McCabe Klingberg
Giordano Liljegren
Benoit

Samsonov
Woll

Head Coach: Keefe

Gained: Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Benoit, Reaves

Lost: Bunting, Holl, Kerfoot

Despite Bunting's scoring, his antics hurt TOR at times. Kerfoot was average at almost everything. Teams don't miss average players when they're gone. Holl was below average and ok at the pk.

Klingberg brings some excitement to the pp. It remains to be seen if he can bump Rielly off the first pp. Hopefully Klingberg can simplify his game. Bertuzzi plays big and will be trouble for the other teams' defense. Domi has speed, snot'n'skill, and a home town passion. If he's played on the 3rd line he could heat up. Reaves is a premiere face puncher. He will cause heads to turn, and passion throughout.

I think the goaltending tandem is overlooked. The healthy competition could make up for the so called "lost defensive game". Is Samsonov+Woll better than Murray+Samsonov? Most of you would say yes.

BT will likely explore trade options in Jan/Feb. By then we'll really see who the Leafs are.

I think they'll be a lot like last year. They should sleep walk to the playoffs. They'll also entertain more with the rough stuff/real fist to cuffs.

Go Leafs Go

PS- This is elite speculation on my part.

PPS - It's only speculation.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not really related to the thread, but I think you may have outlined how the Bottom 6 should be composed. The hang up for me had been when fans put Kampf and Reaves together, which was just an odd odd mix.

I think the third line looks weird on paper, but covers a lot things well.
Domi - playmaking, transition
Kampf - defensive conscience
Jarnkrok - shot threat + defensive conscience

Then a McMann (or Gregor) - Lafferty - Reaves line shouldn't play a ton, but has the makings of an effective energy line. Theyll forecheck, finish checks, and just generally be annoying.

The question mark for me is if Jarnkrok is the cap move, who provides the best balance for the third option on that line. Id like Robertson there for shot threat, but do you takeaway too much 2-way impact?

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Nylander
Domi Kampf Jarnkrok
McMann Lafferty Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Klingberg
Giordano Liljegren
Benoit

Samsonov
Woll

Head Coach: Keefe

Gained: Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Benoit, Reaves

Lost: Bunting, Holl, Kerfoot

Despite Bunting's scoring, his antics hurt TOR at times. Kerfoot was average at almost everything. Teams don't miss average players when they're gone. Holl was below average and ok at the pk.

Klingberg brings some excitement to the pp. It remains to be seen if he can bump Rielly off the first pp. Hopefully Klingberg can simplify his game. Bertuzzi plays big and will be trouble for the other teams' defense. Domi has speed, snot'n'skill, and a home town passion. If he's played on the 3rd line he could heat up. Reaves is a premiere face puncher. He will cause heads to turn, and passion throughout.

I think the goaltending tandem is overlooked. The healthy competition could make up for the so called "lost defensive game". Is Samsonov+Woll better than Murray+Samsonov? Most of you would say yes.

BT will likely explore trade options in Jan/Feb. By then we'll really see who the Leafs are.

I think they'll be a lot like last year. They should sleep walk to the playoffs. They'll also entertain more with the rough stuff/real fist to cuffs.

Go Leafs Go

PS- This is elite speculation on my part.

PPS - It's only speculation.

I think Knies eventually makes his way into the top 6 but he's not going to be handed that spot over Max Domi.

He's going to have to earn it.

Reactions: On-the-Fly

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Like always its probably going to come down to health.

They have pieces that i'm unsure of how the mix is going to all fit, but that left wing is lightyears ahead of where its been the last few years, with some serious room to grow if Knies plays like he did in the playoffs.

If Robertson could put together a healthy season and take a step it would do wonders as well. The floor is stable with the forwards, but the ceiling is high depending on how the fit/development works out.

D I think they address by picking up a top four guy ala the Muzzin trade by the deadline.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Forwards look better, defence looks worse, goaltending is a question mark. I don't care how they do in the regular season, elite or not will depend on how they do in the playoffs. It's the same core so there's no tangible reason to expect anything different, except perhaps for the vague hope that Reaves will be a Messier type in the locker room and somehow light a fire under these guys, we'll see.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Knies eventually makes his way into the top 6 but he's not going to be handed that spot over Max Domi.

He's going to have to earn it.
Spread the wealth.

A first year Knies next to Kampf and Jarnkrok doesn't stand out offensively, it creates too much of a top-6/bottom-6 split. I'd rather let Knies be the third wheel in the top-6 and let Domi lead the charge offensively on line #3 whether at wing or at center. It would be harder to shut down a balanced attack.

Reactions: authentic

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Forwards look better, defence looks worse, goaltending is a question mark. I don't care how they do in the regular season, elite or not will depend on how they do in the playoffs. It's the same core so there's no tangible reason to expect anything different, except perhaps for the vague hope that Reaves will be a Messier type in the locker room and somehow light a fire under these guys, we'll see.
Same core and same coach……..so there’s that

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That 3rd line doesn't seem to have an identity though. Not sure where Kampf should slot in with this forward group.

Reactions: weems and kb

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Knies and Liljegren are two very important players for this current roster.
Right now both players have very obvious talent and huge upside but it's also accurate that there's a pretty large range of outcomes for each player when talking just next season. I could see Knies being anything from a legit top 6 PF who adds a dynamic element to either line or possibly just another talented young player who could struggle early in their NHL career. I could see Liljegren being anything from a consistent two way defenceman that can play on a top pairing insulating your #1 guy or someone that that could be battling it out to stay in the lineup.

Our defensive depth looks better than offensive depth but if we're going to be a strong championship caliber team next season, both these players need to be a factor.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
That 3rd line doesn't seem to have an identity though. Not sure where Kampf should slot in with this forward group.
Ideally on the 4th line. Is Lafferty a 3rd line line C? I don't think he is. Is Holmberg a 3C? It's tricky. I'm not sure what the answer is. Where did Lafferty play last season?

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Hard to say. Hopefully Domi and Bertuzzi fit in well and Klingberg gives us an option to transition the puck up the ice more effectively than last year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I mean....if it would work, Robertson, Domi, and Jarnkrok would be a tough matchup 3rd line.

Robertson's only issue is health, as he did lead the league in preseason scoring last year....

Reactions: Clark4Ever

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
With a loaded top six Kampf would make a good shutdown third line to open up some easier match ups for JT. Jarn works but we don't have an LW for this.

If Knies and Roby can play then a Roby-Domi-Jarn makes a strong third scoring line, and Kampf would bring order to a tenacious 4th line with Reavo and Laff (not sure how well that works). But it falls apart if Roby isnt ready.

With D a priority now it will be interesting to see how they thread the needle. Without a Willy trade they probably balance what they have on F and swap out Gio at the deadline for a Big Z type with the tdl cap multiplier - provided the top four are working.

Tre hasn't restored order yet but some good moves with strong upside in the meantime if everything clicks.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Spread the wealth.

A first year Knies next to Kampf and Jarnkrok doesn't stand out offensively, it creates too much of a top-6/bottom-6 split. I'd rather let Knies be the third wheel in the top-6 and let Domi lead the charge offensively on line #3 whether at wing or at center. It would be harder to shut down a balanced attack.

I full expect him to see time in the top 6 but there needs to be an opening which means he gets in the top 6 when there is an injury

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't know about "sneaky elite" because I am not sure what that really means. If they play well early on they won't be "sneaky" for long, that's just the way it goes.

I do, however think that this team might surprise a lot of people of those people are expecting a step back. Here's why...

First of all, this team finished with 111 points last year and that was good for fourth overall in the NHL. They were playing at a 111 point pace at the trade deadline and continued to do so after they added O'Rielly, Acciari, Schenn, McCabe, Lafferty and Gustafsson. The team that started last season was good enough for fourth in the NHL. I believe this year's team is better than the team that broke camp last October and I can't see any reason why they are worse.

Let's start with core. If Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly continue to grow and develop (as players at this age do) and if they are as healthy or healthier than last year then we are already better. Growth in their games should offset age-based declines, if any from Tavares, Brodie, and Giordano.

I would add Liljegren to the list of players that should provide internal roster improvement. He has got better every year and we should see another step up this year. The same could be said for Samsonov building on last year, thought goalies are voodoo and hard to forecast.

As for the rest of the roster, lets look at the "ins" and "outs"...

Bertuzzi should be better than Bunting
Domi should be better than Kerfoot
Knies should be better than Engvall
McCabe should be better than Holl
Klingberg should be better than Sandin
Lafferty should be better than Aston-Reese
Reaves should be better than Aube-Kubel
Will should be better than Murray

Timmins, Benoit, Robertson, Holmberg, Gambrell, Gregor, McMann, and Jones are sold depth options compared to what we had last year also.

We have two new bench coaches and a New GM. The culture, energy and room COULD be stronger....I think new blood and new voices were necessary and let's hope they brought in the right ones.

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Domi Tavares Marner
Knies Kampf Jarnkrok
Lafferty Gambrell Reaves
Robertson Holmberg Gregor McMann

Rielly Liljegren
Brodie Klingberg
Giordano McCabe
Benoit Timmins

Samsonov
Woll
Jones

...don't worry about the cap....injuries will take care of that.

Our PK could be weaker without Kerfoot and our team D could suffer with Bertuzzi and Domi taking regular shifts. But we added grit and toughness and this was also needed.

Sneaky elite? I don't know...but better than last year's 111 point team? Why not just exactly?

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Knies and Liljegren are two very important players for this current roster.
Right now both players have very obvious talent and huge upside but it's also accurate that there's a pretty large range of outcomes for each player when talking just next season. I could see Knies being anything from a legit top 6 PF who adds a dynamic element to either line or possibly just another talented young player who could struggle early in their NHL career. I could see Liljegren being anything from a consistent two way defenceman that can play on a top pairing insulating your #1 guy or someone that that could be battling it out to stay in the lineup.

Our defensive depth looks better than offensive depth but if we're going to be a strong championship caliber team next season, both these players need to be a factor.
I think Lily will be a much more consistent D-man when Keefe stops playing f***ing mind games with him. Why does Keefe feel the need to remind him every once in a while that he'll be benched/pressboxed if he makes a single error? That's not a good way to develop a D-man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad