Confirmed with Link: The koala has been fired!! Todd McLellan fired, Jim Hiller named Interim Head Coach

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Kaliyev (in 38 games) has more points (14) than Grundstrom and Lewis (in 48 games) and one less point than Laferriere in 9 less games. JAD has 4 points in 20 games, that almost half of Kaliyevs' P/GP. Grundstrom hits and sometimes looks like he shouldn't be in the AHL. Lewis PKs, and JAD has one PK shift per game. I have a hard time thinking that all 4 of these guys should be in over Arty. Especially when the team has not been scoring any goals!

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
\
Kaliyev (in 38 games) has more points (14) than Grundstrom and Lewis (in 48 games) and one less point than Laferriere in 9 less games. JAD has 4 points in 20 games, that almost half of Kaliyevs' P/GP. Grundstrom hits and sometimes looks like he shouldn't be in the AHL. Lewis PKs, and JAD has one PK shift per game. I have a hard time thinking that all 4 of these guys should be in over Arty. Especially when the team has not been scoring any goals!
But JAD used to bring Koala a fresh apple every practice and Trevor is DD's best buddy. Thats how things work at LA CC 2.0.. but maybe Hiller will put an end to the illogical deployments.

JAD is 13th fwd. Lewis is terrible in every regard though some think he's what's making the PK so successful (false). No way they should be getting regular shifts over any of the afformentioned younger players.. for countless reasons - the most important of which is that theyre already better today and have much higher ceilings. Hopefully the antiquated slow boil approach to the youth is out the door along with the peter-principle Koala.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Clearly you don't actually watch the games, just the box scores,

With the exception of literally a handful of games, most right after he got benched, he's looked like hot dogshit.......

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
\

But JAD used to bring Koala a fresh apple every practice and Trevor is DD's best buddy. Thats how things work at LA CC 2.0.. but maybe Hiller will put an end to the illogical deployments.

JAD is 13th fwd. Lewis is terrible in every regard though some think he's what's making the PK so successful (false). No way they should be getting regular shifts over any of the afformentioned younger players.. for countless reasons - the most important of which is that theyre already better today and have much higher ceilings. Hopefully the antiquated slow boil approach to the youth is out the door along with the peter-principle Koala.
I think Lewis was a courtesy signing so he could retire as a king after this season. JAD can do what Lewis does.

I would still ask Lewis if he wants to be traded at the deadline, give him one more chance if he wants it. If not, maybe he sees some time in Ontario before he moves over to coaching/scouting

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think Lewis was a courtesy signing so he could retire as a king after this season. JAD can do what Lewis does.

I would still ask Lewis if he wants to be traded at the deadline, give him one more chance if he wants it. If not, maybe he sees some time in Ontario before he moves over to coaching/scouting
Courtesy signings are an aspect of the LA CC 2.0. The team needs to contend and develop guys like Turcotte whose ELC is about to expire (and being blocked by the likes of Lewis) vs think about some has been former King's feelings.. (Thats my best attempt at an @Sol like post)

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Clearly you don't actually watch the games, just the box scores,

With the exception of literally a handful of games, most right after he got benched, he's looked like hot dogshit.......
Same could be said for Grundstrom, and he gets paid more than he should for what he brings.

JAD sat for most of the season already, clearly he doesn't need to be in every night or else he would have been playing more all year.

Lewis does not need to be in every game at this point, a night off here and there could do wonders for his longevity through a season.

Laf has been good, more wheels than most of the team on lots of nights. You could also see that he hit a wall and wasn't good for a bunch of games and could have easily taken some more nights off. Going from a college schedule of 40ish games to a full NHL schedule will run you down, a game or two here and there to watch and learn and rest would be good for him.

There are definitely places for Kaliyev to go in and get more games. Does he need to be in every night in front of al those players all the time? No. Should he be in more than he has been? Yep. And if we wanna talk about dogshit players not doing anything and needing to see the press box, one PLD should be high on the list.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
TM consistently improved the output of this team year after year. He’s been here almost five years, it doesn’t just fall apart in a month due to the coach. Absurd.
Blake year after year added more talent to this team and the team has consistently been bounced in the first round. Kings went out of their way to hire one of the most mentally fragile coaches in the modern era and that coach has constantly failed. The same coach employs 1-3-1 while losing a match, the same coach who got reverse swept, the same coach who overly relies heavily on a core drafted nearly 20 years ago to carry the team. The Kings went from one of the best teams in the NHL this year to one of the worst in 6 weeks. A collapse of that magnitude is coaching. Todd has never been able to stop a ship from sinking, don't know why you lend him that much benefit of the doubt when he's been a loser his entire career.

Players did drop the ball, but undoubtedly this Mclellan and Blakes failure first and foremost. Any other take is not based on deductive reasoning.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Blake year after year added more talent to this team and the team has consistently been bounced in the first round. Kings went out of their way to hire one of the most mentally fragile coaches in the modern era and that coach has constantly failed. The same coach employs 1-3-1 while losing a match, the same coach who got reverse swept, the same coach who overly relies heavily on a core drafted nearly 20 years ago to carry the team. The Kings went from one of the best teams in the NHL this year to one of the worst in 6 weeks. A collapse of that magnitude is coaching. Todd has never been able to stop a ship from sinking, don't know why you lend him that much benefit of the doubt when he's been a loser his entire career.

Players did drop the ball, but undoubtedly this Mclellan and Blakes failure first and foremost. Any other take is not based on deductive reasoning.
I don’t how you can blame things like Talbot coming back down to earth (way back down), massive drops in shooting %, PLD not earning his paycheck and clear cut dumb individual plays on the coach…unless the coach is controlling all these players with an Xbox controller of course. Cool.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t how you can blame things like Talbot coming back down to earth (way back down), massive drops in shooting %, PLD not earning his paycheck and clear cut dumb individual plays on the coach…unless the coach is controlling all these players with an Xbox controller of course. Cool.
So you want to attribute the great start to talbot? Goaltending hasn't been atrocious like it was the previous season. Kings were winning despite of PLD.

Coach lost the room. He has a habit of that. No reason to lie about it and pretend this hasn't been Tmacs biggest issue his entire career.

Reactions: tigermask48

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So you want to attribute the great start to talbot? Goaltending hasn't been atrocious like it was the previous season. Kings were winning despite of PLD.

Coach lost the room. He has a habit of that. No reason to lie about it and pretend this hasn't been Tmacs biggest issue his entire career.
The great start was mostly on Talbot’s great play and the fact that they were scoring at will.

There was no room lost, Doughty confirmed that himself. The concept of 'losing a room' is a pretty chickenshit excuse as these guys are getting paid big bucks to play this game. The idea that they would just stop playing is an insult to every professional player out there. More insults to the players and now ex-coach, it's like second nature.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I look at the rest of the season as a win-win. Maybe Hiller and Co. will right the ship and we take a stride in the playoffs. Or we don't, and you see a new GM. Either way, I think Kings fans can get behind this.
This is my outlook as well. The team returning to their pre-January form is one possibility of many. Feels like a pipe dream right now but it could happen.

[/fantasyland]

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The great start was mostly on Talbot’s great play and the fact that they were scoring at will.

There was no room lost, Doughty confirmed that himself. The concept of 'losing a room' is a pretty chickenshit excuse as these guys are getting paid big bucks to play this game. The idea that they would just stop playing is an insult to every professional player out there. More insults to the players and now ex-coach, it's like second nature.
I wouldn’t trust a word that Doughty says because what do you expect him to say? That Todd sucks? Todd had lost the room for sure with the way they cratered. If you choose to unsurprisingly not lay any blame on your man then that’s that. But Todd definitely killed the team like he has regularly in the playoffs.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
TM consistently improved the output of this team year after year. He’s been here almost five years, it doesn’t just fall apart in a month due to the coach. Absurd.
Didn't kings lose a game earlier last season in the playoffs to the Oilers than the year before? That's not quite improving the output of the team year after year is it?

Reactions: Sol and head eyes

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Didn't kings lose a game earlier last season in the playoffs to the Oilers than the year before? That's not quite improving the output of the team year after year is it?
104 point season with shit goaltending for the first 3 months and then riding the backup tender the rest of the way. Yah, horrible coach…total loser.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
In Kaliyev's first game back from suspension he was playing alongside Danault and Moore while Laferriere played with Fiala and PLD.

It stayed that way for 11 games or so until they swapped Kaliyev and Fiala

Fiala-Danault-Moore
Laferriere-Dubois-Kaliyev

Then Laferriere sat for a game

JAD-Dubois-Kaliyev

The Laferriere-Dubois-Kaliyev line stayed together a while longer even when Lizotte went out for a spell and JAD played in his absence on the 4th line

11/24 - Ducks game

Kaliyev is placed on the 4th line and Grundsrom moves up to play with 78/80

I believe that continued on up to the road trip starting 12/5 vs CBJ/MON/NYI/NYR and the massive losing slide followed shortly after.

There are plenty of ways to interpret what happened to Kaliyev this season... I wouldn't say that Laferriere "took his spot" is one that I subscribe to personally.
I don’t think Laf was penciled in before the season started. He really was a replacement for RV. I do think his emergence has complicated the roster for Kaliyev.

I don’t know the behind the scenes issues with AK. His game just doesn’t seem rounded enough for the coaches to like from my layman understanding.

I wouldn’t say he wasn’t given a shot by the team but I’m also not sure where else you play him if not top six to maximize his assets. But they also signed Trevor Lewis and play him over AK. Bottom six role of course but still taking up a spot.

There are so many questions I have about seniority and salary and the effect they have on lineup decisions that I wonder about too. Are coaches hands tied for example.

Last edited:

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
104 point season with shit goaltending for the first 3 months and then riding the backup tender the rest of the way. Yah, horrible coach…total loser.
Well he was able to take the Oilers to 7 games missing Doughty and without Fiala the year before?
I just know you like when people back up claims with facts, so just wanted you to provide some quantitative backup to your claim :)

Last edited:
Reactions: head eyes

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Well he was able to take the Oilers to 7 games missing Doughty and without Fiala the year before?
I just know you like when people back up claims with facts, so just wanted you to provide some quantitative backup to your claim :)
Only reason Kings took EDM to 7 games two years ago was because of Mike Smith. But yah, let’s keep pretending both orgs had same exact team both years.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Only reason Kings took EDM to 7 games two years ago was because of Mike Smith. But yah, let’s keep pretending both orgs had same exact team both years.
Oh that was the only reason? That was the singular exclusive reason? Okay cool good analysis

• Haha
Reactions: head eyes

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
A team that goes on an inverse heater for that long and doesnt respond to the coaching staff's adjustments / callouts... has lots its will along the way. Some point to the Islanders game when A Lee kneed Kaliyev and Gavrikov leading to another 2 goal come from ahead loss. It is the players fault and a lack of leadership on the team not to come back from that. But that still comes back to the coach for not figuring it out and having the right leaders in place. Ultimately he has to be responsible for overall results. I think part of it was over using Kopi and DD before heading into the 15 games of January... That is also on the Koala whose only lever seems to lean on his vets when things get tough. Sutter for example gave young guys responsibility and which built their confidence. Koala does the opposite - a young player makes a mistake he sits out. Koala also got dealt a hand grenade in PLD. That would be hard for any coach to handle and for sure it must have been a distraction. Still I think he had plenty of chances to demonstrate what he could as a coach and it was not enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad