Injury Report: The Infirmary

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If you're going to play your best players on the PK, at least make sure they know how to block shots the right way. That seems to be a huge issue with both Barkov and Trocheck

Yep, I was thinking the same thing, this is something they have to get right.

Marchand and Bergeron are used in the most difficult situations you can and always 1st options for pk but you see them play game after game.
Also Krejci and Eriksson are regular penalty killers and go to guys in defensive situations.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
First post! Unfortunately to ask this question.

Are the panthers cursed? I cannot recall seeing a franchise so plagued by injury every season. And I follow the Marlins and Dolphins too, who are constantly riddled with injuries.

Is it the bad ice at home? Bad conditioning? Hockey gods having fun at our expanse?

Indian. Burial. Grounds.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
5th on the team. Over 60 minutes of PK time. 47 seconds per game. That's not insignificant.

You'd be shocked at the names that play more PK time than our best forwards.

Our best PK guys in order: Mac, Guds, RSmith/Jokinen. Then the next grouping. Problem is Guds and Mac are still injured. Tro is in that next level of PKers but needed to be out there along with Barkov.

Howden SHOULD be a guy taking these minutes out of Tro/Barkovs hands. Been saying this since day 1. His game screams major PK minutes.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
according to george richards the high hit gudbranson took from greening may have caused a concussion. he's headed back to florida.

with 3 games left just hold him out till playoffs start. hopefully he and trocheck will both be back in time. gudbranson was a beast in '12 and he's much better now than he was then, it really is imperative for us that he's ready for game 1. i wouldnt be too confident with petrovic, kindl, kampfer making up half out d.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
according to george richards the high hit gudbranson took from greening may have caused a concussion. he's headed back to florida.

with 3 games left just hold him out till playoffs start. hopefully he and trocheck will both be back in time. gudbranson was a beast in '12 and he's much better now than he was then, it really is imperative for us that he's ready for game 1. i wouldnt be too confident with petrovic, kindl, kampfer making up half out d.

Yep, already posted that a couple hours ago in the other thread ;)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Cheap shot by Greening with the elbow to Guds head. You could see Gudbranson give the ref an earful for not making the call. I doubt Guds will ever get a chance to even the score when he is healthy next year as Greening is a perpetual AHL'r. The shot he took on the boards looked to be in the thigh but it could have effected the sore foot.

I thought Gudbranson looked rusty. He made some bad decisions with gap control and had a turnover high against the boards in his own zone that led to a scoring chance. I have my doubts Gudbranson is going to be healthy enough to be effective in the first series. If he can can recover from the concussion and get his game back, then maybe he will be ready for the 2nd series if they make it that far.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
McKegg in for Howden

Have to believe Howden has some sort of injury. Watching him skate against the Leafs he looked slow. My guess would be some sort of groin pull (sports hernia) where he can't extend himself. He sat for a few games and looked good for a number of shifts, but then seemed very cautious to extend his stride.

McKegg has good speed but not as physical, but he definitely has better skills with the puck than Howden. Nice goal tonight.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Cheap shot by Greening with the elbow to Guds head. You could see Gudbranson give the ref an earful for not making the call. I doubt Guds will ever get a chance to even the score when he is healthy next year as Greening is a perpetual AHL'r.

Here is an article by Kerry Fraser on "Finishing your hits, boys".

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-finish-your-checks-boys-1.465056

I believe this is exactly the problem today and the cheapshot head hit on Guds is a perfect example. If you hit, do it right. Otherwise curl away.

Hopefully he will be ok for first round, I was waiting all season to see the real Gudbranson

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Here is an article by Kerry Fraser on "Finishing your hits, boys".

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-finish-your-checks-boys-1.465056

I believe this is exactly the problem today and the cheapshot head hit on Guds is a perfect example. If you hit, do it right. Otherwise curl away.

Hopefully he will be ok for first round, I was waiting all season to see the real Gudbranson
Thanks for the article.

It all boils down to respect. Some players understand the ramifications of hitting players that are vulnerable and others just don't care. Mitchell said he thought Shanahan did a good job as director of Player Safety but he certainly insinuated that the present director and his colleagues have taken a step backwards.

Until the league has a zero tolerance for any kind of head shot where a player has the option of finishing or attempting to curl away or ease up on a vulnerable player, then there will always be guys who will look to injure opponents. Anything with intentional blatant ramifications needs to be 10 games to 30 depending on injury or no injury. Minimum of 5 games with no apparent injury and 10 games to 30 games with injury for non blatant intent. It's time for NHLPA to take a stand for their players future health.

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Thanks for the article.

It all boils down to respect. Some players understand the ramifications of hitting players that are vulnerable and others just don't care. Mitchell said he thought Shanahan did a good job as director of Player Safety but he certainly insinuated that the present director and his colleagues have taken a step backwards.

Until the league has a zero tolerance for any kind of head shot where a player has the option of finishing or attempting to curl away or ease up on a vulnerable player, then there will always be guys who will look to injure opponents. Anything with intentional blatant ramifications needs to be 10 games to 30 depending on injury or no injury. Minimum of 5 games with no apparent injury and 10 games to 30 games with injury for non blatant intent. It's time for NHLPA to take a stand for their players future health.

I absolutely agree. The current safety board is a joke, they have to put the hammer down in such situations (I liked Kerry's Torres example where he gets hit with 41 games but the others without prior history hover get like 5).

All these kind of plays are with intend to injure and rackless, so if that doesn't call for severe penalties, what will?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I absolutely agree. The current safety board is a joke, they have to put the hammer down in such situations (I liked Kerry's Torres example where he gets hit with 41 games but the others without prior history hover get like 5).

All these kind of plays are with intend to injure and rackless, so if that doesn't call for severe penalties, what will?
I just read where a 23 year old NFL player has decided to retire because of 4 concussions. This type of thing is going to happen more and more as players decide it just not worth it to jeopardize their future mental health to satisfy those traditionalists that feel certain sports need an extreme element of physical violence to maintain an attraction for many sports enthusiasts.

Gary Bettman and the NHL brass are on record in many emails that they need to protect the traditional physical integrity of the game. It's only the possibility of future class action law suits that have grudgingly pushed them towards installing rules that can be circumvented by some sly fox like Gudas who continues to play on the edge as his victim count mounts. That coupled with lax interpretation by the present Players Safety Committee only further encourages the continuation of shots like Guds received the other night.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Is it true that thehit on Gudbranson was not even reviewed? This would not be the first time against us that this is the case. It's getting ridiculous

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Is it true that thehit on Gudbranson was not even reviewed? This would not be the first time against us that this is the case. It's getting ridiculous
It happens all over the league, it's not just the Panthers. You can point to that hit or the hit Yandle put on Pirri or the Gudas hit on Upshall. These were all hits with malicious intent to injure. I don't think Abdelkader's hit on Barkov was malicious intent, but when a player has his head down and is vulnerable, the player needs to pull up and not follow through. The league refuses to review many hits to the head where a player is out for a few weeks with a concussion. The Player Safety Committee seems to look at random hits to show they are doing something, or if there is obvious outrage by the coach and they get a call from the GM. Even when they do get a call, most are ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad