The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jeff Gorton has experience but under him the Rangers drafted and have failed to develop Andersson, Kravstov, Kaako and Lafreniere.

While I'm not saying a good GM would have passed on those guys (especially not Kaako or Laf), it's really a bad look to not get at least one impact player from those picks.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He was, and Josh Flynn is handling it now (as evidenced by him in the Gaudreau signing Behind the battle negotiating to both his agent and gudbransons)
I'm sure they were handling crossing t's and dotting I's. No way does an assistant give out a Gadreau contract without all kinds of guidelines and final approvals from above.

And before someone asks- Do I really know? Not like Jarmo told me but from a common business sense pov it has to be that way.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm sure they were handling crossing t's and dotting I's. No way does an assistant give out a Gadreau contract without all kinds of guidelines and final approvals from above.

And before someone asks- Do I really know? Not like Jarmo told me but from a common business sense pov it has to be that way.
Oh yeah for sure. In the Gaudreau video Flynn even says he has to wait for final approval from ownership.

Reactions: EspenK

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I got you covered. He told me. I promise.

Reactions: EspenK

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

the behind the battle thing literally had him saying that they had to call ownership to confirm approval

there may be a threshold of when they need to call ownership but i assume that happens with any trade or non-two-way contract

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Is Portzline health condition affecting his speech ? Last couple podcast seems like his speech isn’t clear at all
The podcast two weeks ago had technical issues that caused it to end before planned. Several people who called in thought he had a cold - he said no - but that was more about his tone rather than inhibited speech.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
That's what a guy I know who's friend's mom's cousin knows an ex-player said.

Dont wanna say names lets just say I live in Finland. Shouldnt ne that hard to figure it out

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All I can say is that I know a guy whos good buddies with an ex jacket. He told me this ex player obsolutely hated Jarmo and expeciallly how he handled contract negotions.
What if the dude simply did didn’t deserve the contract he thought he did??

The CBJ team is literally in the place they are by giving a bunch of guys contracts they didn’t/don't deserve.

And they were at their absolute best when they were in the middle of playing “hardball” or whatever with everyone apparently.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Zito has also shown he's willing to make big moves.

I'm not sure jarmo could or would have been willing to pull off the Huberdeau for Tkachuk trade with Huberdeau coming off a 115 point season.
What would the hockey fans of Ohio said about trading a 115 point player??

That said, I’ll take this time to acknowledge the fact that we have officially turned the asset of Pierre Luc Dubois into nothing.

Dont wanna say names lets just say I live in Finland. Shouldnt ne that hard to figure it out
Just give us the number of (A’s) in their last name….

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
What would the hockey fans of Ohio said about trading a 115 point player??

That said, I’ll take this time to acknowledge the fact that we have officially turned the asset of Pierre Luc Dubois into nothing.

Just give us the number of (A’s) in their last name….
Pat
I would like to buy another vowel please

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

If you read the Kings board they would love to trade PLD for nothing.

Let’s take a look at the 2016 top 13 draft picks, because they got a lot more interesting this week (and I am not talking about Laine). #12 is turning himself into the police. I chose top 13 because #13 is Jake Bean.

At the time this was a well regarded draft class. I was excited when we moved into the top 3.

1706815127141.png

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
If you read the Kings board they would love to trade PLD for nothing.

Let’s take a look at the 2016 top 13 draft picks, because they got a lot more interesting this week (and I am not talking about Laine). #12 is turning himself into the police. I chose top 13 because #13 is Jake Bean.

At the time this was a well regarded draft class. I was excited when we moved into the top 3.

View attachment 813654
Everyone gets mad when I remind people, at least 60% of top draft picks don't live up to expectations. They usually think, but our draft picks will be different. The draft is a total crap shoot.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
How does this clown still have a job? I thought if he were going to be fired, it would be during the All-Star break. Our local nightmare continues.
My guess is if he is let go during this break, it will be after the All Star game itself as to not take away any headlines away from it. Still I am more confident he is fired in the off season at the earliest. We will see.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I feel 99.9% confident saying no one is getting fired in season. And I still think it’s only 50/50 Jarmo and/or JD are let go in the offseason. I hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Jovavic

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How does this clown still have a job? I thought if he were going to be fired, it would be during the All-Star break. Our local nightmare continues.
He's an All Star (along with JD) for snowing ownership.

Nah, strike that. They're Hall of Famers.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Would other teams allow us to interview their front office personnel in season?
Mostly no formally. Informally they might show interest and have a few discussion but as there are alot of NDA situations/focusing on their current job its far from the norm. Its usually why its either an Interim GM from inside the organization or someone that's not currently affiliated with another team/retired. Basically if Jarmo gets fired its either Flynn or Clark which is why I just see them just ending out the year if ownership is going to do the deed. People are terrified Jarmo is somehow going to screw the entire team with a long term deal but what these people don't realize is FO doesn't have unlimited signing authority (hell any business knows never EVER do that even with high ranking employees)...a majority of trades they still need ownership approval and right now I am sure FO is so handcuffed ANY discussion is a group discussion at this point with ownership.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know if Chris Clark is the best guy for the job, but it would be mighty convenient if he was. If you're waiting until the offseason to bring an outsider in, then they're not going to have time to make the changes they want to make, they might not be in place for the draft even. Next season would be an "evaluation year" for them, a way to learn about our team. That's a huge waste of time.

A good internal hire, if you have one, will already come with extensive knowledge and a plan on how they'd like to run the team differently. There is this mistaken idea that internal hires will follow Jarmo's organizational philosophy - remember when people thought Lars was too much like Torts 2.0 to take over the team? Too tough and too hard on talent? That was always a bullshit idea. You don't know what internal people think until you go through the process with them.

An outside hire has the potential advantage of knowing how things are run in another better run organization. But that idea doesn't always do well in reality, Chiarelli and Benning both came out of Boston's FO. I remember them in the behind the B video about not signing Horton. My opinion is that good organizations have some people that aren't so good and bad organizations have some people that are brilliant.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know if Chris Clark is the best guy for the job, but it would be mighty convenient if he was. If you're waiting until the offseason to bring an outsider in, then they're not going to have time to make the changes they want to make, they might not be in place for the draft even. Next season would be an "evaluation year" for them, a way to learn about our team. That's a huge waste of time.

A good internal hire, if you have one, will already come with extensive knowledge and a plan on how they'd like to run the team differently. There is this mistaken idea that internal hires will follow Jarmo's organizational philosophy - remember when people thought Lars was too much like Torts 2.0 to take over the team? Too tough and too hard on talent? That was always a bullshit idea. You don't know what internal people think until you go through the process with them.

An outside hire has the potential advantage of knowing how things are run in another better run organization. But that idea doesn't always do well in reality, Chiarelli and Benning both came out of Boston's FO. I remember them in the behind the B video about not signing Horton. My opinion is that good organizations have some people that aren't so good and bad organizations have some people that are brilliant.
Cue another round of "wahh we gave up on Zito and Bednar"... ;)

Reactions: majormajor

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH

Even if they view him as a good candidate, I like the idea of running a more comprehensive interview process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad