The Justin Schultz Sweepstakes

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
If he doesn't sign with the Ducks, then he will be an Oiler. He really seems to be a big fan of theirs. I hope he signs with the Ducks though.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Except that's not what Bob McKenzie said. It was part of the segment The Quiz on TSN where they had to pick one of four possible answers. Most of the more attractive UFA destinations were not an option.

Why would Edmonton be an option then? The Oilers are very rarely discussed as a potential free agent destination.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Edmonton is definitely one of the leading candidates...unless you think we should take your word over Bob McKenzie's. :shakehead

Bob McKenzie suggested it would be an ideal destination. He never said he was leaning on Edmonton.

Anyone in here claiming that Schultz is leaning on ANY team is blowing smoke out of their ***. He hasn't made a single thing public.

There is a difference between insider and a source... Many people have openly said that no one but Justin and his family knows where hell end up, Bob McKenzie himself as well. He is not a source, he just relays what he hears.

This.

I have no clue like the rest of us... but i can say people around here would be majorly PO'D if he landed in Toronto... Not to mention his value and pottential would drastically drop ... lol (DuckJet would have a heart attack)

I actually wouldn't even be a little surprised. I'll be irritated if we don't get anything back in return though.

If he doesn't sign with the Ducks, then he will be an Oiler. He really seems to be a big fan of theirs. I hope he signs with the Ducks though.

False. Schultz grew up as a huge fan of the Canucks. Stop making stuff up.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why would Edmonton be an option then? The Oilers are very rarely discussed as a potential free agent destination.

Ask TSN why they picked the teams they did. I think the options were Detroit, Edmonton, Toronto and Anaheim. I'd suspect being a Canadian network means they are more likely to have Canadian options to pick from.

McKenzie didn't pick Edmonton as the destination out of 30 teams. Just out of the four TSN had him choose from.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I am an edmonton fan but i really feel that his manager whoever that is will have a push for edmonton as an option because playing top pp on the third pp in the league right when u break into the league is a huge opportunity. Eberle hall RNH yakupov Shultz. If that isnt the recipe for a huge contract down the road i dont know what is.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
That being said, it will still be incredibly difficult for the Oilers to lure him away from a bigger market team like Toronto. Especially when you consider one of his good friends (Jake Gardiner) is the focal point on Toronto's blue line for the future.

It would surprise me if he went to TO over Edmonton if salary is the same. He would be way higher on the depth chart in Edmonton and would be in a way better position to succeed. Van would also make sense for him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Looks like he doesn't want to sign there.

He would have signed by now.
Not necessarily true. He may be contemplating a return to Wisconsin and didn't make up his mind before the regular season ended. I also heard a rumor that he's worried about a potential lockout, and if one were to happen he would return to Wisconsin. Not sure how it works, but if he's signed to an ELC he can't go back to the NCAA. I believe. If not he can always go to the AHL, but I think he'd prefer Wisconsin. Nothing is set in stone.

It would surprise me if he went to TO over Edmonton if salary is the same. He would be way higher on the depth chart in Edmonton and would be in a way better position to succeed. Van would also make sense for him.

Are the Oilers guaranteeing him a first pairing role? Because he'd be on the second pair in Toronto and Anaheim pretty much guaranteed. I don't see why this is a defining argument.

That and, oh the Oilers have all this rising talent.

I can just as quickly say Schultz would get the opportunity to play with two legends in Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne, as well as two rising defensive stars in Fowler and Sbisa, great forward prospects like Etem, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly, and Holland, and one of the best trios in the league in Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Any reason why people are clamoring over him so much? What would his cap hit look like?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Any reason why people are clamoring over him so much? What would his cap hit look like?

Very cheap. ELC status.

He's considered to be the best defenseman not in the NHL. Led the NCAA in scoring by a dman by a large margin two years running. Only dman to be a Hobey Baker finalist. Loads of talent.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Very cheap. ELC status.

He's considered to be the best defenseman not in the NHL. Led the NCAA in scoring by a dman by a large margin two years running. Only dman to be a Hobey Baker finalist. Loads of talent.

Sounds like he's got it. Reckon he'd have an ELC of around $1.5m per? Or less?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

If he doesn't sign with the Ducks he's essentially a free blue chip prospect, with the only burden being salary. Who doesn't want one?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Ask TSN why they picked the teams they did. I think the options were Detroit, Edmonton, Toronto and Anaheim. I'd suspect being a Canadian network means they are more likely to have Canadian options to pick from.

McKenzie didn't pick Edmonton as the destination out of 30 teams. Just out of the four TSN had him choose from.

I assumed that they had prior discussion about who to list.

They have gone off the board before if they didn't agree with any of the 4 options.

squidz*

Well Minnesota is collecting former Wisco players, and Madison is just a short hop from St. Paul so that obviously proves once and for all Schultz will sign with Minnesota. In fact, the Wild even traded a player with the same last name to ensure that he wouldn't have to wear "J. Schultz" on his jersey like he would in Edmonton.

I dare anyone to disagree with my logic.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
In fact, the Wild even traded a player with the same last name to ensure that he wouldn't have to wear "J. Schultz" on his jersey like he would in Edmonton.

I dare anyone to disagree with my logic.

We acquired Schultz from Minnesota for a reason.

20213504.jpg

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Burke's has a good chance to grab him. He seems like a good kid, he's best friends with Jake Gardiner...he even went to Wisconsin to see Schultz during the ASG weekend.

Burke drafted him, Gardiner and Schultz wanted to play together in the NHL (before Jake was traded).

If he is as good as advertised he will definitely get every chance to crack the roster with the Leafs.

Jake Gardiner came into camp as a long shot and outplayed just about everyone and for that reason Keith Aulie was sent to the minors and Franson was benched to make sure he played in the NHL.

But anyone saying "X AINEC" is just guessing. Nobody knows where the guy is going...he could end up just about anywhere because it's his choice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
^
:handclap:
I want him to sign in Edmonton just to watch DuckJet throw a fit.

waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg

I'm not going to throw a fit. I'm just going sit there and wonder who in the insider world actually got something out of Schultz' party.

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out how speculations and a young roster make Edmonton the "frontrunner". Because it all seems to be speculative driven hype, but Oil fans talk about it almost like it's a fact that he's going to sign there. It could be New Jersey fans for all I care, this has nothing to do with the team involved.

The only team that has some kind of true one up is Vancouver because Schultz grew up rooting for them.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Edmonton will be one of the leading candidates, while teams like New York, Vancouver, and Toronto are certainly in the running as well, I don't see why it's funny that Oilers fans are hoping he signs here. He likes the city, it's in Western Canada and he can be in his hometown after like a 1 hour flight, and the Oilers have a defense void and Schultz knows he can crack the lineup with ease.

But on the wrong side of the Rocky Mountains

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad