playing in the NHL. And yes - I think McCarron may be an NHLer by next season, he's shown he's not far off. He already won't hurt you defensively. Shake your head all you want. :)

Still, the question here is what is better for him: limited role in the NHL (3-4th liner), slightly bigger role in the AHL (2nd-3rd liner) or prime role in the OHL (1st line)?

I guess a lot depends on how the Hunter manage him and the situation in Hamilton that needs to be better than last year. Also, will we have a spot for him next year or will older prospects outplay him for those spots?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Question for the experts. He will be in London this year but do the Habs have the power to put him in Hamilton next year if he progresses enough?

i think they do since he came out of the US Junior program...

Yeah, this was the case for Tinordi as well, if a player is drafted from outside the CHL (incl. US NTDP) they aren't obligated to stay in the CHL until they're 20. Of course, we know Tinordi stayed there so odds are McCarron will as well, but it's nice that the team has the option to send him to the AHL if they feel he would benefit from it.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Limited viewings so far, but if he plays as he did yesterday 40 games out of 82 he might have a player on our hands, as he gets experience and becomes tougher he will become everything we've needed for the past decade.

If he gets meaner and better at fighting than this would be the icing on the cake

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Limited viewings so far, but if he plays as he did yesterday 40 games out of 82 he might have a player on our hands, as he gets experience and becomes tougher he will become everything we've needed for the past decade.

If he gets meaner and better at fighting than this would be the icing on the cake

Did you see Buffalo's lineup, how on earth can you predict how he'd do playing against almost a full lineup of minor leaguers. LOL

I love habs fans, we're way too funny.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I liked what I saw yesterday from him. He was making the right plays and didn't look out of place in an offensive role. Hopefully he'll become a better skater but he didn't seem to think slow, which is quite important. I think one year in the OHL playing with and against talented players will be very beneficial for him, but at least he seems to know how to play hockey.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Did you see Buffalo's lineup, how on earth can you predict how he'd do playing against almost a full lineup of minor leaguers. LOL

I love habs fans, we're way too funny.

Minor leaguers or not, just stating that he was present in both areas of the ice, was forechecking and contributed offensively. For an 18 year old late first rounder that was considered as raw what I saw last night showed me that there's definitely potential for him to become a solid contributor, I'm not saying he will even be a 50 point player on a regular basis. But him becoming a 40-45 point player that uses his size will make the pick a successful one, one or two years with London is a major positive for this type of player.

Killerguitar101*

Watching the game again on RDS.

Funny to see Tallinder trying to hit McCarron, but ending up on his ass.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
its too early to compare Big Mac right now, he skates well for a big man, dare I say he's slightly quicker than Tinordi. I'm surprise to see his hockey sense, he seems to know where his linemates are on the ice. Two of his assists were pretty much gold. The one to St Denis was a gift. I'm pretty sure he'll be better than Blunden, I don't know if he's a top 6 yet but he'll be a very solid 3rd line winger. McCarron moves like Viktor Kozlov. He might be bigger and definitely more physical than Kozlov. I don't think Mac is a goon that fights.

Gosh having Jarred Tinordi, Mike McCarron to protect Alex Galchenyuk and Brenden Gallagher makes me feel better for many years to come.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Question for the experts. He will be in London this year but do the Habs have the power to put him in Hamilton next year if he progresses enough?

i think they do since he came out of the US Junior program...

yes he can play in the AHL next year, but the Habs should re-think putting 19 year olds in the AHL as it hasn't really worked out all that well in the past.

Still, the question here is what is better for him: limited role in the NHL (3-4th liner), slightly bigger role in the AHL (2nd-3rd liner) or prime role in the OHL (1st line)?

I guess a lot depends on how the Hunter manage him and the situation in Hamilton that needs to be better than last year. Also, will we have a spot for him next year or will older prospects outplay him for those spots?

we'll see what happens this year, how he progresses, this time next year we'll see where he's at. At this point it's impossible to speculate how much he will progress or how quickly he will adapt to the OHL.

I liked what I saw yesterday from him. He was making the right plays and didn't look out of place in an offensive role. Hopefully he'll become a better skater but he didn't seem to think slow, which is quite important. I think one year in the OHL playing with and against talented players will be very beneficial for him, but at least he seems to know how to play hockey.

What has impressed me the most about McCarron is how hard he drives to the net with or without the puck. With his size, as he continues to get stronger, he could be the kind of Power Forward the Habs have sorely lacked, rugged and skilled while being willing to take abuse in front of the net.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The most important thing McCarron proved last night is that he can skate at an NHL pace and can contribute to a rush. He isn't too slow for the NHL so we can put that myth to rest.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I was NOT a fan of drafting McCarron but, DAYUM this guy's impressed me so far. He's got a long way to go to get his offensive game to the next level but defensively and physically he's very close to NHL-ready. Hopefully he matures a little and learns to deal with the media a little better in the next couple of years, he could be a keeper!

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He looked really good. I didn't expect him to be as polished as he looked, at all. Grant told us to keep an eye on McCarron before the habs even drafted him. Kudos to you Grant.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
He has some good tools (average skating, good hands, tremendous size), but what was standing out IMO was his vision and positional game. I'm really looking forward to see some more of him, especially on this matter.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He's the the type of player that we needed for a LONG time.

After watching him last night, he HAS a mean streak and he will be a beast in the coming years.

Look at how hard he was driving the net yesterday. Impressive. On Bournival's second goal, BigMac drives the net and draw 2 dman with him, opening up the passing lane for St-Pierre. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad