Detroit
Edmonton
Toronto
Calgary
San Jose
Colorado
Minnesota

huge*

What makes Toronto most intriguing is that our ahl team is in the same city and we're the only ahl team who flies, not busses.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
This is actually really amusing seeing all the different fan camps going at each other. Kepp going people! *eating popcorn*

Glad you're getting some sort of entertainment out of Schultz.

I would love for him to sign with the Ducks. All these people screaming "you're city sucks!" "no, yours!" would just stop and look confused (yes, even on the internet).

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010
What makes Toronto most intriguing is that our ahl team is in the same city and we're the only ahl team who flies, not busses.

This has zero value for JS. Why would he care about the AHL team? He's going to the team which promises the best opportunity to play in the NHL.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
No Flames fan is saying we're in the absolute top running for Schultz.

We're saying that we do have a possibility rather than some stupid comments saying that we're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of potential destinations.

The Flames clearly rank at the bottom when you take all the factors together and there has been zero indication from anyone connected to Schultz that Calgary is on his short list. You said it yourself that the Flames are not at the top, so what point is there to include yourself in the debate?

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Glad you're getting some sort of entertainment out of Schultz.

I would love for him to sign with the Ducks. All these people screaming "you're city sucks!" "no, yours!" would just stop and look confused (yes, even on the internet).

Me too :laugh:

What is the most amusing thing about it all though is, that there is so much hype surrounding Schultz, I almost feel bad for him. In order to live up to that, he'll have to be the next Bobby Orr. Good luck with that :D

I actually don't want him in Anaheim anymore. Anyone not proud to wear our jersey is not welcome in my book. But it would be a blast to see him signing with the Islanders, Blue Jackets or the Panthers. Just to read all the comments that would follow :laugh:

member 147413

This has zero value for JS. Why would he care about the AHL team? He's going to the team which promises the best opportunity to play in the NHL.

He shouldn't be guaranteed an NHL spot and he should realize that. If he thinks he's guaranteed an NHL job, he's nuts.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
The Flames clearly rank at the bottom when you take all the factors together and there has been zero indication from anyone connected to Schultz that Calgary is on his short list. You said it yourself that the Flames are not at the top, so what point is there to include yourself in the debate?

No they aren't and yes not at the top but enough to be at least included in the 'debate'

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
When did Calgary fans start thinking they would land Schultz?

It's between Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto and New York.

I don't think Schultz has even considered playing anywhere else. What's with these childish immature fans disrespecting the city of Toronto and our organization, grow up. There are two beautiful cities in Canada, Vancouver and Toronto every other city in Canada is either average or a dump.

If he wants money and familiarity with management, he'll pick Toronto.

If he wants money and wants to play for his hometown, he'll pick Vancouver.

If he wants playing time, he'll pick Edmonton.

If he wants money and to play with friends, he'll pick New York.

Imo that's the order of likelihood. Obviously I'm biased, so get over it.

The funny thing about this post is that its the playing time that directly relates to what money he will make, and that you chose not to list money as a factor in choosing EDM, and yet that's the place where he'd have the best chance to get paid. His ELC will have the same base and signing bonus we just saw Klefbom get, as well as any of the top picks in this draft. $925,000 with a $92,500 signing bonus. His performance bonuses will be in the 2.75mil range, where PP time could play a huge role in allowing him to hit those bonuses (G, A, pts, PPG, ice-time, team PP ranking). So lets look at the teams:

VAN - 4th best PP last year, would have to leap ahead of Edler, Bieksa and possibly Salo (if re-signed) to get PP time.

TOR - 10th best PP last year, would have to leap ahead of Phaneuf and Gardiner to get PP time.

NYR - 23rd best PP last year, would have to leap ahead of Del Zotto to get PP time in a 4F 1D set-up

EDM - 3rd best PP last year, would have to leap ahead of Corey (career AHLer) Potter to get PP time in a 4F 1D set-up.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
There's a great opportunity for him in Anaheim, but looks like it's about location/dream team/buddies/media.

Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, and New York fit the bill imo.

Oct 15, 2008
To be honest, I'm not sure what Calgary currently has to offer that couldn't be trumped by one of Vancouver, Edmonton or Toronto. How do you sell the Flames to a free agent; are they rebuilding or going for it? From the outside looking in, I don't really see any clear direction right now. Maybe that changes on July 1st.

Come to Calgary.

NMC's are free when you sign a three year contract.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like those are the only variables involved. You guys need to get real.

A lot of people are attracted to Calgary because they'd love to play with Iginla, one of the most respected captains in the league. But NOBODY looks at Daniel Sedin and goes "MAN, I wanna play for that guy!" He can outscore Iginla for the rest of their careers but he'll still never come close to that respect. And Vancouver is currently not a well-respected organization; among fans or players. Other players can see that roster flopping around like fish out of water, and they're not impressed. And if you think that's not a big strike against Van in the FA market than you're nuts.

As for Edmonton, the only team to pick 3 1st's in a row since the expansion Senators (who had a valid excuse); all their fans think that FA's will be jumping through hoops to play with these 1st overalls that were acquired so shamefully; IMO it's more likely that those 1st overalls take a page out of Turris' book, and high tail it out the first chance they get. Maybe they will all sign, but I'll believe that when I see it. Because right now there's a disturbing trend of young players with a sense of entitlement (Turris, Erixon, Schultz, and maybe E.Kane), so if I was Edmonton I would be thinking about that. Remember that this is the same organization that Sheldon Souray called terrible and demanded a trade from; and since that time all I've done is come in last repeatedly and prove them right.

So to summarize, Edmonton and Vancouver fans need to tone down their arrogance in this thread because their teams aren't half as attractive as they make it out, and Calgary has a lot of points in it's favor that have gone strategically unmentioned by these same posters.
Yes, Iginla sure convinced Richards to sign in Calgary :laugh: The last guy that "wanted" to play with Iginla was Bouwmeester.

In terms of respect, it's not hard to see that Calgary is probably on the lowest for all teams and organizations. Especially with seeing how Sutter has succeeded in another organization.

Vancouver and Edmonton are both more attractive destinations than Calgary because I dont think anybody cares about Iginla outside of Calgary. He's essentially a god in Calgary and perceived as a guy over the hill outside of Calgary.

And to finish this off, Scott Niedermayer visited Schultz 4 times on the Ducks' behalf and couldnt convince him. Iginla is nowhere near the quality Niedermayer when it comes to respected players and WINNERS.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I would be shocked if this kid signs with Toronto or Edmonton when there are 28 other choices.

I'm sorry but it just defies logic.

That's quite the statement. It's not your decision to make and a city and hockey decision is completely subjective. Sure if you were Schultz you wouldn't sign in EDM or TOR, but you're not Schultz. Also there's a few things within his profile and preferences that show he would indeed prefer to be in a winter town where hockey is a focal point..... Young kids want to feel like rock stars. I'm not sure EDM has the best chance, but its too far to say it would be shocking. Toronto is a great city and as much as people rag on the city of EDM it's actually a great place to live, despite all the sensationalist reviews that seem all too rampant on this site. To say signing in EDM or TOR defies logic in turn seems to defy logic because there's a number of reasons why he would play in either city. Hardly shocking or defying logic if he signs in either city given his preferences.

Last edited:

Seanconn*

I would be shocked if this kid signs with Toronto or Edmonton when there are 28 other choices.

I'm sorry but it just defies logic.

Yeah defies logic... In Edmonton he could very well end up on the top pairing.... What kind of idiot would want to log those kind of ,minutes in his first NHL season? :laugh:

I see your point

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Like those are the only variables involved. You guys need to get real.

A lot of people are attracted to Calgary because they'd love to play with Iginla, one of the most respected captains in the league. But NOBODY looks at Daniel Sedin and goes "MAN, I wanna play for that guy!" He can outscore Iginla for the rest of their careers but he'll still never come close to that respect. And Vancouver is currently not a well-respected organization; among fans or players. Other players can see that roster flopping around like fish out of water, and they're not impressed. And if you think that's not a big strike against Van in the FA market than you're nuts.

As for Edmonton, the only team to pick 3 1st's in a row since the expansion Senators (who had a valid excuse); all their fans think that FA's will be jumping through hoops to play with these 1st overalls that were acquired so shamefully; IMO it's more likely that those 1st overalls take a page out of Turris' book, and high tail it out the first chance they get. Maybe they will all sign, but I'll believe that when I see it. Because right now there's a disturbing trend of young players with a sense of entitlement (Turris, Erixon, Schultz, and maybe E.Kane), so if I was Edmonton I would be thinking about that. Remember that this is the same organization that Sheldon Souray called terrible and demanded a trade from; and since that time all I've done is come in last repeatedly and prove them right.

So to summarize, Edmonton and Vancouver fans need to tone down their arrogance in this thread because their teams aren't half as attractive as they make it out, and Calgary has a lot of points in it's favor that have gone strategically unmentioned by these same posters.
Hey man I'm a Vancouver guy and I'm also very bullish on Calgary's chances as a dark horse candidate in these sweepstakes. I think it is likely a much more desirable location for the kid than Edmonton or Toronto. No bias, just having fun trying to figure out a like destination for Justin Schultz given a whole bunch of factors.

I have it:

Vancouver
San Jose
Calgary

And we'll shall find out shortly!!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

How do they rank at the bottom? If he wants playing time Calgary can offer as much as Edmonton and Toronto and likely more than Vencouver. He has a chance to be a major part of this team unlike Vancouver where he will be a smaller piece (if he is a player that likes to feel like having pressure and center of attention).

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How do they rank at the bottom? If he wants playing time Calgary can offer as much as Edmonton and Toronto and likely more than Vencouver. He has a chance to be a major part of this team unlike Vancouver where he will be a smaller piece (if he is a player that likes to feel like having pressure and center of attention).
Which is the biggest reason probably not to play in Calgary. There is no pressure to play there and guys like Iggy, Kipper and Bouwmeester have been given free passes while playing average.

They should trade Iggy and give the C to Gio already. Essentially the only guy that gives a **** there.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

The issue is that all players want to win. They want to do well personally of course too, but winning is huge. And with current rosters, compared to Calgary, Vancouver is a better choice for Schultz if he wants to win now, and Edmonton is a better choice if he wants to win in the future.

I don't think it is impossible that Calgary signs him, but I certainly would be surprised if he chose there.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Hey man I'm a Vancouver guy and I'm also very bullish on Calgary's chances as a dark horse candidate in these sweepstakes. I think it is likely a much more desirable location for the kid than Edmonton or Toronto. No bias, just having fun trying to figure out a like destination for Justin Schultz given a whole bunch of factors.

I have it:

Vancouver
San Jose
Calgary

And we'll shall find out shortly!!

Why would Schultz refuse to sign in Anahiem to sign in San Jose? o_O

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The issue is that all players want to win. They want to do well personally of course too, but winning is huge. And with current rosters, compared to Calgary, Vancouver is a better choice for Schultz if he wants to win now, and Edmonton is a better choice if he wants to win in the future.

I don't think it is impossible that Calgary signs him, but I certainly would be surprised if he chose there.

It's more than just winning.

If he wants to put up points and earn bonuses Edmonton and Vancouver both have open spots on a top powerplay. Other teams as well. Calgary, not so much.

If he wants to play with friends he'll sign in Toronto, NY or Nashville. Calgary not so much.

If he wants to play for the team he grew up cheering for and is closest to home he'll pick Vancouver. It should be obvious to Canucks followers, but the Flames are kind of the opposite of the home team - especially given 29 other choices.

------------------------------------------------

From what I've heard his camp will listen to pitches from a list of 5 or 6 teams but currently there are three or four at the top. They will look at all the factors but ostensibly it's a choice between playing with friends and the team he grew up cheering for. Of course, a lot of Edmonton fans have been duped into believing that he left Anaheim because he likes snow.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
It's more than just winning.

If he wants to put up points and earn bonuses Edmonton and Vancouver both have open spots on a top powerplay. Other teams as well. Calgary, not so much.

If he wants to play with friends he'll sign in Toronto, NY or Nashville. Calgary not so much.

If he wants to play for the team he grew up cheering for and is closest to home he'll pick Vancouver. It should be obvious to Canucks followers, but the Flames are kind of the opposite of the home team - especially given 29 other choices.

------------------------------------------------

From what I've heard his camp will listen to pitches from a list of 5 or 6 teams but currently there are three or four at the top. They will look at all the factors but ostensibly it's a choice between playing with friends and the team he grew up cheering for. Of course, a lot of Edmonton fans have been duped into believing that he left Anaheim because he likes snow.

Dismiss us if you like, but we can offer him a team with a core around his age to grow with and improve with. The Sedins aren't getting any younger, and what does Vancouver have coming up the pipe to replace them? Our PP was near tops in the league with Corey freaking Potter on the point. Schultz could put up good numbers playing with RNH, Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov on the PP and that would mean big money on his next contract.

We don't think he'll sign here because he likes snow. We think we're in the conversation because we can offer him an opportunity that few teams can match. And apparently a number of rumours have us in the mix as well.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Yes, Iginla sure convinced Richards to sign in Calgary :laugh: The last guy that "wanted" to play with Iginla was Bouwmeester.

In terms of respect, it's not hard to see that Calgary is probably on the lowest for all teams and organizations. Especially with seeing how Sutter has succeeded in another organization.

Vancouver and Edmonton are both more attractive destinations than Calgary because I dont think anybody cares about Iginla outside of Calgary. He's essentially a god in Calgary and perceived as a guy over the hill outside of Calgary.

And to finish this off, Scott Niedermayer visited Schultz 4 times on the Ducks' behalf and couldnt convince him. Iginla is nowhere near the quality Niedermayer when it comes to respected players and WINNERS.

First off, how many legit #1 C's have hit UFA in the past 10 years.

Second, fact is hindsight is 20/20. How many people praised the Flames for getting rid of Sutter because he "ran the team into the ground." People were still laughing at him when he signed in L.A.
Even Bowmeester, originally was just about a lock for the 2010 Olympics when he was traded and signed to calgary, and was easily considered the highest profile UFA for that offseason. Yet the Flames signed him before he hit, but w/e I geuss he didn't want to play there, he was forced right?

I don't know what Iginla has done to you, but he is easily one of the most, if not the most respected player to lace up the skates in his generation. This thought of yours would not have even come to mind 5 years ago. The guy has carried this franchise, and has shown nothing but loyalty, while maintaining a high quality of play on the ice.
Like really, if he manages to score 30 goal 5 more years he will become one of the most consistant goal scorer the NHL has ever seen.

Next year he will pass: Darryl Sittler, Jarri Kurri, and Mike Bossy.

The fact is, he is in a group of the most, elite of elite, players that the game has ever seen. And that is a fact.
(Im not saying that he will score 30 for 5 more years, but it is not unreasonable to think he can)

Now in response to the other Flames bashing comment:

1: Erixon, like really, do people still not understand the situation. If Erixon's dad played for the Flames, there would never have been a problem. End of story, this is the only reason he is not playing for the Flames. GET OVER IT...

2. The same people that are saying that the Flames are known to not give young players oportunity, and ruining prospects, are the same ones claiming the Flames have a terible prospect pool, and are going to be bad for years because we have no one good enough to take over for our "aging stars." So ya, just think about that for a second...

3. Like the Oilers are know to bring prospect and young players along and groom them into stars(1st overall don't count)... Ya ok, if there is a team other than Columbus that people will point to about ruining players, it is Edmonton. (But I will give you Eberle)

Back to Schultz, again, no Flames fan is claiming that Calgary is a front runner. Just the fact that they are the 2nd closest team to his hometown. Basically have a 1st or 2nd pair RD spot with his name on it. Have a attractive city to live in and raise a Fammily. And have one of the greatest player of the last 15 years to play on the same team as.

I can't wait for all this to be over....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad