OT: The Menu Part 23 - The Tripod & Kenny McCormick Edition

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Ham and cheese omelets for the girls (right) and me (left)

IMG_2750.jpeg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm never going to Collingswood again.

Thanks. I appreciate the slightly easier parking.

It’s just a fish. The difference in quality from good ones to the crap you find most places is enormous. Think of wild caught Pacific Sockeye vs Atlantic grocery store salmon. That’s no longer the same thing. If it’s thrown into a Caesar salad, they’re giving you the cheap ones.

Plus that particular salad uses white anchovies. They have a lighter, fresher taste and less umami than the salt cured ones.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Thanks. I appreciate the slightly easier parking.

It’s just a fish. The difference in quality from good ones to the crap you find most places is enormous. Think of wild caught Pacific Sockeye vs Atlantic grocery store salmon. That’s no longer the same thing. If it’s thrown into a Caesar salad, they’re giving you the cheap ones.

Plus that particular salad uses white anchovies. They have a lighter, fresher taste and less umami than the salt cured ones.
I've never tried anchovies, but I doubt I'd find them offensive. I've eaten whole baby squid before, can't be much different.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I had fantastic anchovies last night and I am emboldened to begin using them. I'd like to find white anchovies (the Spanish boquero?) and roll with those, instead of figuring out how to use fully cured brown anchovies as flavor enhancers
Boquerones are the Spanish white anchovies. Most commonly found pickled (packed in oil and vinegar). They're pretty delicious in a million ways. I can tell you where to buy them near me, but they're easy to find online.

Surströmming is a delicacy. Let's have a party and crack some tins open.
My ex was a swede. She forbid it from coming to our house with visitors from Sweden. I didn't get to try it until I bought it myself in Sweden after I left her (story for another day). If you do it right with all the right fixins in a sandwich in the traditional flatbread, it's actually not bad. I went back for a second sandwich.

No idea why this got combined into one reply...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad