The Justin Schultz Sweepstakes

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have no idea where he is going to go but if he does go somewhere my homer pick is to Ottawa.

If I were him id go to Tampa. Florida has lowest taxes in the NHL and you get to play at a rink thats on the water and live in the sun. You get to play on a good and up and coming team with very little pressure. He will have an opportunity to play on an awesome powerplay and be the top puck mover on the back end. Not to mention Tampas awesome young core, and the team is filled with beauties.

Just for the HF boards reaction I really hope he goes to Calgary just to watch the fall out and mass hysteria come from the oiler fans. The leaf fans wont be as enjoyable because they already have it so tough I am actually finding myself feeling bad for you guys.

Last edited:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I have no idea where he is going to go but if he does go somewhere my homer pick is to Ottawa.

If I were him id go to Tampa. Florida has lowest taxes in the NHL and you get to play at a rink thats on the water and live in the sun. You get to play on a good and up and coming team with very little pressure. He will have an opportunity to play on an awesome powerplay and be the top puck mover on the back end. Not to mention Tampas awesome young core, and the team is filled with beauties.

Just for the HF boards reaction I really hope he goes to Calgary just to watch the fall out and mass hysteria come from the oiler fans. The leaf fans wont be as enjoyable because they already have it so tough I am actually finding myself feeling bad for you guys.

It's basically the same with the Panthers. Already made the playoffs and got the best prospect-pool in the league. Up and coming team, with a great future (hopefully).

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dismiss us if you like, but we can offer him a team with a core around his age to grow with and improve with. The Sedins aren't getting any younger, and what does Vancouver have coming up the pipe to replace them? Our PP was near tops in the league with Corey freaking Potter on the point. Schultz could put up good numbers playing with RNH, Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov on the PP and that would mean big money on his next contract.

We don't think he'll sign here because he likes snow. We think we're in the conversation because we can offer him an opportunity that few teams can match. And apparently a number of rumours have us in the mix as well.

If I were a young UFA, I absolutely would love to play in Edmonton. Without question. Toronto would be my first choice, because it's my hometown and the team I grew up watching but there's no question, Edmonton would get heavy consideration. There's no denying the opportunity that the Oilers present. No other team in the NHL, IMO, can offer you a shot at being part of a dynasty. Now, that's obviously miles down the road but nonetheless. Couldn't really blame him for going to Vancouver, they're a serious contender. Only question with them is ice time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The issue is that all players want to win. They want to do well personally of course too, but winning is huge. And with current rosters, compared to Calgary, Vancouver is a better choice for Schultz if he wants to win now, and Edmonton is a better choice if he wants to win in the future.

I don't think it is impossible that Calgary signs him, but I certainly would be surprised if he chose there.

I agree all players want to win and if we had another top 4 defender to replace Gio when he went down we would have made the playoffs. We won more games than the Oilers and the Leafs. He could join Vancouver and be a winner as a number 5/6 defenseman or he could join Calgary and have a shot at a top 4 spot with a team that is only a few points out of the playoffs. (who he could push over the top).

arsmaster*

If I were a young UFA, I absolutely would love to play in Edmonton. Without question. Toronto would be my first choice, because it's my hometown and the team I grew up watching but there's no question, Edmonton would get heavy consideration. There's no denying the opportunity that the Oilers present. No other team in the NHL, IMO, can offer you a shot at being part of a dynasty. Now, that's obviously miles down the road but nonetheless. Couldn't really blame him for going to Vancouver, they're a serious contender. Only question with them is ice time.

How the hell do you become a dynasty built on 4 forwards, no defense, and average at best goaltending.

I feel we are throwing out the word dynasty too much here, especially when discussing a team with 3 straight 1st overalls.

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Letang, are a bit different than Hall, RNH, and Eberle + Yakupov.

Chicago had built a team, Edmonton has built two lines.

Please stop calling them a dynasty. Dont get me wrong, I think they are going to be extremely talented and fun to watch, and they have a good chance to be very good, but I don't see how any team could become a dynasty in this league at this time.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
People need to accept that there won't be any dynasties in the cap era. :razz:

And if there would be one, I'd be a team build on a great goalie and stud defensemen.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's basically the same with the Panthers. Already made the playoffs and got the best prospect-pool in the league. Up and coming team, with a great future (hopefully).

Yeah but he will have to play behind Kulikov, Campbell and potentially Garrison for this upcoming season plus Gudbranson will probably be ahead of him on the depth chart for 5 on 5 play. Thats a tough d core to crack.

Not that either are a bad choice if I were him id personally choose tampa especially if he gets to feed Stammer on the PP for the next 10 years.

How the hell do you become a dynasty built on 4 forwards, no defense, and average at best goaltending.

I feel we are throwing out the word dynasty too much here, especially when discussing a team with 3 straight 1st overalls.

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Letang, are a bit different than Hall, RNH, and Eberle + Yakupov.

Chicago had built a team, Edmonton has built two lines.

Please stop calling them a dynasty. Dont get me wrong, I think they are going to be extremely talented and fun to watch, and they have a good chance to be very good, but I don't see how any team could become a dynasty in this league at this time.

Thank you I cant believe the oiler hype on here (well maybe I should we are on 'hockeys future' afterall). There are a ton of teams with incredible young cores in the league not just the oilers. Something has to be said for young established players afterall. Florida, St Louis, L.A, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Chicago, Anaheim, NYI just to name a few all have incredible bases of young players and prospects.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
McKenzie said on Sportcentre that Schultz reportedly wants to play in Canada and preferably on a team where he can be a go-to guy.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
McKenzie said on Sportcentre that Schultz reportedly wants to play in Canada and preferably on a team where he can be a go-to guy.

well, he wont be the go-to guy on defense in ottawa, but maybe playing with the norris winner could entice him.

seriously though, edmonton sounds like a great fit, assuming edmonton brass thinks he's good enough to step into a top-4 role there this year.

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012

Edmonton seems more and more likely where he's going to be next year. Vancouver has an outside shot at this point I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing in his home province.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
As an Oiler fan I refuse to believe he will sign in Edmonton. It's either Van or TO. Why in the world wouldn't he sign with Van aside from the "issue" of their depth chart. If he's as good as advertised, there's no reason why he couldn't be a bottom pairing guy, or crack the roster full time the following season after signing.

As a Canuck fan as much as I want him to be a Canuck I can see him going to TO or Edmonton.

There is -23% that he goes to Calgary though.

Oct 18, 2011
hopefully he goes to a team that comes to socal this year
I will boo the living **** out of him for being a bullfaced liar

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Hahah, yeah, well it IS California and it's a nice arena, I'd look forward to playing there too!

Maybe he likes Selanne a lot? haha

MPStoEberletoHall*

Can't think of any reasons why he wouldn't pick Edm. He would be playing with a very young team who will be a powerhouse in a couple years. He loves the city apparently. He would get top 4 playing time on the blueline, plus I'm sure Edm has been really pushing for him. He would also look great playing with Klefbom:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad