The Justin Schultz Sweepstakes

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Not sure why Anaheim has soo many votes. IMO thats the last place I expect him to sign. If thats what he wanted to do, he would have already.

The Jake Gardiner theory to me is pretty dumb. There are better places he could play if he wants to be with college friends. If he signs in Toronto its cause of Burke, not Gardiner.

Its really hard to see him not signing with the Nucks.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, there's still some hope for the Ducks, I think. With no CBA in place, and a lockout still a possibility, it has - in my interpretation of what we have seen and heard - become relatively apparent that Schultz' priority list is, in HF terms: NHL > final year at school >>>>>>> whatever else in case of lockout (AHL, Europe). The way I understand things, he can't have the second option once he says he'll go pro / signs with a team.

Where does this leave him? I can't tell. We'll likely not have a new CBA by the time his next "deadlines" roll along, and I don't have all implications of those in my head, right now. It's just illustrating that him not yet having signed with the Ducks doesn't necessarily mean he'll rather sign with Edmonton/Vancouver/New York or any of the other 26 teams that would contemplate making an offer if he did decide to head to free agency. He may just not want to risk playing AHL hockey due to a lockout when he'd much rather finish his school eligibility.

arsmaster*

I hate how the Oiler fans are taking Bob Mackenzie's suggestion that Edmonton would be the best situation to land in as an insider source.

You are confusing a suggested opinion with inside source.

Mackenzie even stated he had no 'inside track' just felt that landing in a young core like that would be beneficial to him going forward.

I completely disagree that Edmonton is a good situation. Kids would end up like -40 on that team, not exactly a diving endorsement for a huge second contract IMO.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not sure why Anaheim has soo many votes. IMO thats the last place I expect him to sign. If thats what he wanted to do, he would have already.

The Jake Gardiner theory to me is pretty dumb. There are better places he could play if he wants to be with college friends. If he signs in Toronto its cause of Burke, not Gardiner.

Its really hard to see him not signing with the Nucks.

Dumber than these reasons making Edmonton the "leading" candidate?

>J.S likes edmonton
>Edmonton is an hour away from Vancouver
>Bob McKenzie said it's a good destination
>A team that has been poorly run and has mediocre success has a void on defense

maybe...but not by much.
If these are the reasons then I could give quite a few other teams a list of why they're the "front-runners"

I hate how the Oiler fans are taking Bob Mackenzie's suggestion that Edmonton would be the best situation to land in as an insider source.

You are confusing a suggested opinion with inside source.

Mackenzie even stated he had no 'inside track' just felt that landing in a young core like that would be beneficial to him going forward.

I completely disagree that Edmonton is a good situation. Kids would end up like -40 on that team, not exactly a diving endorsement for a huge second contract IMO.

Even if that wasn't the case, why does everyone assume they know what Schultz's intentions are? That joining a terrible blueline just because it gives him a quick success opportunity sounds like a good thing? Personally, as a hockey player, I'd prefer to join the best blueline there is and challenge myself to be BETTER than the guys ahead of me on the depth chart. That's what he did in Wisconsin. He didn't start his career there as THE guy.

If the assumption is that he'll sign wherever he can get the least amount of work for the sexiest depth chart position...why do you even want a player with such a lazy mentality in the first place?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I completely disagree that Edmonton is a good situation.

I have some reservations about that thought, as well. They obviously have a great young core, and getting into a situation where you can step in and get some minutes right away is desireable, but as a young defenseman, is Ryan Whitney really the type of guy you want to learn from every day in practise and around the rink? If I look at a situation like Philadelphia's, who would appear to have an opening as well, playing with even an aging Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen would seem to be far more flattering options to be able to work with constantly, and hopefully take over for in a few years.

willch878

Feb 3, 2011
Reading, PA
I'm going with a darkhorse team, the Tampa Bay Lightning. If not, the Leafs based on his connection with Gardiner, Burke, and USA hockey

What connection does Schultz have with Burke? None that I'm aware of.

His only connection with USA hockey is that he played NCAA with Wisconsin. He's actually a Canadian BC boy from Kelowna.

Hence, not aware of any connection with "USA hockey" that would lead him to choose Toronto.

The only factor Toronto has going for it is his buddy Gardiner.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I reckon he'll go to one of the Oilers, Flames or Canucks. Out of those three, it'd have to be Vancouver but I think it'd be interesting to see him in Pittsburgh - replacement if Niskanen doesn't sign?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

His only connection with USA hockey is that he played NCAA with Wisconsin. He's actually a Canadian BC boy from Kelowna.

Hence, not aware of any connection with "USA hockey" that would lead him to choose Toronto.

He drafted him :dunno:

By the way this picture irritates me

IMG_0511_600x900-333x500.jpg

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Didn't Burke's regime in Anaheim draft him? I made a mistake thinking he's American though, DOH :facepalm:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Fine, I'll take Bob McKenzie's opinion over random HF poster opinions.

Fine. Stop calling Edmonton a front-runner then. Any opinion anyone has is invalid because no factual evidence of Schultz's inclinations have been made public.

Therefore the proper response to this thread is there is no front-runner in the sweepstakes. Some teams are more likely than others, but that's it. For all we know he's going back to Wisco next year.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pretty obvious he's going to sign with Vancouver. The kid was a HUGE Canucks fan growing up and I think he just wants to play for his favourite team.

Once we trade Luongo to Toronto for Gardiner and toronto's #5 overall.... then he'll be able to play with his best friend as well. :)

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Pretty obvious he's going to sign with Vancouver. The kid was a HUGE Canucks fan growing up and I think he just wants to play for his favourite team.

Once we trade Luongo to Toronto for Gardiner and toronto's #5 overall.... then he'll be able to play with his best friend as well. :)

Where are you going to find the space once you poach Shea Weber as well?

franfrey*

In b4 Edmonton and it's not even close.

Guys guys...his favorite place to visit is Edmonton! Time to get the Schultz Oilers jerseys stitched up.

I don't think any Oilers fan is adamant that he'll sign with Edmonton. I don't know what makes you think that. We're just being cautiously optimistic about the situation.

I do think however, that the circumstances in Edmonton are ideal for him. Young core, up-and-coming team, could easily crack the lineup and could quarterback the first power play unit. He also likes the city, which is fairly close to home. Another thing that people don't realize is that Alberta has the lowest taxation rates in all of Canada, which would allow him to make quite a bit more money than anywhere else. I doubt that it would be an important aspect of his decision making but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

Also, a poster on the Oilers board apparently has inside information that says he wants to play in Edmonton...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think any Oilers fan is adamant that he'll sign with Edmonton. I don't know what makes you think that. We're just being cautiously optimistic about the situation.

I do think however, that the circumstances in Edmonton are ideal for him. Young core, up-and-coming team, could easily crack the lineup and could quarterback the first power play unit. He also likes the city, which is fairly close to home. Another thing that people don't realize is that Alberta has the lowest taxation rates in all of Canada, which would allow him to make quite a bit more money than anywhere else. I doubt that it would be an important aspect of his decision making but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

Also, a poster on the Oilers board apparently has inside information that says he wants to play in Edmonton...

Calling your team the front runner is not being cautiously optimistic, its being overzealous. The complete opposite.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
I'm going with a darkhorse team, the Tampa Bay Lightning. If not, the Leafs based on his connection with Gardiner, Burke, and USA hockey

That's what I actually voted for (an obvious homer vote). :laugh:

I'd be really surprised if that actually happened though.

If he signed in Tampa he'd probably get a lot of ice time right away, that's partly how we got J.T. Brown to sign.

Also, there is the Yzerman factor. How could you say no to this man?

h101821A.jpg

What's his deal with not wanting to sign with the Ducks anyways?

franfrey*

Calling your team the front runner is not being cautiously optimistic, its being overzealous. The complete opposite.

At this point in time, I'd say Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, and maybe Anaheim and the New York Rangers are the front-runners. There's not one clear-cut front runner in that group of teams, and I realize that. I'm being as cautiously optimistic as I can...

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
^
:handclap:

waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg

I'm not going to throw a fit. I'm just going sit there and wonder who in the insider world actually got something out of Schultz' party.

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out how speculations and a young roster make Edmonton the "frontrunner". Because it all seems to be speculative driven hype, but Oil fans talk about it almost like it's a fact that he's going to sign there. It could be New Jersey fans for all I care, this has nothing to do with the team involved.

The only team that has some kind of true one up is Vancouver because Schultz grew up rooting for them.

You seem agitated.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
At this point in time, I'd say Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, and maybe Anaheim and the New York Rangers are the front-runners. There's not one clear-cut front runner in that group of teams, and I realize that. I'm being as cautiously optimistic as I can...

YOU and a few others are. As a whole, every time Schultz's name is dropped an Oil fan will talk about how it's Edmonton or bust

CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THESE SPEED STICK ADS GO AWAY?!?!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

You lile to put the words of a few posters in the mouths of all Oiler fans. Most of us are just hoping he signs with us as it would be a great fit and help to start shoring up our blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad