Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
If you're going to bet on anything you'd bet on Tavares re-signing with the Islanders. Star centers just don't move teams. Front offices make the finances work.

There's obviously still hope, though, as long as he doesn't have an extension! Perhaps Tavares is sick of not being on a true contender and in a bad arena situation and wants out. I hope!

If the Islanders move Tavares, it is 100% because he wants out. So now the Islanders will either trade him for whatever they can get or lose him for nothing next summer after a shitty season(not after a Cup run). Their negotiating power rests pretty much in matching other teams against each other. Can or will another team offer a 1st line winger like Jaden Schwartz for a pending UFA? I'm gonna say 99.9% NO. That just doesn't happen.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I get envisioning him and what it could do for The Blues, but I think he'll resign with NYI.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Tid bit from JR's Q&A over on The Athletic:

John Tavares? Is this just a pipe dream or can we get him wearing a Blue note?

Jeremy Rutherford said:
Pipe dream for now. Everything I've read out of Brooklyn is that Tavares is willing to give the Islanders a long look...The Blues have approximately $62 million committed to 16 players next season, according to Capfriendly.com, so there should be some room under a ceiling that now sits at $75 million. But right now, I'd be categorizing any Tavares talk as extreme fantasy land.

https://theathletic.com/126849/2017...-blues-lines-when-alexander-steen-comes-back/

Reactions: Splatter

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Has anybody said any different though? There are a few factors in Tavares being available. Its not like people are banking on him next year...i just see people saying what they are comfortable with trading to get him with some line projections. The guy is a Pending UFA till he signs an extention. Nothing wrong with talking about what "could" happen

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Has anybody said any different though? There are a few factors in Tavares being available. Its not like people are banking on him next year...i just see people saying what they are comfortable with trading to get him with some line projections. The guy is a Pending UFA till he signs an extention. Nothing wrong with talking about what "could" happen
And this is the exact reason I hate the posts that are trying to dissuade any further talk by saying how it won't happen. Who cares if it doesn't happen? It's just a fun discussion.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think it's funny that this has become something of a hot-button issue. Nothing wrong with discussing the possibility of Tavares landing in StL, and I am not trying to dissuade anyone from talking about it...just think it's worth noting that, according to every available source (reliable and otherwise) it's very VERY unlikely to happen.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think its very 'Bluesy' to keep dreaming something what we dont never get. Get drunk or high and have a moment of fantasy and be happy. More the reality hits you more you feel alive. Feeling Blue.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it's funny that this has become something of a hot-button issue. Nothing wrong with discussing the possibility of Tavares landing in StL, and I am not trying to dissuade anyone from talking about it...just think it's worth noting that, according to every available source (reliable and otherwise) it's very VERY unlikely to happen.
Nothing has changed though....there isnt anything new to report. Tavares isn't making his decision till they know where they stand with the arena, which is after the TDL. The only people who will know anything are those close to JT and they wouldn't say anything. The logical guess for everyone else is he's staying. This thread cooled off till someone basically claimed to have sources inside the JT camp and was called on it. Well and a few that would rather keep prospects as oppsed to trading for Tavares if that option became available
I think its very 'Bluesy' to keep dreaming something what we dont never get. Get drunk or high and have a moment of fantasy and be happy. More the reality hits you more you feel alive. Feeling Blue.
eeyore.gif

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
And I actually value what you did/said because it's actual input that can further spark discussion. What I was pointing out were the people that don't have any. They say how it won't happen, as if it's a foregone conclusion and no one should bother with the subject.

I agree that the likelihood of Taveras ever wearing a Blue note (again:sarcasm:) is next to nil. That still doesn't mean it's not something that should never be discussed. Until Taveras has a contract with the Islanders or someone else, I feel it's free game to speculate.

I'm not trying to single you out in any negative way, more just stating the difference in what I find okay and not okay.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
JR has never really been one to speculate anyway.

Forgot that he did those Q&A chats, haven't really heard from him since he switched to the Athletic. Click his articles all the time only to be hit with the need to put in my credit card for a "free" trial.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There are many posters on this board who's opinions I value more than the so-called "expert" journalists and T.V. commentators. Whether it's from watching as many games as possible, attending training camps and prospect camps, observing and reporting on our minor-pro and junior affiliates, the Blues HF community provides me with informed, detailed and insightful assessments of our roster, prospects, coaching and organizational tendencies. As a fan who has limited means of observing my beloved Blues at all these levels, I appreciate, and in fact rely, on the information provided by these posters. Discussions, like the one this thread is dedicated to, ask informed members to evaluate our roster and prospects in the light of a hypothetical trade. I find this invaluable. :)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So it turns out the rumor source for Tavares preferred destinations is Larry Brooks...its MTL, TOR, and TBL. Those teams make no sense...Montreal f***ing sucks, they arent a tweak away, even if that tweak is JT. Maybe its his dream to play there...idk, but given the downward trend of the team, not buying it. Toronto....I doubt they would seriously want him given they dont need forward help, but.....who knows. Tampa....what? Kucherov's next contract says no.

Now on NHL radio I caught the end of the JT talk but Mike Hanacher(?) Was speculating teams like Boston and LA....again, the cap says no.

Ive come to the conclusion....we're still on the ground floor and there isnt anything that makes sense that has traction.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Yeah none of those teams make sense but Montreal in terms of space. Kucherov and stamkos say no. Mathews and his cronies that have big pay days coming say no. Boston could certainly swing it actually, and la likely could if they shed some salary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Can Boston though? I'm not good at projecting teams Cap outside of looking on Cap Friendly, but Boston doesn't have space....Chara is coming off but they said he will be re signed.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Have to imagine most teams could shed salary if they wanted to for a guy like Tavares. Boston also is a one line team really so taking on Tavares gives him still top minutes with Bergeron likely taking d zone starts. Krejci and or backers could be moved or bought out.

Considering we will likely be bridging fabbri with a cheap contract for 1-2 years, I think we have an even better chance of signing JT to a contract in the realm of 9-10M. Just comes down to how interested he is in coming to STL. I have to imagine our team is somewhat appealing given our core and proven success over the last several years. Question just becomes, does he make it to free agency.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea I guess, its just guessing at this point. Both Backes and Krecji have big, hard to move contracts. What would the buy out look like, because they're adding 9-10m.

Im still look at teams like Carolina, Columbus, Ottawa and St. Louis. They either have the space or players that wouldnt be difficult to move and it would only take 1 player to open the space. I still say he re signs though. Islanders have pieces to make some strides.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If the cap says no to Boston then it says no to us as well. For next season, we currently have $1 mil less space to fill the same number of roster spots as Boston. Boston has more 'bad contracts', but all that really matters is how much space you still have left and who you need to re-sign. The only meaningful extensions for Boston are Chara and Spooner. They can structure Chara's contract to be bonus laden and push the cap issue a year down the line. Spooner is coming off a disappointing year and is now going to miss at least a month after starting slow this year. There is a very good chance that they lock up Chara/Spooner for less cap hit than we take for Ed/Fabbri. Simply put, they don't need to move Backes or Krecji to fit in Tavares. It would help them, but it isn't a necessity. Moving a guy like Miller, McQuaid, or Belesky wouldn't be tough and would be more than enough for them to fit in Tavares.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Ed and fabbri are going to be pretty stinking cheap. I doubt fabbri sees more than 2 million given he will have not played in almost two years. Ed is a solid 4/5 but he's a passenger on a top 4 d pairing. He's not going to command much more than what 3m depending on term.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ed and fabbri are going to be pretty stinking cheap. I doubt fabbri sees more than 2 million given he will have not played in almost two years. Ed is a solid 4/5 but he's a passenger on a top 4 d pairing. He's not going to command much more than what 3m depending on term.
I disagree, Eddie is playing at a solid top 4 defenseman level.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
While I don't think Tavares will come here, I think among the elites in the league the Blues have one of the best cap situations. Stastny's 7 mil is gone after this season and Berglund's no trade becomes limited. That alone clears over 10 mil. Even if we have to pay Ed soon his cap hit will be washed out by JBo leaving after next season with some cap savings too. If Tavares wants to leave the Islanders, get paid, and still be on a perennial cup contender then the Blues would be a perfect fit.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
If the cap says no to Boston then it says no to us as well. For next season, we currently have $1 mil less space to fill the same number of roster spots as Boston. Boston has more 'bad contracts', but all that really matters is how much space you still have left and who you need to re-sign. The only meaningful extensions for Boston are Chara and Spooner. They can structure Chara's contract to be bonus laden and push the cap issue a year down the line. Spooner is coming off a disappointing year and is now going to miss at least a month after starting slow this year. There is a very good chance that they lock up Chara/Spooner for less cap hit than we take for Ed/Fabbri. Simply put, they don't need to move Backes or Krecji to fit in Tavares. It would help them, but it isn't a necessity. Moving a guy like Miller, McQuaid, or Belesky wouldn't be tough and would be more than enough for them to fit in Tavares.
Chara and Spooner have nothing to do with Boston's future cap struggles. They have 40 mil tied up in 5 forwards and a goalie for the next 4 years at least and everyone except Pasta has a ntc. Where are they gonna get the money for McAvoy and Carlo? Definitely won't have the money if they add Tavares to their already top heavy team. You talk about Fabbri and Ed taking up cap space? Fabbri won't see any increase and Ed will wash out JBo's departure after next season. Also Gunnarsson likely will be traded by then and replaced by Dunn and Walman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad