Confirmed with Link: The koala has been fired!! Todd McLellan fired, Jim Hiller named Interim Head Coach

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So glad Blake extended him near the beginning of the season. Idiotic move.
Not sure why it is so standard to extend a coach going into his last season in the NHL. They say having a coach on the last year of his deal makes him a "lame duck" coach, but always seems like a nice parting gift more than anything.

incoming microscopic pld effort increase
Here's hoping

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm really surprised honestly. Todd makes an excellent assistant coach, but just doesn't seem to cut it as the main guy. Good luck to him wherever he lands. So who the f*** is Jim Hiller? That seems like an off the radar pick...

Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I wish this was ownership and not Blake. I am sure ownership forced Blake's hand, but Blake HAS to go. The team is where is it because of him more than TMac. If only TMac is relieved then it sends the wrong message, it makes the case and gives the excuse to players like PLD that TMac was the problem and the linemates they are paired with. I would bet everything I own that PLD has it in his mind that TMac was the problem and he is playing the best he can with inferior linemates.

The problem is he doesn't know that he is the dragging-ass boat anchor on the line. His "I want to be coached" bullshit screams he isn't taking personal accountability for his line. Fiala can be paired with Lizzo and Lewis tomorrow and still find a way to be PPG, but PLD needs to be carried, it is clear that if the Kings get stuck with his deal and have to keep him for the long haul, they need to find a player that can wipe his ass to get any sort of results.

If nothing else happens for the rest of the year, which I am sure is going to be the case, we will just coast it out with Hiller and when we either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round, Blake has to go and Luc either has to go or be relieved from hockey operations (obviously I care more about Luc than Blake). But the thing that will burn me the most is the underperforming players will have that excuse in their back pocket. Todd wasn't terrible, he is an okay coach, but he runs out of tools in his toolbox sooner than most, he is probably better suited to be an assistant.

At the very least, hopefully, we bury the 1-3-1, Hiller says f*** it and starts rolling some aggressive lines and youngsters, and we try to mimic the tear the Oilers went on and get some wins here. This lineup is flawed, but we have the players in the system to not be terrible.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
incoming microscopic pld effort increase
You haven't been paying attention. It takes an entire season for PLD to learn a system, so this change resets his knowledge to zero. He will look worse, but that should set up a buyout this summer.

Anyone know if any NHL teams use testing like the wonderlic for the draft?

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
The fact that Hiller had been named interim coach FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON! Leads me to believe AEG is going to make Blake run the horses he brought! If he gets bounced in the first round he is gone too! I’m sure Luc cockroaches the whole thing and names Bergy as GM!

This organization is super predictable with dead wood in the picture so I’m viewing this as 1/4 full at this point which can go to half full and then back to half empty!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think we know exactly which players are celebrating this morning, and it's the two that never should have been here in the first place.
Why would they be happy about it? They are still getting all the minutes they want and T-Mac is their biggest cheerleader.

Oh, you mean Fiala and PLD? Have to be more specific when you are talking about players that shouldn't currently be here in the first place. I legit thought you meant 11 & 8.

PLD for sure. Fully expect him to be seeing some new line mates first game after the break.

Blake is not allowed to hire another coach. All on the players to try and turn this around. Blake needs a PLD breakout and a good second half/playoff appearance to keep his job. Hiller gets the chance to earn the full-time gig but he is to do Blake's bidding since he owes Blake for the opportunity.

Problem here is that if there is a short-term pop this season and we see Hiller get the job full-time, we are looking at Stevens 2.0 since it is still the same flawed roster.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Jon Rosen truly the f***ing goat. the one guy in Kings journalism who actually has sources.

Hopefully Rosen says that Blake is going

Last edited:
Reactions: chris kontos

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Can't say I am surprised......love the timing of it though, 9 day break.....not sure what the rules are with the all-star break and practicing, but familiarity with staff/players, so tweaks to the system but not a complete overhaul within.....expect a oh shit kind of reaction from the players knowing that coach is gone, they have to wake the f*** up.....and then, be interesting to see what changes are made personnel/line wise, I'd f***ing die of laughter if Kaliyev is STILL not playing.....just saying.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Wish it was an outside voice coming in to kick some ass. Not sure how much change we'll get with Hiller.

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
If this move doesn't work out and Hiller turns out to be a bust, we can now bring back the classic Hillllllerrrrr chant.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
2 years too late, two Blake moves too late but I’ll take it …
Hopefully this means kids like Turc, Arth, Clarke and maybe even Sammy get run serious run. PLD and Fiala have been misguided acquisitions and that’s being polite.. Hopefully Hiller gives Kopi less mind and I don’t know, maybe use PD more in the PK.. maybe throw QB and Turc out there too because dumb and dumber are a strictly bad penalty and offensive minded! Oh and F uck Luc

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If AEG is wide awake, they'll move Luc to team ambassador and bring in a new president who will work with AEG to do a thorough GM search in the offseason when assistants are available. It will have to happen fast because they need to decided whether to buyout PLD and hire the best coach before other teams do. I really concerned that just Blake is fired we get the Bergovin Luc shit show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad